08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
User Info
Is there any easy way to tell if a cream will lather? I ask this because I've recently purchased some shave creams, thinking they would lather with a brush, but only to find out they are brushless. Is there a specific ingredient I should be looking for in future cream purchases to determine if it will lather?

My most recent burn - Shave! - by Phillip Pelusi/Phyto Life

1 168
 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
I've noticed most of these kinds will actually have terms like "non-lathering" or "brushless" or "low lather" somewhere on the package, but I'm not sure about ingredients pertaining to one way or the other.

2 362
 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I'm not sure of any specific ingredients to look for but certain brushless creams will lather very well with a brush. Kiss My Face is the first one that comes to mind and I have a friend that uses a Kiehls brushless cream with his boar brush and gets great results.

Nancy Boy was designed as a brushless cream but many on all of the forums including myself absolutely adore it and it makes spectacular lather with any brush.

I guess trial and error for some creams may prove worthy otherwise, I think the best bet is to check the forums and Google it up if you are unsure.

There are definitely certain things that I would stay away from such as gels and anything with a propellant or canned and most of mainstream offerings geared towards the Mach 3 crowd like Clinique and other designer brands. I wouldn't let those near a brush.
Edit to add; no offense intended toward the Mach 3 crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

6 905
 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
The best way I know of to find out if a cream will lather is to ask here first.

There is a huge user knowledge base, not all of which is previously written. So just ask here before buying.

32 6,302
 08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
User Info
i have lathered Kiss My Face cream before with good results and i can only imagine that most creams will lather decently if worked well. Also, as Brian stated, you could ask here firstly.
Good luck.

74 20,804
 08-18-2012, 05:05 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
One other clue is if it contains oils which sometimes hard to know because of the INCI names the FDA gives ingredients.

For example (sometimes the common name is given)
Jojoba : Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil
Shea Butter : Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit
Palm Oil : Elaeis Guineensis Oil
Coconut Oil : Cocos Nucifera Oil
Stearic Acid : Stearic Acid

But when you see an oil that is saponified, or the ingredient list also includes sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide along with stearic acid that is a clue that it will lather.

Otherwise look for detergents that will create the lather.

Many times they will contain both saponified oils as well as detergents. One common one is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate but there are many detergents used and if they several start with something similar to sodium lauryl.... But there are several others used.

Another thing you can do if you have internet on your phone is google up something of the things on the ingredient list that your not familiar with. But getting familiar with the ingredients that are used and their purpose for being there will be a big help!

But if it contains stearic acid without other saponified oils OR sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide without any detergents to lather you can bet that it won't lather and it is indeed a brushless.

LOL I know because I bought a tube of a so called brushless cream that really was just that. Brushless..... Least to say it's somewhere down my basement right now. Guess I should toss it out!
Least to say DO NOT BUY Tree Hut Brazillian Nut Shaving Cream even thought it smells soooooooo good. It just not made to lather!

7 405
 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
Some guy on B&B posted a roundup of various brushless & lathering creams a couple of years ago.

2 129