03-27-2017, 01:59 PM
User Info
So keen to try an SE, I grabbed an ATT SE1 and Feather Artist Pro blades. I had a shave with them last week. Oh my. What a disaster. 

Cuts, knicks, razor burn, irritation and generally one of the worst shaves I have had in a very, very long time. The one good thing was it was close - perhaps too close: I'm blessed with a coarse beard and fair sensitive skin, and my skin felt fairly abused by the experience.

Can I ask - is there any special knack to using an SE? Is the angle different? do you need shorter strokes? Any hints generally?

Many thanks

Andrew

0 35
 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi Andrew. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a grand irritation you've got there. OUCH! Try backing off a bit. With my vintage SEs, my mantra is "negative pressure and flat to the face." In your problem areas try going with and across the grain only. Maybe only with the grain until your technique improves. And yes, shortening your strokes couldn't hurt. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress Smile

7 2,283
 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I've never used an SE1 but I use a King Cobra and a Classic Cobra with artist club blades - Feather Pros and Kai Milds.  I also have fair sensitive skin that gets irritated very easily. 

What soap were you using?  If you had any lather issues that can contribute greatly to a bad shave.

Feather Pros can be harsh if you use too much pressure, especially in the first few shaves (they smooth out).  Watch your pressure, keep it light and relaxed.  I'd suggest starting with Kai Mild blades.  They are very smooth and create less irritation (in my experience) than the Feathers.

The more you practice with that razor the more you'll learn what angle is best (maybe you were too steep?), length of stroke, etc.

Eric

49 978
 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
You are also using a fairly aggressive blade. May want to start out with a Feather pro guard or Kai captain until you dial in your technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 227
 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 01:59 PM)Andrew George Wrote: So keen to try an SE, I grabbed an ATT SE1 and Feather Artist Pro blades. I had a shave with them last week. Oh my. What a disaster. 

Cuts, knicks, razor burn, irritation and generally one of the worst shaves I have had in a very, very long time. The one good thing was it was close - perhaps too close: I'm blessed with a coarse beard and fair sensitive skin, and my skin felt fairly abused by the experience.

Can I ask - is there any special knack to using an SE? Is the angle different? do you need shorter strokes? Any hints generally?

Many thanks

Andrew

Dear Andrew;

Simply put, those feathers are one of the sharpest objects in the universe. When they say no pressure it means no pressure. Dont worry about it. You will learn it or you will bleed to death. Jajajaja. Just kiddin.

It is a different ballgame. The buffing its just a fraction, if any. All in all, technique is not the same.

Dont be descouraged. As technique improves your skin start to develop resistance to a new level of aggression and everything has a happy ending in about two to three more shaves (given that you give yourself one day of rest between shaves).

In this new level, preshave routine should have a new meaning. Use your best soap. Take your time. Shut off the water. Turn the volume down. Pay attention. I remember not so long ago, my first shave with a super pro, i was afraid. Jeje. My hand trembled and i just could not go. The next day i tamed my demons and it was boody. Boody, close and great. You see, i started wet shaving with straight razors...

It all will make your future shaves more meaningful, knowing that you tamed the beast, and are among the few walking the streets of the earth with a REAL bbs.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 02:38 PM)cdude62 Wrote: You are also using a fairly aggressive blade. May want to start out with a Feather pro guard or Kai captain until you dial in your technique.

+1

54 1,201
 03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
User Info
Hmmn... I'll be the contrarian here. I find the ATT SE1 to be a fairly mild razor, and the pro's paired with this razor to be very well tamed. I can actually use pressure and still not get knicks/cut/weepers with this combo.

I'd start with your prep, specifically lather. I'd also make sure you've mapped your beard (can you use a DE and get irritation free shaves?). I didn't have to change my technique when transitioning from the ATT H1 to the SE1, and the H1 is quite a bit more aggressive.

29 1,152
 03-27-2017, 08:10 PM
User Info
I agree with the point above that SE1 is a mild razor and I use Kai blades with it for my coarse beard and sensitive skin ( lovely combo isn't it ). I really believe that SE1 needs a good lather, dryish lather is really bad. What soap are you using?

10 205
 03-28-2017, 01:16 AM
User Info
Thanks for all your replies.

MdC soap. Lather is pretty decent. Just a very sensitive skin. DE = ATT S1 and no issues with Pols, but bad irritation with eg Feathers. 

I'm sure its just me mucking it up.

Onwards!

0 35
 03-28-2017, 02:17 AM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 01:59 PM)Andrew George Wrote: So keen to try an SE, I grabbed an ATT SE1 and Feather Artist Pro blades. I had a shave with them last week. Oh my. What a disaster. 

Many thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I had pretty much a similar experience Sunday night. I was in my hometown and asked my Dad about his DE Razor which he used to have 30-35 years back. He came back in few minutes with an Old Spice open comb razor. After I reached my place I was too anxious to use the razor. I cleaned it up thoroughly and put Polsilver in it and prepped for my first shave with it.

