03-29-2017, 06:42 PM
User Info
I have a Vie-Long Epsilon in brown horsehair in faux horn (advertised as 27mm, but I think actually a little bigger) that I have really enjoyed, but it started shedding a couple months after buying and has progressively gotten worse.  Trying to figure out what to do with it.  

I have used it 70-80 times over the 18 months or so that I have owned it, and find the tips, density, and backbone to be outstanding, and outstanding value really. 

Sadly, I though it was something I could live with, and waited probably too long to return to Gifts & Care.  Now it's driving me bat-s**t crazy and it needs to be taken care of.  I have two other Vie-Long brushes, and they have both been excellent without this problem.  

So, hoping on two potential plans:

1) find some way I can get it back to the maker and may have them put in a two-band knot of the same shape.

2) figure out how to remove the knot and put in another, either two band or synthetic.

I could use some help with option 2 in order to remove the knot without causing any problem with the handle.  And also to find a two band knot (thinking Golden Nib or eBay), or a good synthetic.  I have an Omega synthetic with a loft of about 60mm and its very soft but just too floppy.  Thinking something that could leave me in the 50mm range for loft.  

Thanks in advance,

26 246
 03-29-2017, 08:41 PM
User Info
A shame to hear your horse is shedding.. I really like my Vie Long horses and would be quite upset if they fell apart on me.

There are several threads on the forum - mostly from a little way ago - that outlines how to remove knots. Broadly they fall into two categories; using heat (very hot water) to loosen the adhesive that keeps the knot in place, or using scissors and a dremmel to dismantle and sand away the knot.

I do not know what adhesive Vie Long uses, or how it reacts to heat... but if the handle can take it, using heat is usually the faster way to get the knot out.

3 4,512
 03-31-2017, 08:15 PM
User Info
Hans, thanks for the reply.  

Having not heard from anyone else about reaching out to the manufacturer, I went with the steam method to remove the knot.

I noted a distinct odor of epoxy resin.  And once I saw how the the knot was tied and glued, it looked like the glue may have been the problem, as it was really glued on one side, and not well glued together.  

I could use some recommendations for knot sources.  Thinking either two band badger or synthetic.  I would like to know if there are any other good sources.  Here is what I am seeing:

- The Golden Nib (of course)  

- Romero

- WSP

- Elite razor

- Etsy sources: AP ShaveCo, Envy Shave, Dogwood Handcrafts, Frugal Shave

For the synthetics, I would appreciate a recommendation.  Also, of course there are the hoards of Chinese vendors on eBay, but I have no idea how to separate the wheat from the chaff there.  

Any other suggestions are welcome.  Thanks,

Matt

26 246
 04-01-2017, 01:05 AM
User Info
I have yet to use my Tuxedo synthetic (AP Shave Co), so perhaps a bit premature to recommend it, but it looks like a good choice. For one I have tried, Whipped Dog's synthetic knots are excellent. They are the Plisson like variety. What I liked best about his is that it is a huge 30mm knot without being able to feel the glue bump. Might be way down in the handle, but the brush works for me. I like the handle shape too. A taller slimmer Chubby is how I think of it. Maybe call it a 'Husky'? Wink  Others would have a better handle on all the available synthetic knots you can buy.

For the two-band, I'm not sure how expensive you want to go, but Shavemac always makes an excellent knot. I would recommend Romera for the knot, but he only orders them once in awhile and you need to get in on that order frame to secure a knot I believe. Perhaps he'd make an exception. There can be the possibility of scoring one through BST too, or taking the knot out of an old Romera. Envy shave sells excellent knots both in 2-band and the ubersoft II synthetic, too. I had almost forgotten about that synthetic option. Larry has a high mountain white that might be worth considering if you can find some reviews. As far as my personal knowledge, you covered the usual suspects for me quite well, plus you added some I didn't know about.

23 635
 04-01-2017, 06:31 AM
User Info
(04-01-2017, 01:05 AM)kooshman7 Wrote: I have yet to use my Tuxedo synthetic (AP Shave Co), so perhaps a bit premature to recommend it, but it looks like a good choice. For one I have tried, Whipped Dog's synthetic knots are excellent. They are the Plisson like variety. What I liked best about his is that it is a huge 30mm knot without being able to feel the glue bump. Might be way down in the handle, but the brush works for me. I like the handle shape too. A taller slimmer Chubby is how I think of it. Maybe call it a 'Husky'? Wink  Others would have a better handle on all the available synthetic knots you can buy.

For the two-band, I'm not sure how expensive you want to go, but Shavemac always makes an excellent knot. I would recommend Romera for the knot, but he only orders them once in awhile and you need to get in on that order frame to secure a knot I believe. Perhaps he'd make an exception. There can be the possibility of scoring one through BST too, or taking the knot out of an old Romera. Envy shave sells excellent knots both in 2-band and the ubersoft II synthetic, too. I had almost forgotten about that synthetic option. Larry has a high mountain white that might be worth considering if you can find some reviews. As far as my personal knowledge, you covered the usual suspects for me quite well, plus you added some I didn't know about.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I am leaning toward trying a synthetic knot first, as the cost of messing it up is lower.  I had totally forgotten about Shavemac.  The one I have is exceptional, though I don't really know the difference between the two top grades of knots.  I also have two of Romera's knots, and they are both superb as well, and fantastic value. 

Some pictures might show more of the brush process:

[Image: yxFPvgz.jpg]
[Image: jdwU3kc.jpg]
[Image: jTrQwmJ.jpg]
[Image: EPQEWP5.jpg]

26 246
 04-01-2017, 01:49 PM
User Info
It's interesting how the knot doesn't have the typical glue plug that's seen on every knot I've seen.

23 635
 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM
User Info
Most hand tied knots do not use a "Glue Plug" If you watch Videos on Simpsons on Youtube you can see how this is done.

3 84
 04-09-2017, 10:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I had a Vie Long horse, which I never liked.  Nevertheless,  I really liked the handle so I sent the brush to Vlad Ferdman and had him re-knot it with a TGN 2-band finest.  Vlad did a great job at a fair price and it's now one of my favourite brushes.

7 911