03-31-2017, 04:51 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
For me anyway, I don't believe I will ever have a better shaving tool than the Mühle R89 razor.  
I shave every day.  I have sensitive skin.  I don't want to have to pay attention, even ATG.  I do a lot of buffing and always go for fully BBS.
I've recently been experimenting with other razors, and while a few of them are really good for a shave or two, none of them (except probably the 34c that I already owned for years prior to this recent exploration) work for me as nicely as the Mühle R89 as a literal everyday razor.  Argue...

62 3,008
 03-31-2017, 04:58 PM
User Info
No argument here.  Both the Muhle 89 and Merkur 34C are classics for a reason - they work well.  If I had to, I could live with either one as my only razor.

50 6,426
 03-31-2017, 05:43 PM
User Info
Weber DLC  /  Merkur Progress on setting 1 or 2.  Shy

83 21,113
 03-31-2017, 05:59 PM
User Info
I am glad you posted this Matt. As I understand it, every beginner wetshaver starts with either the R89 or 34C... well, I started with the Cobra Classic. Go figure!
Anyway, I've been using the Progress as my travel razor for some time. Very efficient but it's giving me a hard time lately. I am trying to replace it and contemplating between the R89, 34C along with Parker 24, 26 and ikon shavecraft 101! Your post came at the right time, i think the R89 is a very safe bet

18 787
 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM
User Info
No argument from me.  It's the razor I started with, and still an old stand by.  The four razors I use regularly are: Wolfman DC, Razorock Babysmooth, Ikon #102, and the R89.  I used the Muhle this morning.

11 972
 03-31-2017, 07:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
There hasn't been much discussion of these pot metal razors lately. They're ok, but I definitely like my old Techs and Red Tips more. I'm probably in the minority, but the R89 is not my preference. I tried a R89 a few years ago but never got a good shave with it. Being that my technique is vastly superior compared to a few years ago, perhaps I should try one again. Like many here, my beard is tough yet my skin is sensitive. When I use a mild, inexpensive, modern razor I'm a Merkur guy all the way. It's what I started with, and still have a definite preference for that design. I keep a Merkur 42C in my dopp bag.

7 2,359
 03-31-2017, 10:34 PM
User Info
It's funny as most of my Gillette razors I have not gotten a good shave from, whereas the Muhle 89 works wonders for me. I've sort of moved on to a Feather AS-D2, and use my Muhle R89 as a travel razor. I rarely travel so it's been seeing less use stuck in my Dopp bag for when I do travel. My only complaint is the handle doesn't have the grip I want, and I find I like the weight of a stainless steel razor. Finally hit me yesterday I should try putting the SS handle on the Muhle and giving it another go, so I'll be doing that with my next shave I believe. It could be that my technique has improved considerably too, so I need to do the same for my Gillette razors and giving them another chance to shine.

25 692
 04-01-2017, 05:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(03-31-2017, 04:51 PM)Nero Wrote: For me anyway, I don't believe I will ever have a better shaving tool than the Mühle R89 razor.  
I shave every day.  I have sensitive skin.  I don't want to have to pay attention, even ATG.  I do a lot of buffing and always go for fully BBS.
I've recently been experimenting with other razors, and while a few of them are really good for a shave or two, none of them (except probably the 34c that I already owned for years prior to this recent exploration) work for me as nicely as the Mühle R89 as a literal everyday razor.  Argue...

Consider this. Looking at your post through a different lens, can you get away with a two pass DFS shave? Once I got comfortable with the concept of not always seeking a BBS shave, the effect on my neck skin has been profound. Whereas I'd previously lived with a lifetime of razor burn on much of my neck (caused by carts/bad technique, etc.), with the switch to two DE passes only, the skin there is now completely healthy looking. Occasionally I still do seek a BBS shave and can get away with it Maybe once a week, but not much more often than that. I have to be careful though. Just yesterday I tried for a BBS, and today the spot just above my lip is a bit irritated. For my best results I should really stick to two pass max around the lips/nose. The lure of the all over BBS is strong...

For a mild, everyday razor, my hands down favorite is the fat handle Tech with triangular baseplate. It's perfect for me. Balance, efficiency, just right.

7 2,359
 04-01-2017, 07:47 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-01-2017, 05:47 AM)chazt Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 04:51 PM)Nero Wrote: For me anyway, I don't believe I will ever have a better shaving tool than the Mühle R89 razor.  

Consider this. Looking at your post through a different lens, can you get away with a two pass DFS shave?

Hi Charlie, I appreciate the response(s) and question.

From my perspective: why go from a BBS toward a BSS? If you know what I mean, haha Wink
...if I'm starting at near-perfection, why would I want to lower my acceptance standards to DFS just to be more inclusive (and spend more)? Granted, all else equal, I prefer variety, just as 99% of the folks do here. But all else is not equal (for me). That's kinda my point.
I don't get razorburn or really any irritations while getting a BBS while using one particular razor. Why should I continue searching?