Though I liked the blade feel of OC I guess I used lot of pressure on the handle in order to get a close shave. My face was all reddened, irritation and itching followed that shave.

Today morning again I tried it and it was a comfortable shave. I didn't use any pressure at all. I let the blade follow through the lather gently.

SE or DE, short strokes, right angle and mild /nil pressure at all well do the job fine. Good lather helps.

1 834
 03-28-2017, 03:42 PM
User Info
(03-28-2017, 01:16 AM)Andrew George Wrote: Thanks for all your replies.

MdC soap. Lather is pretty decent. Just a very sensitive skin. DE = ATT S1 and no issues with Pols, but bad irritation with eg Feathers. 

I'm sure its just me mucking it up.

Onwards!

When you get it dialed in, it's a fantastic razor. I love my ATT H1, but I haven't used it in the three weeks since I received the SE1. I can use pro's just fine, but pro-supers really do it for me. My neck is sensitive, and a sharp blade & great prep seem to be the solution.

29 1,152
 03-28-2017, 04:17 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 01:59 PM)Andrew George Wrote: Can I ask - is there any special knack to using an SE? Is the angle different? do you need shorter strokes? Any hints generally?

I've not used that razor, but I believe vintage SEs are meant to be used with the head nearly flat against the skin, so yes, different angle than a DE.

0 1,085
 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM
User Info
Like Mike_the_Kraken, I find the ATT SE1 a fairly mild SE razor. The difference between that one and the others I use (Cobras, Mongoose, Alumigoose, Asylum Rx) is that those all have 'flat spots' on the head. That flat area is meant to be placed against the face which sets the optimal angle for MOST users. As usual, it's subject to a little tweaking based on the individual. The ATT SE1, OTOH, has a 'rounded' head, so it can be a little trickier to find the angle.

I agree with Shannon-err on the side of a shallower angle-handle more PARALLEL to the floor. In fact you can start with the handle completely parallel to the floor so that no blade touches the skin, and then very slowly angle the handle down so you just feel the blade engage. Then use short, gentle strokes.

I find that what the Straight Razor shavers prefer in terms of lather applies to SE shaving-go for a wetter, slicker, lather for the shaves.

The Artist Club style blades are the sharpest blades out there, and require good technique.

24 646
 03-29-2017, 03:09 AM
User Info
Thanks Fella's

Some great tips there. Will have another bash this weekend.

0 35
 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM
User Info
I had another attempt this morning - impatience got the better of me. 

BTW I'm obviously on the other side of the world to most of you folks. My morning is USA afternoon/evening. 

This morning I treated the SE1 with alot more respect than I did the first time. Usual pre shave routine but added some TOBS pre shave gel before applying the lather. Not something I usually ever need, or bother with. Good product that, btw. 

I took it very slowly today and was conscious of both having a fairly steep angle and light or no pressure. I also kept my strokes short. And I wore my glasses. Not something I usually do. 

I admit to trepidation. 

On my face and with my beard it was an interesting experience. I certainly can't get away with what I do with a DE - I have to be much much more careful, and really pay attention to my face and how the blade, which is long and fairly rigid, met it. Keeping my aging face taught more than I usually would, also assisted.  

I had to be very, very careful around the neck, particularly on the first pass. Second and third passes were much more comfortable - not in the league of the DE I use - but tolerable.

Long story short, this mornings experience was much improved - no cuts, blood or major irritation - except right under the nose where I managed some razor burn: getting those whiskers right under the nose is always a challenge for me. The smaller head of the DE helps here. 

Am I sold? - not at the moment. I prefer the shorter blade length of the DE and its ease of use and comfort generally. I don't get as quite as close a shave, but then again, I'm not sure I either want or need to. As I type this, my skin is still tingling some 50 minutes  after shaving - this after applying copious quantities of witch-hazel and some balm to calm it down. With a DE it is perhaps a couple minutes that it tingles. I've not been game to go near it with an after shave. 

So I would say that all things being equal, and in my very inexperienced hands and with my beard, the SE gives a much closer shave than my DE, but it takes longer, is far more technique sensitive and the closeness causes me some skin irritation. 

I'll have another bash in a few days once my face settles down again. Hopefully after 3 shaves the blade might also have calmed down a little. 

Many thanks for all your help everyone - 

Kind Regards'
Andrew

post script - I'm really glad I didn't buy a straight.

0 35
 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
(03-29-2017, 02:13 PM)Andrew George Wrote: I had another attempt this morning - impatience got the better of me. 

BTW I'm obviously on the other side of the world to most of you folks. My morning is USA afternoon/evening. 

This morning I treated the SE1 with alot more respect than I did the first time. Usual pre shave routine but added some TOBS pre shave gel before applying the lather. Not something I usually ever need, or bother with. Good product that, btw. 

