03-31-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
Hey guys, here's my problem.  

My wife and I are in some tight financial straits right now due to medical bills, etc., so I've been really trying to "tighten the belt," so to speak.  I've been bringing a bag lunch every day to work, etc.  At one point I went almost 6 weeks without purchasing anything!  

Around the house I'm trying to use up existing stuff before buying anything new, including soaps/sunscreens/moisturizers/toothpaste/etc, etc.   So I'm looking through my soap stash and I see that I have samples of shaving soaps made by a novice artisan who wanted feedback on the soap's performance.  One of these soaps makes a beautiful lather and shaves wonderfully, but I don't like the scent at all.  It's supposed to be a leather scent, but it's really harsh, and I'm not big on leather-ish scents to begin with.  

I shaved with it this morning and it lathered and shaved great.  There are probably at least 20 and maybe 30 shaves worth of this soap remaining.  But the scent was just so unpleasant, and a lot of the enjoyment I get from shaving is the aromatherapy.  At the conclusion of the shave I strongly considered tossing it out, but then I remembered my commitment to "tightening the belt," so to speak.  

So, what should I do?  What would you do?  Should I just suck it up and shave with a soap whose scent I despise?  Is there a way to make it smell better?  Or is life too short for that?  

Thanks in advance.

2 1,461
 03-31-2017, 09:56 AM
User Info
Light a scented candle while you shave, and use it up.

0 1,072
 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
Firstly, I’d have it (if not already) kept exposed to fresh air.

Assuming the other (mentioned) samples are similar to the leather-y soap, in terms of performance, but better in scent, I’d exhaust those first, in the meantime. Alternatively, perhaps some inexpensive and locally available utilitarian lathering agent, to tide you over. 

Of course, a thorough post-shave rinse with water (+/-  neutralization with toner or astringent) is a must, especially in this case; a scented a/s might further mitigate the matter.

(A drop or two of EO in the soap is a consideration, although not without risk of making the starting product worse.)

0 490
 04-01-2017, 07:06 AM
User Info
(03-31-2017, 08:49 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Hey guys, here's my problem.  

My wife and I are in some tight financial straits right now due to medical bills, etc., so I've been really trying to "tighten the belt," so to speak.  I've been bringing a bag lunch every day to work, etc.  At one point I went almost 6 weeks without purchasing anything!  

Around the house I'm trying to use up existing stuff before buying anything new, including soaps/sunscreens/moisturizers/toothpaste/etc, etc.   So I'm looking through my soap stash and I see that I have samples of shaving soaps made by a novice artisan who wanted feedback on the soap's performance.  One of these soaps makes a beautiful lather and shaves wonderfully, but I don't like the scent at all.  It's supposed to be a leather scent, but it's really harsh, and I'm not big on leather-ish scents to begin with.  

I shaved with it this morning and it lathered and shaved great.  There are probably at least 20 and maybe 30 shaves worth of this soap remaining.  But the scent was just so unpleasant, and a lot of the enjoyment I get from shaving is the aromatherapy.  At the conclusion of the shave I strongly considered tossing it out, but then I remembered my commitment to "tightening the belt," so to speak.  

So, what should I do?  What would you do?  Should I just suck it up and shave with a soap whose scent I despise?  Is there a way to make it smell better?  Or is life too short for that?  

Thanks in advance.

If you are getting that low on soap, pm me and I will hook you up

0 38
 04-01-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the suggestions and the very kind back-channel offers.  

I am airing out the soap for now.  I had one other sample from the same artisan, and it had a much more pleasant smell.  I used that one this morning and it worked great.  By the time I finish this one, maybe the other one will have defunkified somewhat.  If not, I'll try grating and adding a bit of aftershave.  

I really appreciate the kindness of the members of this community.  I really don't need any more soap offers, thoughtful as they are.  Thanks to all.

2 1,461
 04-01-2017, 08:15 AM
User Info
You are aware of the rule that the less you like the scent of a soap you're trying to use up, the longer the soap will last?  It will refuse to die.

50 6,106
 04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
User Info
I grate soap, press into a larger dish that like better than any of the tins available (large loading surface, nice heft and ceramic feel on the hand, plus great looks). In some cases I like to put the dish in bain marie to make it fit the dish and fill air gaps. No heating element, just boiling water and cover, then air dry. In the process some of the scent is lost. Makes Tabac even better Smile

8 1,129
 04-01-2017, 08:55 AM
User Info
(04-01-2017, 08:15 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You are aware of the rule that the less you like the scent of a soap you're trying to use up, the longer the soap will last?  It will refuse to die.

LOL.  This is probably true.

2 1,461
 04-01-2017, 04:13 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Set it out in the open with the lid off for a week or two and see if that makes it mellow a bit. Use other stuff in the meantime.  That is all I can think of. I know of no way to kill the scent of a soap.

2 1,683
 04-01-2017, 10:09 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Use it in the shower?

17 439
 04-02-2017, 09:43 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Here is the best way to lose the scent, that I have found anyways.

Grate the soap and place in a plastic container.

Add some water to the soap, (bloom it)

Let it sit outside with the cover off.

A few days later the soap will start to lose the water you added. Most of the scent, if not all, will be gone.

75 1,322
 04-02-2017, 10:36 AM
User Info
PM me too.  I have soap I will send.  Several different scents.  Also, I hope and pray your financial and medical situation starts to improve soon.

22 752
 04-02-2017, 02:53 PM
User Info
I understand you have grated it. Before you mash it back together, I suggest letting it air out in grated form. I am no scientist, but would think that it will air out more fully in grated form than when mashed together. Also I suggest putting it out in the open (back yard, garage etc) rather than leaving it in a confined space such as the bathroom or worse yet in a cabinet or drawer. Since is lathers great, and I think you like the performance, airing is worth the effort. Best of luck to you.

16 350
 04-03-2017, 03:51 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-01-2017, 07:06 AM)grayhane Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 08:49 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Hey guys, here's my problem.  

Thanks in advance.

If you are getting that low on soap, pm me and I will hook you up
Grayhane,
unrelated to the subject at hand but when I read your signature I laughed so hard I teared up. Thanks for that.

7 2,328
 04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
In answer to your question:

1. Life's too short; and
  2. Life's too short.

0 35
 04-06-2017, 07:49 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I would second the "grate and air" plan. Maybe outside on a nice day. I really hope things work out for the best. You are in my thoughts. 

Maybe grate it and mix it with something else?...or that may just make some kind if horrible, never-ending puck from hades  Firedevil

0 360
 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM
User Info
I would say that life is too short to shave with a soap which scent you despise...

You could grate it and then air it out before pressing the soap back in to shape...

But I would properbly just get rid of it.. if you want to save money, why not trade it to someone who enjoys the scent..?

1 112
 04-13-2017, 04:12 AM
User Info
I'd be happy to send you some soap(s) . Been in the WS routine/hobby for 4-6 weeks and have bought more than I will ever use. Hope all works out well. PM me if interested. Thx

1 57