03-28-2017, 12:33 PM
User Info
Has anyone had any experience with this brand (Jay's Clay) of lathering bowls?  

The unglazed exterior seems great for providing a slip-free grip, but I'm worried that the unglazed interior of the bowl might damage my brushes.  

Has anyone used any brand of unglazed bowl for lathering before?

[Image: 91NZYyRF6nL._SY500_.jpg]

0 13
 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
User Info
The inside should be glazed like the upper half in your picture so no worries on brush damage.  Jay makes nice pottery at reasonable prices.  This is a beautiful piece of pottery.  I have a entirely glazed one and it is very nice.  Also, I have a shave mug with part of it unglazed and have had no problems with it.

22 764
 03-28-2017, 03:17 PM
User Info
Hmm, it looks from the photos like it is unglazed on the inside.

If you haven't had any problems with unglazed on your bowl, I might have to give this a shot.

[Image: 81qqNVAj9xL._SY500_.jpg]

0 13
 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM
User Info
Beautiful looking bowl!

24 662
 06-04-2017, 06:25 AM
User Info
I'm copying this from a similiar question on Amazon, "I have not found any change in my brushes using this bowl. I use a horse hair brush and alternate a mid-priced badger hair brush. I like the somewhat stiffer horse hair brush a bit better for use with a soap puck and the horse hair brush has certainly gotten more use. It was more than a year ago when I first made and experimented with the partially-glazed bowl design. First, I found that the lather came up very fast, to the point that I actually like to take a few seconds to work the lather a bit more to make the texture thicker. Then I discovered it was easier to hold the unglazed portion of the bowl, especially in wet conditions. With more than a year gone by, I was using the partial-glaze design for every shave. It was the only bowl in my bathroom. After all that time I could not notice any change in either of my brushes. While there are no actual sharp edges, one should be aware that any unglazed pottery surface will have a rough texture straight out of the kiln But after the first use, the surface will smooth out a bit. I believe some of the soap just remains on the inside surface of the bowl creating a happy medium. There are many variables in shaving routines. I have never tried it with a synthetic brush, nor a cream or other shaving product, only soap pucks. That's the hard info I have and I hope that it is helpful."  

The bowl IS unglazed on the inside. I still have had no problems with my brushes. Thanks for checking out my work! Jay

Hmm, it looks from the photos like it is unglazed on the inside.

If you haven't had any problems with unglazed on your bowl, I might have to give this a shot.

[Image: 81qqNVAj9xL._SY500_.jpg]

0 81
 09-24-2017, 08:28 AM
User Info
I have one of his shaving bowls I bought through Badger Balm.  It is small, but great.  I highly recommend it.

0 173
 09-24-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
Not too small, not too big.  just right

0 173