08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
I am having a hard time Lathering this soap, I can stand there for 5 or 6 minutes and its still on the watery and light side, I have no water in the bowl when I start the lathering, I shake my brush out really well. I get a lot of suds but that is about it? I am new to this i have only have a total of like 5 or 6 Wet Shaves. I got a DE razor, the 1954 Gillette Z3 Super speed at a local Antique store for like $18 bucks and it looks brand new! I thank you in advance God Bless!

0 14
 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM
User Info
When you say you are lathering in the bowl, is the soap puck still present?

Edit:I saw that you purchased the premium shave set. Here is the first video in a three part series that will help you in getting a good performance from your set. The other parts of the videos in this series are linked at the end of this video. Part 2 will show you how to face lather, and part 3 will show you how to bowl lather. Welcome to the forums!

1 168
 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Hi Charlie, and welcome to the Nook and the wonderful world of wet shaving! We're glad to have you!

Since your VDH is glycerine based, you may find you get much better results by letting an approximate teaspoon of tap water sit on your puck before going at it with your brush.
What type of brush are you using? If it's a badger, I find they hold so much water that your loading will (may) actually benefit from giving your brush a firm squeeze to get even more water out.
When you're ready to load, you can dump the water off your puck (and into your lather bowl if that's your style...) then spin your brush on the puck until you get a thick paste on the tips of your bristles. If you are using a badger brush, you'll actually see the hairs start to clump together because of that pasty "proto"lather.

As with most problems that arise in wet shaving, "more product" always seems to be the answer!

Best of luck and please keep us updated via this thread so we can continue to help or pat you on the back. Cool

11 366
 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
In this case,more product and less water (for facelathering),but less water would be enough.

86 7,124
 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 03:40 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: When you say you are lathering in the bowl, is the soap puck still present?

Edit:I saw that you purchased the premium shave set. Here is the first video in a three part series that will help you in getting a good performance from your set. The other parts of the videos in this series are linked at the end of this video. Part 2 will show you how to face lather, and part 3 will show you how to bowl lather. Welcome to the forums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5BWZBmp...ure=fvwrel

No, i load up the brush, which is the one that came with the set, which i think its a Boar Brush, and then i put it in the bowl to lather it. I may be doing this all wrong, i am new at this. Thanks for the reply!

(08-17-2012, 03:42 PM)brian Wrote: Hi Charlie, and welcome to the Nook and the wonderful world of wet shaving! We're glad to have you!

Since your VDH is glycerine based, you may find you get much better results by letting an approximate teaspoon of tap water sit on your puck before going at it with your brush.
What type of brush are you using? If it's a badger, I find they hold so much water that your loading will (may) actually benefit from giving your brush a firm squeeze to get even more water out.
When you're ready to load, you can dump the water off your puck (and into your lather bowl if that's your style...) then spin your brush on the puck until you get a thick paste on the tips of your bristles. If you are using a badger brush, you'll actually see the hairs start to clump together because of that pasty "proto"lather.

As with most problems that arise in wet shaving, "more product" always seems to be the answer!

Best of luck and please keep us updated via this thread so we can continue to help or pat you on the back. Cool

Thanks for the Reply! I will give this a try! thanks!

0 14
 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Hang in there. VDH is probably the best cheap soap there is once you get the hang of it. Not much better than melting down a puck and adding scents to it. I have some in Old Spice Scent as well as Kramperts Finest Bay Rum Scent. Good stuff

116 3,804
 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 05:04 PM)Dave Wrote: Hang in there. VDH is probably the best cheap soap there is once you get the hang of it. Not much better than melting down a puck and adding scents to it. I have some in Old Spice Scent as well as Kramperts Finest Bay Rum Scent. Good stuff

You can melt this Soap?? If so how do I Do this, as i would like to ad the Old Spice scent to mine!

0 14
 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 03:00 PM)Moorecharlie1 Wrote: I am having a hard time Lathering this soap, I can stand there for 5 or 6 minutes and its still on the watery and light side, I have no water in the bowl when I start the lathering, I shake my brush out really well. I get a lot of suds but that is about it? I am new to this i have only have a total of like 5 or 6 Wet Shaves. I got a DE razor, the 1954 Gillette Z3 Super speed at a local Antique store for like $18 bucks and it looks brand new! I thank you in advance God Bless!

Do you soak the brush before using? I always soak mine while in the shower then give the brush a good shake before swirling.

Personally, I'm not a fan of leaving water on the soap as it leads to leaching.

0 241
 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 05:16 PM)Moorecharlie1 Wrote:
(08-17-2012, 05:04 PM)Dave Wrote: Hang in there. VDH is probably the best cheap soap there is once you get the hang of it. Not much better than melting down a puck and adding scents to it. I have some in Old Spice Scent as well as Kramperts Finest Bay Rum Scent. Good stuff

You can melt this Soap?? If so how do I Do this, as i would like to ad the Old Spice scent to mine!

Not all shaving soaps can be melted,Vanderhagen is glycerin based and melts quite easily..

Take the puck out of it's plastic container if you haven't already and put it in a ceramic coffee cup or something similar then microwave it for a short time and check to see how well it's melting.For your first attempt I would check it often after short intervals in the microwave to make sure you're not overdoing it.

After it's melted just pour it into a shaving mug or really anything that works for you as a shaving soap container.Vanderhagen lathered really well for me,sometimes it can be about your water quality.What I did was drop about a teaspoon of warm water on it and let my brush soak in a seperate cup of hot water and leave them sit while taking a shower.Later on I shook the excess water from my brush and swirled it fast on top of the Vanderhagen for about 30 seconds and got tons of lather.

This is actually some Vanderhagen I melted down and put in one of my coffee cups:
[Image: securedownload-7-2.jpg]

These days I'm using this shaving mug from Dirty Bird Pottery (Inside Diameter 3 1/2 inches)
http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html
[Image: Mug.png]

7 414
 08-17-2012, 08:11 PM
User Info
Great advice above on melting down the VDH. I would also recommend cutting the puck into about 1" chunks before sticking it the microwave and then proceeding with 10 second bursts in the microwave. I have found that this method provides a more even melt and avoids overheating parts of the soap.

5 938
 08-17-2012, 08:29 PM
User Info
Be sure to keep an eye on it while it's in the microwave. It'll boil over easily.

Yeah, it sounds like you need a squeeze of the brush before lathering or more mildly forceful shakes. You can always add more water if needed, but it's hard to remove water. It's always wise to start with less water IMO.

32 6,311
 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 08:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Be sure to keep an eye on it while it's in the microwave. It'll boil over easily.

Yeah, it sounds like you need a squeeze of the brush before lathering or more mildly forceful shakes. You can always add more water if needed, but it's hard to remove water. It's always wise to start with less water IMO.

+1 Good luck.

75 20,884
 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(08-17-2012, 05:16 PM)Moorecharlie1 Wrote:

Send me your address and I'll send you out a little cut that has some old spice in it. You'll need to melt it down (30 seconds total in 10 second bursts). Put it in a container you want it in, melt it, then let it solidify.

116 3,804