I took it very slowly today and was conscious of both having a fairly steep angle and light or no pressure. I also kept my strokes short. And I wore my glasses. Not something I usually do. 

I admit to trepidation. 

On my face and with my beard it was an interesting experience. I certainly can't get away with what I do with a DE - I have to be much much more careful, and really pay attention to my face and how the blade, which is long and fairly rigid, met it. Keeping my aging face taught more than I usually would, also assisted.  

I had to be very, very careful around the neck, particularly on the first pass. Second and third passes were much more comfortable - not in the league of the DE I use - but tolerable.

Long story short, this mornings experience was much improved - no cuts, blood or major irritation - except right under the nose where I managed some razor burn: getting those whiskers right under the nose is always a challenge for me. The smaller head of the DE helps here. 

Am I sold? - not at the moment. I prefer the shorter blade length of the DE and its ease of use and comfort generally. I don't get as quite as close a shave, but then again, I'm not sure I either want or need to. As I type this, my skin is still tingling some 50 minutes  after shaving - this after applying copious quantities of witch-hazel and some balm to calm it down. With a DE it is perhaps a couple minutes that it tingles. I've not been game to go near it with an after shave. 

So I would say that all things being equal, and in my very inexperienced hands and with my beard, the SE gives a much closer shave than my DE, but it takes longer, is far more technique sensitive and the closeness causes me some skin irritation. 

I'll have another bash in a few days once my face settles down again. Hopefully after 3 shaves the blade might also have calmed down a little. 

Many thanks for all your help everyone - 

Kind Regards'
Andrew

post script - I'm really glad I didn't buy a straight.

I am really glad to read this words... keep going.

0 479
 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM
User Info
This morning was attempt number 3. 

I was nervous, and approached the event with some trepidation and respect. 

Same preparation as last time - hot shower, MdC on my Plisson, TOBS pre gel and a decent 30 second face lather. This time however I paid particularly attention to the pressure on the blade - negative pressure I think one person wrote - and it rewarded. I didn't worry about angle so much this time - my feeling is the ATT SE1 is moderately aggressive razor and has excellent built in blade angle. 

Short confident strokes, with focus on the blade pressure was the key for me. No nicks or cut or significant irritation. I only also made two passes - not three. It left a few areas not as smooth as I usually have them, but had no significant tingling afterwards. Witch-hazel and TOBS Sandelwood straight afterwards without issue. 

Interestingly by pass 2 the blade was beginning to tug a little. My beard is very coarse for Celtic skin, and I usually only use a DE blade for two shaves. How many shaves can one reasonably expect from an Artist Pro or other SE blade?

I shall try the Kai Captain as recommended by another fellow coarse beard/sensitive skin sufferer. Thank you for that my friend.

If i have one compliant, and it is minor, it is that loading the SE blade in the SE1 isn't as straightforward as loading a DE in my S1. I have to don the glasses for that.

Again - thank you to all that have posted and helped guide me through a new experience. Even closer to 60 than 50, one learns new things in this hobby.

Best Wishes
Andrew

0 35
 03-31-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
(03-31-2017, 04:57 PM)Andrew George Wrote: This morning was attempt number 3. 

I was nervous, and approached the event with some trepidation and respect. 

Same preparation as last time - hot shower, MdC on my Plisson, TOBS pre gel and a decent 30 second face lather. This time however I paid particularly attention to the pressure on the blade - negative pressure I think one person wrote - and it rewarded. I didn't worry about angle so much this time - my feeling is the ATT SE1 is moderately aggressive razor and has excellent built in blade angle. 

Short confident strokes, with focus on the blade pressure was the key for me. No nicks or cut or significant irritation. I only also made two passes - not three. It left a few areas not as smooth as I usually have them, but had no significant tingling afterwards. Witch-hazel and TOBS Sandelwood straight afterwards without issue. 

Interestingly by pass 2 the blade was beginning to tug a little. My beard is very coarse for Celtic skin, and I usually only use a DE blade for two shaves. How many shaves can one reasonably expect from an Artist Pro or other SE blade?

I shall try the Kai Captain as recommended by another fellow coarse beard/sensitive skin sufferer. Thank you for that my friend.

If i have one compliant, and it is minor, it is that loading the SE blade in the SE1 isn't as straightforward as loading a DE in my S1. I have to don the glasses for that.

Again - thank you to all that have posted and helped guide me through a new experience. Even closer to 60 than 50, one learns new things in this hobby.

Best Wishes
Andrew

The amount of passes a blade can give is extremely YMMV. My Kai AC blades do 12 passes for me max. That's sometimes 3 shaves or 2.5 shaves

10 205
 03-31-2017, 05:37 PM
User Info
+1 on Kai blade experience

36 901
 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM
User Info
Thanks for the recommendations on the Kai Captains - I have a 20 pack on the way. 

Along with a Geo F. Trumper Wild Fern, for good measure.

0 35