04-10-2017, 12:30 PM
User Info
Looking forward to reading the reviews.  I've been using the Feather AS-D1 exclusively for I don't know how many years, so I'm guessing I'd find this razor on the aggressive side.  Still, I like the design and the fact that it is much lighter than your typical artisan stainless steel razor.

32 297
 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM
User Info
Two shaves in.   Cool

First, to repeat myself and others:  this is a beautiful razor and a pleasure to hold.  

The razor is lightweight and of course nowhere near as heavy as many popular SS razors but its overall size (especially the handle), still provides plenty of heft.  I'd consider its weight to "feel" roughly between that of most aluminum and SS offerings.  The arrow machined details on the handle, as mentioned, are not too pronounced or as grippy as the knurling or deep features of many other handles but, the tapered profile and the subtle grip of the arrows makes it very easy to keep under control when wet.  Almost a light "tacky" feel.  The reveals at each end of the handle add to the nice design and also provide extra grip when needed.  The head of this razor is beautiful and even by eye, it's easy to notice how precisely it's been milled.  The finish of the head pieces and the overall razor are just beautiful.

All that beauty and quality doesn't mean much if it doesn't shave well, right?  Not to worry.  After two passes, and a little bit of touch up (where NO razor gets me smooth the first time), I had a solid BBS which stayed that way for at least 12 hours.  As for a new razor's blade angle, pressure, etc., I never think about it too much and generally let it evolve naturally.   The Paradigm didn't surprise me at all in this category and it quickly felt like my everyday shaver - medium aggressive and no bite, super smooth and very effective.  It could be more aggressive than I think (I didn't measure) but its ease of use just lulls me into a laid back, enjoyable experience.  Cool.

More impressions to come and I may play with different blades.  So far, so GREAT!

73 4,338
 04-10-2017, 01:57 PM
User Info
(04-10-2017, 01:52 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Two shaves in.   Cool

First, to repeat myself and others:  this is a beautiful razor and a pleasure to hold.  

The razor is lightweight and of course nowhere near as heavy as many popular SS razors but its overall size (especially the handle), still provides plenty of heft.  I'd consider its weight to "feel" roughly between that of most aluminum and SS offerings.  The arrow machined details on the handle, as mentioned, are not too pronounced or as grippy as the knurling or deep features of many other handles but, the tapered profile and the subtle grip of the arrows makes it very easy to keep under control when wet.  Almost a light "tacky" feel.  The reveals at each end of the handle add to the nice design and also provide extra grip when needed.  The head of this razor is beautiful and even by eye, it's easy to notice how precisely it's been milled.  The finish of the head pieces and the overall razor are just beautiful.

All that beauty and quality don't mean much if it doesn't shave well, right?  Not to worry.  After two passes, and a little bit of touch up (where NO razor gets me smooth the first time), I had a solid BBS which stayed that way for at least 12 hours.  As for a new razor's blade angle, pressure, etc., I never think about it too much and generally let it evolve naturally.   The Paradigm didn't surprise me at all in this category and it quickly felt like my everyday shaver - medium aggressive and no bite, super smooth and very effective.  It could be more aggressive than I think (I didn't measure) but its ease of use just lulls me into a laid back, enjoyable experience.  Cool.

More impressions to come and I may play with different blades.  So far, so GREAT!
What blade do you have loaded in there Billy?

22 131
 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM
User Info
Ah, forgot to include that...

[Image: GDukzGO.jpg]

73 4,338
 04-11-2017, 05:50 AM
User Info
For my 3rd shave, I decided to finally unwrap a blade I hadn't yet tried - Gillette Platinum.  Smooth sailing!  I'd say it was even more comfortable than the two shaves with Astra SP, which have been my go-to for years.   Shy

73 4,338
 04-11-2017, 01:30 PM
User Info
(04-10-2017, 02:00 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Ah, forgot to include that...

Billy, it might be useful if everyone on the tour does at least one shave with an Astra.  It's a solid blade which works for a lot of guys, and it could be a constant throughout the tour.

51 6,447
 04-11-2017, 01:34 PM
User Info
Great idea, Ricardo - introduce a control.  Thumbsup

73 4,338
 04-11-2017, 01:49 PM
User Info
(04-11-2017, 01:30 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(04-10-2017, 02:00 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Ah, forgot to include that...

Billy, it might be useful if everyone on the tour does at least one shave with an Astra.  It's a solid blade which works for a lot of guys, and it could be a constant throughout the tour.

great idea!

21 1,824
 04-11-2017, 02:03 PM
User Info
Updated the OP, RE: Astras

73 4,338
 04-11-2017, 02:04 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review Sir! Looking forward to trying it. How would you compare it to other razors you've used?! I should say what would you compare it to?

18 788
 04-11-2017, 02:06 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have been shaving with this razor for 4 days now , and I will write my final impressions soon.

