05-22-2017, 02:44 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, the tour has moved on to Sully (Shawn).  He should be receiving the box on Wednesday, but one can never be sure with the USPS.  I'll be posting my remarks on the Paradigm in a separate post.

I added these items to the box:

[Image: zxnskzg.jpg]

Letting go of the Royal Fougere was not easy, but I can get a replacement on my next Bullgoose order.  This scent is so nice that others on the tour should get a chance to try it.  If you like the English "fern/fougere" EdT's and EdC's, this soap is a must try.  Also remember that the extra items are to be used.  Don't hesitate to use anything as much as you'd like, or even finish it.

41 4,647
 05-22-2017, 03:01 PM
User Info
Very nice additions!

13 857
 05-22-2017, 03:11 PM
User Info
(05-22-2017, 03:01 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Very nice additions!
Indeed, Ricardo and in particular a very cool gesture to put the Royal Fougre on the road! Looking forward to your overall impressions.

Shawn - enjoy the razor and goodies!  P.S. we need to put together another Austin meetup.  Cool

67 3,539
 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
I feel like a kid in a candy store!
I'm very new to the "luxury" end of wet shaving. Prior to going DE at the first of the year, all my products could be bought at WalMart and several came in cans. I signed up for the experience of test driving a razor that isn't in the current budget, and now have all these new things to sample as well. I think I speak for anyone who see's something listed that they've wanted to try......Thank you gentlemen for your generous additions!!

RON

0 99
 05-24-2017, 02:58 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(05-22-2017, 03:11 PM)TexBilly Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 03:01 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Very nice additions!
Indeed, Ricardo and in particular a very cool gesture to put the Royal Fougre on the road! Looking forward to your overall impressions.

Shawn - enjoy the razor and goodies!  P.S. we need to put together another Austin meetupCool
I couldn't agree more.  Let's start planning.

7 1,050
 05-24-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
(05-22-2017, 02:44 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Gentlemen, the tour has moved on to Sully (Shawn).  He should be receiving the box on Wednesday, but one can never be sure with the USPS.  I'll be posting my remarks on the Paradigm in a separate post.
Ricardo, we're waiting.  Eusa_whistle Icon_popcorn Wink

67 3,539
 05-24-2017, 02:30 PM
User Info
(05-24-2017, 01:56 PM)TexBilly Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 02:44 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Gentlemen, the tour has moved on to Sully (Shawn).  He should be receiving the box on Wednesday, but one can never be sure with the USPS.  I'll be posting my remarks on the Paradigm in a separate post.

Pancarta  It's a work in progress Billy!   Sometimes work, family and other aspects of life have to take priority.  I appreciate the reminder.  You're running a tight tour, which is good.   Biggrin

41 4,647
 05-24-2017, 02:33 PM
User Info
(05-24-2017, 02:30 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(05-24-2017, 01:56 PM)TexBilly Wrote:

Pancarta  It's a work in progress Billy!   Sometimes work, family and other aspects of life have to take priority.  I appreciate the reminder.  You're running a tight tour, which is good.   Biggrin
HaHa, just having fun and indeed, we all get busy.  You just created some fun buildup drama!  Again, looking forward to it.  Cool

67 3,539
 05-24-2017, 04:29 PM
User Info
Good looking razor

Troy

2 77
 05-24-2017, 05:00 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
The razor and everything else arrived today!  

I already test drove the Guerlain Hertiage and Acqua Di Parma Colonia.  The ADP Colonia is a great citrusy scent, it will be interesting to see how long the citrus lasts.  Heritage, wow.  It's right in my wheelhouse!  I'm getting a little funk from Heritage, and I like it.  It's not an overpowering funk.

The razor was a surprise.  I expected it to be heavier, I know it's titanium and it's lighter than stainless steel but this razor is pretty light. I'll post thoughts after I've shaved with it.

7 1,050
 05-24-2017, 06:50 PM
User Info
Nice, Shawn. Looking forward to your impressions.

When we meet up , I'll give you some more Heritage, perhaps some vintage Heritage as well. One of my favorites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67 3,539
 05-24-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
(05-24-2017, 05:00 PM)Sully Wrote: The razor and everything else arrived today!  

I already test drove the Guerlain Hertiage and Acqua Di Parma Colonia.  The ADP Colonia is a great citrusy scent, it will be interesting to see how long the citrus lasts.  Heritage, wow.  It's right in my wheelhouse!  I'm getting a little funk from Heritage, and I like it.  It's not an overpowering funk.

The razor was a surprise.  I expected it to be heavier, I know it's titanium and it's lighter than stainless steel but this razor is pretty light. I'll post thoughts after I've shaved with it.

Shawn, I had never tried Guerlain Heritage and was pleased with the scent.  I'm glad that Billy put the bottle in the box.

