03-26-2017, 02:36 PM
User Info
Being new to the world of Badger, Boar, and all things brush related, I decided (maybe unwisely) to modify an old, but like new Stanhome "Badger & Bristle" brush that had too much Loft for my "style". Figured I had little to lose as old brushes like this sell for next to nothing on Ebay, which is where I got it. So out came the scissors and off went about 8mm of height...trimmed it down to a fairly flat-ish shape, just above the colored band. After this bit of surgery, I got on line and checked "Google" for any posts about doing this, and found it was not a recommended procedure. I know, bass-akwards way to do things....
In my case it worked really well, I tried it out and it's near perfect! Has some spine to it, the floppy mop now wonderfully firm, doesn't feel scritchy or harsh and pulls soap outta the tin like a champ. Lather's great, even in a bowl, although I'll use it mostly for face lathering.
Just another Noob adventure, but with a happy ending.

I do not recommend this, but if your going to try, use a cheap replaceable brush.

Kev-mo

0 5
 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Interesting. First time I've heard of this actually working out satisfactorily. I once considered doing the same thing to a SOC boar which I felt was floppy and mop-like. Considered it but didn't.

Welcome to the forum Smile

7 2,159
 03-26-2017, 05:18 PM
User Info
Can we please see a picture of what this brush looks like now?

50 6,107
 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM
User Info
Agreed, I'd love to see how it came out

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 337
 03-27-2017, 08:14 AM
User Info
[Image: 4mBHoAl.jpg][Image: vvgQYHu.jpg][Image: DbGZFjZ.jpg]Here's a look at my modification. As this was more of a "proof of concept, but I doubt it'll work" attempt, it took me all of 2 minutes to cut, and looks like it..LOL Used it again last night and I will stress, it has serious backbone. Doesn't "paint" well, nor splay much, but sure gives some exfoliation action. Not sure if you can see them, but there are some ends already splitting, but I suspect they were like that before the cut.
I appreciate you guys not diss'ing me for a somewhat questionable action. It's all about the fun, right?

0 5
 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
Looks nice to me...!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479