03-28-2017, 04:10 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Agree… there is no better brush than Thater… just MORE EXPENSIVE ones.

80 3,341
 03-28-2017, 08:07 AM
User Info
(03-28-2017, 01:46 AM)German Wrote: Honestly, I don't see how this would cause you to doubt overall manufacturer quality. This can happen  to any brush anytime. And it can be fixed rather easily.

Well, episodes like this cause customers like me to lose confidence. I did not know that knots fall out of brushes anytime....I really did not. As always, it's the way a company handles such things that makes all the difference. I had a Shavemac brush that came to me with a shedding problem, i reached out to the owner and he made it right. Whether i purchase that brand again or not does not matter, i certainly do respect him for treating me fairly. And now i know he stands behind his products. 

I have written to the folks at Thater. I am not expecting miracles since the brush is not under warranty anyway. Im just surprised that this happened since i treat all my stuff with a lot of care. This is a brush i really like....i hope it's as easy to fix as you say. I will update when i have more news.

1 119
 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM
User Info
(03-28-2017, 08:07 AM)Tester28 Wrote:
(03-28-2017, 01:46 AM)German Wrote: Honestly, I don't see how this would cause you to doubt overall manufacturer quality. This can happen  to any brush anytime. And it can be fixed rather easily.

Well, episodes like this cause customers like me to lose confidence. I did not know that knots fall out of brushes anytime....I really did not. As always, it's the way a company handles such things that makes all the difference. I had a Shavemac brush that came to me with a shedding problem, i reached out to the owner and he made it right. Whether i purchase that brand again or not does not matter, i certainly do respect him for treating me fairly. And now i know he stands behind his products. 

I have written to the folks at Thater. I am not expecting miracles since the brush is not under warranty anyway. Im just surprised that this happened since i treat all my stuff with a lot of care. This is a brush i really like....i hope it's as easy to fix as you say. I will update when i have more news.

I can understand this being very troubling if one does not know knots can fall out of any quality brush.  The first time it happened to me years ago I was very upset about it, and was planning on sending the brush to a custom brush maker to have it "repaired."  I then learned that gluing the knot back in with a quality, two-part epoxy is quick and easy.  This is an example of where your fellow TSM members can be a big help.

52 7,686
 03-28-2017, 07:29 PM
User Info
Very satisfied with the responses both from the vendor (Royal Shave) and Thater.

1. Royalshave very kindly offered a discount on a replacement brush, even though
they didn't have to. Excellent service, I thought.

2. A Mr. Schuldes from Thater wrote and asked to send the brush back and they would 
repair it. I get the impression of a company that stands behind what it makes. So I'm
happy to admit that my lack of optimism was misplaced. 

Anyway, based on the tons of feedback from you marvellous gents, I used some 
Devcon epoxy to reseat the knot by matching the breaks in the handle. It is presently
curing and I am going to leave it alone for 48 hours. If that doesn't hold, I'll send it to Thater.

I've really enjoyed using my Thater 2-band and would recommend it to anyone.

[Image: XrfKp9K.jpg][Image: uyz105C.jpg]

1 119
 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
User Info
Glad to see that it worked out so well for you.  The knot should hold after being glued with Devcon.

52 7,686
 04-03-2017, 11:44 PM
User Info
Glad to see you have it glued back together. It's never fun to have a knot come loose, but it does happen from time to time.

71 2,238
 04-08-2017, 12:36 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
interested in seeing the results.

87 1,583
 04-10-2017, 07:07 AM
User Info
So, I reseated the knot around 10 days ago. Since then I have been using the brush just about every other day….to see if it reveals any weaknesses,
and if I was wrong in not sending it to Thater for repair. But the brush has held up remarkably well, no issues that I can see.

All thanks to some awesome tips here….and Devcon 2-part epoxy.

Here it is post repair:

Pre-Shave:

[Image: h8SkOBO.jpg]

Post Shave:

[Image: QJtHsHb.jpg]

1 119
 04-10-2017, 05:21 PM
User Info
Good to see you resolved it without having to send the brush back.  That knot should hold just fine.

52 7,686
 06-30-2018, 02:47 AM
User Info
Update:

Since I fixed it I have been using the brush regularly (with even more care in rinsing and drying it)....and Im noticing that it is shedding 
excessively.

[Image: 9U9FOxS.jpg]

1 119
 06-30-2018, 07:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
If you like the handle, at this point you should look into having it re-knotted. I’ve been quite pleased with the work of Bob Quinn and Rudy Vey, who both turned well-liked handles into functional brushes.

8 2,771
 06-30-2018, 08:15 AM
User Info
Buy a new head and glue it in the Thater handle. You did it once. Thumbsup 
U can do it.. Badger

0 399
 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM
User Info
Clean out the hole and send it to Declaration Grooming for a B5 re-knot. 

45 4,452
 06-30-2018, 01:14 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 04:52 AM)Tester28 Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 02:13 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Your knot fell out, which can happen with any brush.  All you need is a small amount of 2-part epoxy to glue the knot back in.

I will get some Devcon 2part epoxy from the hardware store.

Looking at the pics, do you guys think I need any prep (eg. cleaning the surfaces with acetone, sandpapering etc)…or just I drop the epoxy in and glue it?

I'm very sorry to hear about this.  It's disheartening for sure.

4 724
 06-30-2018, 01:33 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Like many (most) products made in the world today, there are occasional failures (yes, even heart valves fail)
It looks like you have a sub-standard brush.

I suggest an email to Thater along with pictures. Give them an opportunity to make it right for you.
If not, move on. There are a number of excellent brushes in today's marketplace (Paladin, Shavemac, various artisans, etc)

62 1,726
 06-30-2018, 01:47 PM
User Info
I know how you feel. I had two, not one, two SV Ebony handle brushes fall apart. One lasted 4-5 days. Number two, like two weeks.
Thank goodness Fendrihan took care of the problem (full refund). I guess the guy made both brushes and did a lousy job that day.
Anything can and will fail at some point. Good luck on your decision.....Repair or replace.

0 399
 07-06-2018, 08:49 AM
User Info
Thater offered me a solution and Ive taken them up on it.

Ive mailed them the brush and they will put in a new knot.

Price is reasonable so happy to have some new life breathed into this excellent performer.

1 119
 07-09-2018, 07:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would say that's two stars for Thater.  First they offer to fix the brush over a year ago but you chose to re-glue the knot, them now that it starts loosing hair they offer to put in a new knot at a discounted price.

For the record, I would have done what you did and re-glued it.  Glad you are getting it fixed.  Let us know what you think once you get it back.

180 24,733
 07-12-2018, 09:59 PM
User Info
Perhaps the cost he is speaking of is just the cost of shipping it back for a knot replacement? If it is the latter and he did have to pay for a knot to be put in I would agree wholeheartedly.

29 807