03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
User Info
Hey All,

We changed our Web site template quite a bit.  It's not quite where I want it, but it's close.  If you've got a second, let us know what you think:

http://www.shannonssoaps.com

Any constructive feed back would be much appreciated.  I'm curious to know in particular if the site looks trustworthy, but other feedback is more than welcome (e.g., design, navigation, product information, etc.).

Thanks!

Brian

P.S. - The template is responsive now, which means it should work pretty well on mobile devices. This was one of the main drivers behind the change.

0 1,072
 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
It's pretty good. Clean, easy to navigate and understand. The homepage should prominently feature the products (with photos) - but the first thing I see (without scrolling) is statement about a fire and a link to learn more. That's something I'd expect to have less importance, and thus much further down the page. Buy via PayPal is everywhere I expect it to be (right next to each item), leading me to believe that I'll have an easy checkout experience. I wasn't badgered with pop-ups asking me to subscribe to a newsletter (thanks!). It does look templated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. (Viewed on an iPad Air)

28 1,097
 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Definitely easy to navigate. I'd get rid of the river fire factoid or drop it into an "about us" tab. I also honestly think your photos could use a lot of work. Compare against the SOTD photos. The gray no skid background and slightly out of focus shots (is it just my phone..?) really detracts from your products. One example is the cafe mocha LE soap. What a missed opportunity to nestle that tub in a pile of coffee beans. Just my opinion, worth 2c. Lol.

Eric

48 976
 03-28-2017, 04:49 AM
User Info
Thanks, guys. Your feedback is extremely helpful. I totally agree... The photography does need work. The banner is actually a photo problem as well - it's the only image I had that would fit the space. I do like working in the story, but there are better ways to do it.

I'll get working on it.

Thanks again.  Any kind of feedback - product, Web site, whatever - is always welcome.

0 1,072
 03-28-2017, 05:04 AM
User Info
So far it seems a concurrence to take the burning river out of the forefront. I would have expected to see a more soap oriented theme.  I appreciate your pride in your hometown history but appreciate your soaps more.  About Us tab was fun and informative.  Tabs for soaps did a pretty fine job of selling me on why each product would fulfill my needs.  I'll be back to buy shampoo bars because of your tutelage!  Photos could be catchier and evoke more emotion.  Pretty much a pleasant and easy to navigate experience.  Good job man!

3 145
 03-28-2017, 08:19 AM
User Info
i concur with the guys, and would add that it would be great for your page if you had an ´about us´ section with a picture of both of you, or better yet, a video of you making soap or something like that!  best regards, pp.

0 479
 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM
User Info
I am color blind so I am probably only a small percentage of your user base. The font color is not very clear to me, why not a black font?

36 893
 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM
User Info
(03-28-2017, 05:04 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: So far it seems a concurrence to take the burning river out of the forefront. I would have expected to see a more soap oriented theme.  I appreciate your pride in your hometown history but appreciate your soaps more.  About Us tab was fun and informative.  Tabs for soaps did a pretty fine job of selling me on why each product would fulfill my needs.  I'll be back to buy shampoo bars because of your tutelage!  Photos could be catchier and evoke more emotion.  Pretty much a pleasant and easy to navigate experience.  Good job man!

Thanks! I use a shampoo bar every day.  Love 'em!  Yeah... We've got to work on the photos for sure.

(03-28-2017, 08:19 AM)carlospppena Wrote: ...it would be great for your page if you had an ´about us´ section with a picture of both of you, or better yet, a video of you making soap or something like that!  best regards, pp.

I'm of two minds about this one.  I think some people want to get to know their artisan, but others may want a more professional, less personal vibe.  Not sure which most prefer. Opinions, anyone?

(03-28-2017, 08:34 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I am color blind so I am probably only a small percentage of your user base. The font color is not very clear to me, why not a black font?

For the body copy? I think it's a dark gray. I'll see if I can mess with it if it is causing you problems.

0 1,072
 03-28-2017, 06:54 PM
  • Nonick
  • Straight razor
  • Australia
User Info
Worked fine on my phone.

Agree the river fire thing is strange (being international I've never heard of it and expect to be looking at soaps pretty quick if I've come to a soap selling website)

Also agree the pictures could be better - visuals mean a lot on a web page.

Otherwise looks good.

0 51
 03-28-2017, 07:07 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-28-2017, 08:34 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I am color blind so I am probably only a small percentage of your user base. The font color is not very clear to me, why not a black font?

Depending on whose stats you use, up to 30% of the male population is color blind to some degree.

60 1,601
 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
User Info
I have a smaller screen on my phone and that makes the cart button wrap down, and thus the mobile banner is too deep.

6 751
 03-29-2017, 10:11 AM
User Info
(03-28-2017, 09:11 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I have a smaller screen on my phone and that makes the cart button wrap down, and thus the mobile banner is too deep.

Yep. I've got a small screen, too, and I see what you mean. I have been playing with it and will continue working on it. It would help a ton if I actually knew HTML  and CSS. Smile

This is all great feedback, guys. I really appreciate it.

0 1,072
 03-29-2017, 10:17 AM
User Info
Please consider using HTTPS.

3 29
 03-29-2017, 02:36 PM
User Info
(03-29-2017, 10:17 AM)iamsms Wrote: Please consider using HTTPS.

We can't do an SSL cert for our whole site with the package we have at the moment, but we do use PayPal for our cart, checkout, and credit card processing, so these pages are secure.

0 1,072