41 4,647
 05-24-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
I want to give my thoughts on the Paradigm.  A number of you gentlemen have posted excellent photos, and I can't improve on those.  All of you have posted excellent reviews, and I don't want to be repetitive.

I shave with straights or modern stainless DE's.  The only exception is two Gillette 1940's style Super Speeds, because I find vintage TTO's mechanically cool.  I have a coarse, fast growing beard.  I generally prefer milder DE's.  My Timeless, for example, is the .68 version.  I do not well with open comb DE's.  Years ago I owned the Muhle R89 and the R41.  I got excellent shaves form the R89, but not the R41. 

The Paradigm is one handsome razor.  All of my stainless DE's are polished, but the Paradigm looks best with its matte finish.  From all of the pictures I had seen, my initial feeling was that I did not like the handle tapering towards the top.  However, the tapering looks more pronounced in the pictures than in person, and I now like the look of the tapered handle. 

I'm picky about unsightly machine marks on razors.  These usually appear on the bottom side of the top cap, and sometimes on one or both sides of the base plate.  There are no machine marks on this razor, which is indicative of a quality finish.

In thinking about the Paradigm before receiving it, I knew it would be heavier than aluminum and lighter than stainless.  After the razor arrived, I decided to put it, a Timeless, and a Super Speed on the scale to see the actual weight differences.

[Image: xO4jIpr.jpg]

[Image: 9UwyVhb.jpg]

[Image: XgEvpm1.jpg]

I found the weight to be quite comfortable and balanced, and it did not require any adjusting on my part.  If you're used to heavy stainless DE's, the Paradigm could feel too light at first.  However, this is something you would adapt to quickly.  If you like the light weight of aluminum DE's, the Paradigm is not such much heavier that you would have an issue with it.  Essentially, the weight of this razor should not be a concern with most users, whether you prefer the weight of stainless or lightness of aluminum.

While I was thinking about the issue of weight, it occurred to me to compare the relative weights of the metals commonly used for DE's today - aluminum, titanium, stainless, brass, bronze and copper.  Doing some research, I found a chart listing the weights of various metals in pounds per cubic foot.  From this chart I pulled the following weights, in pounds per cubic foot, for the metals commonly used in DE's.  As the figures indicate, titanium is the second lightest of the metals, and is significantly lighter than stainless, brass, bronze and copper.

Aluminum     168.48
Titanium       283.39
Stainless       494.21
Brass             535.68
Bronze          541.00
Copper         559.87

Before shaving, I looked to see how much blade was exposed and took a picture.  This head has an interesting design that leaves a lot of exposure under the blade.

[Image: mTHQe03.jpg]

I've read all the comments about how this razor shaves, and I agree that it's an efficient and smooth shaver.  However, I would rate the Paradigm as more aggressive that others have characterized it.  After using it for six days in a row I noticed some mild irritation on my skin.  What is interesting is that Obie, who reports having sensitive skin, had no issues with this razor being too aggressive.  Thus, my observation about the aggressiveness of the Paradigm is a reflection of my skin and not a criticism of the razor.  Moreover, it's likely that with some fine tuning as to what blade to use, I could bring down the aggressivenss of this razor. 

There is definitely a place in the market for this well crafted razor, and I rate it highly in all categories.

Thanks to BullGoose for contributing this fine shaving instrument to the tour, and to Billy for running this tour so efficiently.

41 4,647
 05-24-2017, 07:30 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ricardo. I really liked the comparison info on weights. I had no idea copper was so heavy.

13 857
 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM
User Info
Very nice and thorough review, Ricardo!  Yes, I'm very convinced that a razor like the Paradigm needs to be matched with the right blade for one's skin and shaving style.  When this is done, it's wonderful.

67 3,539
 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM
User Info
I added one member to the lineup.  

For those of you who expressed interest during the original "mini tour" phase but have yet to confirm (four members by my count)...gentle reminder to provide me a thumbs up or down.  This will allow me to clean up the lineup and possibly allow others to join.  See the OP, with ** by your names.  

Thanks, Gents!

67 3,539
 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM
User Info
(05-26-2017, 11:32 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I added one member to the lineup.  

For those of you who expressed interest during the original "mini tour" phase but have yet to confirm (four members by my count)...gentle reminder to provide me a thumbs up or down.  This will allow me to clean up the lineup and possibly allow others to join.  See the OP, with ** by your names.  

Thanks, Gents!

Billy, if you add anyone to the list please consider me. I would like to try the Paradigm.

7 93
 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM
User Info
(05-26-2017, 11:45 AM)mniemann Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 11:32 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I added one member to the lineup.  

Thanks, Gents!

Billy, if you add anyone to the list please consider me. I would like to try the Paradigm.
Absolutely...

67 3,539