62 3,008
 04-01-2017, 08:37 AM
  • thw
User Info
Hello, Nero. No "argument" from me, just my two-cents worth. In my experience, a mild razor like an Edwin Jagger DE89, when paired with a sharp blade (my preference is the Gillette Silver Blue), will provide a bbs shave. This concerns technique. The blade of even the mildest razor may nick, and that reality means the razor is, with proper technique, capable of providing a close shave. 

There is a good reason, I believe, why many of the vintage Gillette razors are considered mild. So...no argument here.

0 18
 04-01-2017, 08:58 AM
User Info
I had a Muhle R89 at one point, but I ended up selling it.  It wasn't that I disliked it, it's that I had other razors that I greatly preferred.  So, not my favorite by any stretch, but a serviceable razor (from my perspective).

2 1,552
 04-01-2017, 10:14 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I guess I don't see the R89 or the 34c as mild razors. They are perfectly down the middle.

The slew of new 100+ gram weight razors coming out are a fad IMO, and are obscenely and needlessly aggressive.

Vintage Gillettes like SS...now THOSE ARE MILD. Half as efficient as R89.

The more products I try, the more picky I become.

62 3,008
 04-01-2017, 11:22 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Muhle is underrated. Sometimes maligned because they are made with "lowly" pot metal and not stainless steel.

They make great razors. Despite owning/selling most of the newer stainless razors, I still get my best shave with an R41

Their Fusion razors are the best I've used, as well.

169 1,424
 04-01-2017, 11:30 AM
  • thw
User Info
Nero - Gillette of course designed their "mild" vintage Tech and Super Speed razors to work with their blades. These were the original Blue, the Super blue and, beginning in 1946, the original Thin blade in the black and white wrapper with red print. These blades were made from carbon steel, and carbon steel can be ground to an extremely sharp edge. Gillette would not introduce a stainless-steel blade until 1963, the same year it introduced the Slim. 

I began shaving in 1961, learning proper technique (had to) with a $1.00 Super Speed with a blue tip. Trust me, with one of the blue blades that mild razor could bite.

0 18
 04-01-2017, 12:16 PM
User Info
Matt, I don't want to deter your thread. I am just looking for a short answer, are the Muhle R89 and EJDE89, the exact same thing?

18 787
 04-01-2017, 12:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-01-2017, 07:47 AM)Nero Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 05:47 AM)chazt Wrote:

Consider this. Looking at your post through a different lens, can you get away with a two pass DFS shave?

Hi Charlie, I appreciate the response(s) and question.

From my perspective: why go from a BBS toward a BSS? If you know what I mean, haha Wink
...if I'm starting at near-perfection, why would I want to lower my acceptance standards to DFS just to be more inclusive (and spend more)? Granted, all else equal, I prefer variety, just as 99% of the folks do here. But all else is not equal (for me). That's kinda my point.
I don't get razorburn or really any irritations while getting a BBS while using one particular razor. Why should I continue searching?

Hi Matt. Yep, I agree completely. Lately I've been zoning in on 2 favorite razors, and am 100% satisfied with the results. The reason I turned to trad safety razors in the first place was mostly to seek relief from a lifetime of razor rash. While loads of good clean fun, Variety and Acquisitions are secondary to shave quality. The satisfaction of knowing you can repeat shave after shave consistently with the same razor (or two) is my primary goal as a shaver. I'm not advocating divestment of my lovely little collection, but yeah, I could get by with just the same two razors.

7 2,359
 04-01-2017, 12:26 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-01-2017, 12:16 PM)snowman Wrote: Matt, I don't want to deter your thread. I am just looking for a short answer, are the Muhle R89 and EJDE89, the exact same thing?

No.

Mühle and Edwin Jagger both used to buy Zamak heads from Dovo (maker of Merkur), and then separately plated the heads and mated them with their own handles.  In a joint venture, Mühle and Edwin Jagger together tweaked and refined the Dovo design, and established a manufacturing source for their version of the unplated head.  The two firms both continue to do their own plating, and the handles that each puts onto the heads are their own design and manufacture.

1 1,110
 04-01-2017, 01:25 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-01-2017, 12:16 PM)snowman Wrote: Matt, I don't want to deter your thread. I am just looking for a short answer, are the Muhle R89 and EJDE89, the exact same thing?

Edit: Answered just above

62 3,008
 04-01-2017, 01:26 PM
User Info
(04-01-2017, 01:25 PM)Nero Wrote:

Same razor head but different handles. I have the Muhle rose gold handle.

Gotcha thank you. That's all I needed to know

18 787
 04-01-2017, 04:07 PM
User Info
I've tried many many razors. Vintage, new, stainless, Zamak, Bakelite , aluminum slant etc. high end low end single double You name. I'm fairly exclusive to the r89 with an astra sp. in fact I've sold most other razors.
Though since last Friday (just over a week) I've been growing a beard. Interestingly at 39 years old, able to grow facial hair like a rabbit humps, this is the first one over 3 days without shaving. I'm liking it so far and getting some good feedback. It is itchy though.

90 904