03-28-2017, 04:17 PM
User Info
New to the forum here. Anyways I searched for 'burts bees' and there were no results found. I must be doing something wrong because I can't imagine that no one here has never used the Burts Bees shaving set that they used to carry. I mean that is what got me hooked into the whole shaving with a mug and brush. I loved their bay rum balm as well. Then when they discontinued the line, I found some artificial aftershaves that I didn't like, so I made my own. Any help to a thread would be appreciated!

0 12
 03-28-2017, 08:11 PM
User Info
I can't help with the Burt's Bees search, but welcome to the forum!

0 280
 03-29-2017, 02:59 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-28-2017, 04:17 PM)Thors Hammer Wrote: New to the forum here. Anyways I searched for 'burts bees' and there were no results found. I must be doing something wrong because I can't imagine that no one here has never used the Burts Bees shaving set that they used to carry. I mean that is what got me hooked into the whole shaving with a mug and brush. I loved their bay rum balm as well. Then when they discontinued the line, I found some artificial aftershaves that I didn't like, so I made my own. Any help to a thread would be appreciated!

Yr obdnt srvnt has not encountered the shaving set, but the Burt’s Bees More Moisture Conditioner with Baobab, applied to a wet beard at the beginning of the shower before shaving (and rinsed off before exiting the shower) is an excellent pre-shave wetting and beard softening routine.

1 1,089
 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM
User Info
Thanks for the help. I was just hoping to start a conversation with those who have used the now discontinued line of Burts Bees aftershave balm, shave mug and soap.

0 12
 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
(03-28-2017, 08:11 PM)Mystic Water Wrote: I can't help with the Burt's Bees search, but welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. You have a beautiful website. My story can be found on my website spiraldragons.com.

0 12
 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM
User Info
Back in the 90's when I was finally getting a fuller face of whiskers, well almost 50 now and I still don't have a full beard, my choice of shaving gear was gillette razors and gel shave. I could never use an electric razor such as a norelco like my dad because it just made my face break out. Then one day I was shopping at this little food co-op and saw this shaving mug with shave soap and aftershave balm made by Burt's Bees. i just had to have it. The aftershave was bay rum except more creamy. My dad had used bay rum. I like bay rum too but could never find it back then. Man I loved that shave set. Had a hard time relating to picture of the hippy old guy on the can but why should that bother me. more later

0 12
 03-29-2017, 04:57 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I bought some of their aftershave, but the fragrance didn't agree with my skin. They have good ingredients in their products, but I haven't seen any unscented products from them.

3 561
 03-29-2017, 06:56 PM
User Info
(03-29-2017, 04:57 PM)DayMan Wrote: I bought some of their aftershave, but the fragrance didn't agree with my skin. They have good ingredients in their products, but I haven't seen any unscented products from them.

I remember washing my face after putting the aftershave on to water the smell down and sticky feeling.

0 12
 03-29-2017, 09:10 PM
User Info
I believe it was around 2011/12 that I tried their aftershave balm in a tube. The scent was actually a pretty nice clean, soapy scent. But the consistency was more of a runny milk than a balm, and i didn't end up using it much.

40 1,166
 03-30-2017, 04:28 PM
User Info
In 2004, Burts Bees was bought for almost 200 million. That's when they discontinued the bay rum aftershave kit-to my knowledge. After that, my mom would find an occasional bottle- the aftershave balm came in aluminum bottles with a pump top on them- on the discount rack or even at second hand store for me. I was reading on wikipedia, back in '90's the co-founder, Roxanne Quimby kicked Burt out of the company. How funny!!! It's interesting to find that they have a documentary film on Burt, an old hippy beekeeper. I never knew anything about the company or the guy until I wrote this thread. check out the trailer 

0 12
 03-30-2017, 04:29 PM
User Info
(03-29-2017, 09:10 PM)shevek Wrote: I believe it was around 2011/12 that I tried their aftershave balm in a tube. The scent was actually a pretty nice clean, soapy scent. But the consistency was more of a runny milk than a balm, and i didn't end up using it much.

Nice 'soapy' scent- perhaps because Burts is owned by Clorox now

0 12
 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Remembered reading his obituary. Interesting human he was!

http://www.economist.com/news/obituary/2...-buzz-buzz

"Golly Dang!"

59 4,501
 03-30-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
Yeah if you are a true hippy, going commercial isn't hip

0 12
 03-31-2017, 03:00 AM
User Info
(03-30-2017, 04:28 PM)Thors Hammer Wrote: In 2004, Burts Bees was bought for almost 200 million. That's when they discontinued the bay rum aftershave kit-to my knowledge. After that, my mom would find an occasional bottle- the aftershave balm came in aluminum bottles with a pump top on them- on the discount rack or even at second hand store for me. I was reading on wikipedia, back in '90's the co-founder, Roxanne Quimby kicked Burt out of the company. How funny!!! It's interesting to find that they have a documentary film on Burt, an old hippy beekeeper. I never knew anything about the company or the guy until I wrote this thread. check out the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdGZoABFYYA

As a beekeeper I came across this show and really liked it.  He was a very interesting guy that had no sense for big business because he didn't really care about the trappings of power and wealth.

4 465
 04-01-2017, 09:32 AM
User Info
I would sure like to post a picture of the Burts Bees shave mug and brush, aftershave, and shaving soap but I dont know how.  Its classic! You can do a search for 'burt's bees bay rum shaving set' to see the images for yourself. (edit.. I figured it out)
[Image: 21SYHBBRR9L.jpg]

0 12