03-31-2017, 03:20 PM
User Info
Hi guys I'm waiting for brush from Brad Sears. I wanted to ask those who have had a chance to use both of these brushes. What is the general consensus regarding these two brushes? Do they perform the same. Is the quality the same. IS M&F as desirable as it used to be or has been undercut by the newcomers?

5 286
 03-31-2017, 07:42 PM
User Info
A machined brush compared to a hand tooled brush will have unique characteristics in terms of what is capable of each method. Hand tooled brushes have a unique look at least in my opinion for what I have seen amongst artisans within the community. The knots are always going to vary from each batch of hair. Bottom line is Morris brushes have always maintained a very high level of quality.

59 1,408
 04-01-2017, 03:16 AM
User Info
(03-31-2017, 07:42 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: A machined brush compared to a hand tooled brush will have unique characteristics in terms of what is capable of each method. Hand tooled brushes have a unique look at least in my opinion for what I have seen amongst artisans within the community. The knots are always going to vary from each batch of hair. Bottom line is Morris brushes have always maintained a very high level of quality.

Thanks - I did not know that m&f brushes were hand tooled

5 286
 04-01-2017, 04:03 AM
User Info
Brad Sears to the best of my knowledge is turning these brushes with hand tools , I may be wrong. He has a beautiful website that goes into detail about his process. In the past it was never discussed by Lee but it was widely considered the Morris brushes were machined. Nothing is for certain of course since Lee has not shared this information with the community im simply giving my opinion for what it's worth to help with your OP.

59 1,408
 04-01-2017, 04:11 AM
User Info
Also that's not to say there may have been a few Morris brushes that were turned with hand tools before Brad etc. I'm not sure anyone can answer that with 100% accuracy.

59 1,408
 04-04-2017, 12:27 AM
User Info
I used to own a 2013 Morris & Forndran 2XL with the Blonde/Heritage badger hair--a wonderful 3-band bulb/fan hybrid built to be a face-latherer's dream and I also owned a 30MM Brad Sears turned Morris & Forndran Polo 30MM Finest Bulb badger brush.  The main differences I noticed in the handles are as follows:

Lee Sabini's handles were machined, and my 2XL in Disco Haze resin has sanding marks, which were fine by me personally because it gives the brush a "brand-new" look over time. 

Also:  The edges in the handles' grooves were more squared from Lee's machining as opposed to being the more-rounded off of Brad Sears' lathe.  The more square versus the more round, I really didn't feel much of a difference pertaining to ergonimics.

2 106