88 7,215
 04-11-2017, 02:10 PM
User Info
(04-11-2017, 02:06 PM)Teiste Wrote: I have been shaving with this razor for 4 days now , and I will write my final impressions soon.

Looking forward to that and comparing notes, Teiste!  For member reference, Teiste's review thread is here

73 4,338
 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Ok , so I finally wrote my impressions after 4 shaves. Im afraid they're not going to change substantially , due to the fact I mainly use the Astra Blue , and with that blade the razor performs splendid.

I have been shaving with this razor for 4 days in a row.

I can re write again what I did on the first post.Shaves smoothly , very efficient and its a pleasure to my sight.I particularly like the color.But it doesn't shaves better or worst that some of my other razors.I would compare this one to the Seygus closed comb head (brass 2016) in terms of how smooth shaves but how efficient is.Close to the Rocnel DE-P , which is another excellent choice and close to what this Paradigm shaves.The Timor closed comb head is smoother but I wouldn't say that as efficient as the Paradigm.

You can use this razor to shave with it everyday.Load an Astra Blue and enjoy it.Its not mild , is not very aggressive. Is just right for what Im looking for.Two passes : one with the grain , one across the grain , and perfect shave.And so far , irritation free shaves the four of them.But , again , my beard is medium hard , so YMMV.

Is it worth the price ? My friends , this is the eternal debate.It shaves very efficiently (at least , for my medium beard) and its exclusive.People would buy it because of that I dont think they would be disappoint.If its out of your budget , you still have plenty of great choices out there in stainless steel , aluminum , brass etc.

Im just grateful that we have so many options these days : double edge , single edge , brass , aluminum , stainless steel and now another Titanium one.We didnt have all these options back in 2009 , when I started following the shaving forums and the options were Merkur , Edwin Jagger/Muhle , vintage and few obscure others.The Pils was the most expensive at that time.Now , we are in a golden era of artisan made shaving soaps and razors.Let the party continue.

88 7,215
 04-11-2017, 02:50 PM
User Info
(04-11-2017, 02:40 PM)Teiste Wrote: You can use this razor to shave with it everyday....Its not mild , is not very aggressive. Is just right for what Im looking for.
This is one strong point I can echo.

73 4,338
 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
User Info
Hi Bill -- I've enjoyed a number of poonjaji's tours and would like to participate in this one too, if I may, please.
The reserve list would also be just fine if I cannot be in the original round.

8 951
 04-13-2017, 09:06 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm quite interested to read the thoughts of the fortunate TSN participating members. It's great to live vicariously through others.

7 2,379
 04-13-2017, 09:17 AM
User Info
Gents - appreciate everyone's interest in getting added to the list, which I'll compile soon.  As I mentioned, we aren't committing to adding or to what level if we do but thanks for reaching out.  Biggrin

Meanwhile, I've completed another shave and will post more impressions this evening.  

I plan on wrapping up my kickoff and sending it on the road very soon - either Friday or Saturday.

73 4,338
 04-13-2017, 11:25 AM
User Info
Billy, I noticed that your OP suggests cleaning the razor with Simple Green, Barbicide or Scrubbing Bubbles.  Are we sure these cleaners are safe for titanium?  There were some posts earlier this year that Simple Green ruins the surface of the aluminum General razor.

51 6,447
 04-13-2017, 11:41 AM
User Info
(04-13-2017, 11:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Billy, I noticed that your OP suggests cleaning the razor with Simple Green, Barbicide or Scrubbing Bubbles.  Are we sure these cleaners are safe for titanium?  There were some posts earlier this year that Simple Green ruins the surface of the aluminum General razor.

I'll check into that more thoroughly, Ricardo but, titanium is highly corrosion resistant.  When  I received the razor, I briefly soaked it in a diluted solution of SG and thoroughly rinsed it with warm water.  My picture in the OP was taken after washing.  If I can't find a definitive answer (or enough contrary evidence), I'll play it safe and edit the OP with updated instructions, likely warm soapy water.

73 4,338
 04-13-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
(04-13-2017, 11:41 AM)TexBilly Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 11:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Billy, I noticed that your OP suggests cleaning the razor with Simple Green, Barbicide or Scrubbing Bubbles.  Are we sure these cleaners are safe for titanium?  There were some posts earlier this year that Simple Green ruins the surface of the aluminum General razor.

I'll check into that more thoroughly, Ricardo but, titanium is highly corrosion resistant.  When  I received the razor, I briefly soaked it in a diluted solution of SG and thoroughly rinsed it with warm water.  My picture in the OP was taken after washing.  If I can't find a definitive answer (or enough contrary evidence), I'll play it safe and edit the OP with updated instructions, likely warm soapy water.

I did a bit of googling, and found that there apparently are different types of simple green; some are corrosive and some are not. At least one version is even approved for use on military aircraft, which surprised me some considering how restricted our choices was back when I was working heavy maintenance.

3 4,682