03-26-2017, 10:30 AM
User Info
So I have a very rare German DE slant called a cowboy razor. I have had it (and used the heck out of it) for about 5 years and the plating is just not holding up.

This razor is the most incredible shave I have ever used, everything about it it just agrees with my face and I have never had a better shave from anything. I had a backup, which was in pristine condition, and the was one of only two I have ever seen in the wild (the other being my daily shaver) and foolishly I sold it thinking I would not have any issues with my daily driver.

I would like to have the head restored, and possibly 24k gold plated or maybe nickel or ruthenium. A few questions:

1. Who would YOU trust to restore this razor if it were yours?

2. How can I tell if the head is "pot metal"? I see a common trend from people who restore razors saying no pot metal.

3. If it is pot metal, can anything be done?

The plating is actively coming off and I would like to save this shaver before it is too far gone. Thanks for your help!

3 77
 03-26-2017, 11:11 AM
User Info
Post some pictures.

I don't know if anyone does pot metal. If it's brass I've heard nothing but good things about Chris at razorplate.com. He's got a bit of a wait. I would email him if I were you.

9 1,407
 03-26-2017, 02:34 PM
User Info
 03-26-2017, 03:14 PM
User Info
Oh... Sorry man.

It looks like Zamak to me.

Lovely razor. I don't think anyone will do the restore on that. 

Have you tried any of the new slants available? 

It looks very similar to the Merkur made vintage slants. There were many brand names. It's not exactly the same but it's similar looking to me.

I would look for a nice example of a Hoffritz or Coles branded vintage slant along with another Cowboy and buy a new slant from one of the new manufacturers to try out. 

Definitely get in touch with a replater though. Don't take my word for it. I may be wrong about it.

9 1,407
 03-26-2017, 03:45 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-26-2017, 03:14 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: It looks like Zamak to me.

It looks very similar to the Merkur made vintage slants.

Agree that that looks like a zinc alloy (predecessor to Zamak) substrate.

The shape of the top cap and baseplate, and of the teeth on the baseplate bar, also look a lot like the iKon Stainless Steel Slant head (with B1 coating), which is a tad pricey compared with replating (if the OP could find anybody who would do it), but which should last several lifetimes.

1 1,086
 03-26-2017, 04:08 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 03:45 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 03:14 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: It looks like Zamak to me.

It looks very similar to the Merkur made vintage slants.

Agree that that looks like a zinc alloy (predecessor to Zamak) substrate.

The shape of the top cap and baseplate, and of the teeth on the baseplate bar, also look a lot like the iKon Stainless Steel Slant head (with B1 coating), which is a tad pricey compared with replating (if the OP could find anybody who would do it), but which should last several lifetimes.

Bummer, I assumed worst case that it was a long shot. Are there any members here that service and restore existing razors?

Notice on mine how the head slants the opposite direction of all current production slants.

3 77
 03-26-2017, 04:37 PM
User Info
If pot metal cannot be chrome or gold  plated, could it be coated by someone like Delta Echo who uses DLC like coatings?  I'm not sure how those are applied and the requirements.  Might be worth looking into.

17 1,413
 03-26-2017, 04:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Looks very much like the LUTZ slant I have  ...probably can be hand polished or buffed on a felt wheel...I would try FLITZ metal polish and a soft cloth first...you might be quite satisfied....then keep a light coating of high quality sewing machine oil.....apply with a Q-tip...keeps it from staining.

6 2,023
 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 04:37 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: If pot metal cannot be chrome or gold  plated, could it be coated by someone like Delta Echo who uses DLC like coatings?  I'm not sure how those are applied and the requirements.  Might be worth looking into.

Not a bad idea. I thought they did cerakote or gunkote?

I would love it if someone could DLC coat the razor.

3 77
 03-26-2017, 05:40 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 04:45 PM)Harvey Wrote: Looks very much like the LUTZ slant I have  ...probably can be hand polished or buffed on a felt wheel...I would try FLITZ metal polish and a soft cloth first...you might be quite satisfied....then keep a light coating of high quality sewing machine oil.....apply with a Q-tip...keeps it from staining.

The base metal is a dull dark gray, almost black. If I used polish on it I think it would only take more plating off.

I wonder what the reason behind not being able to hold or nickel plate the alloy is? It was played when it was made...

3 77
 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
I guess they do cerakote. I assumed that was similar to DLC. Honestly not sure!

17 1,413
 03-26-2017, 05:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
If you try the metal polish it is very likely that the black will come right off...certainly will not ruin the metal at any rate....only abrasives will do that...polish will not.

6 2,023
 03-26-2017, 05:48 PM
User Info
 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 05:45 PM)Harvey Wrote: If you try the metal polish it is very likely that the black will come right off...certainly will not ruin the metal at any rate....only abrasives will do that...polish will not.

The black is the metal under the plating

3 77