04-04-2017, 02:47 PM
User Info
[Image: 57db229627c466b8ee617bbda370c516.jpg]
A nice little surprise!

Some of you guys know that i like wet shaving so much that i shave two times a day. No, i dont have werewolf dna. I am a single parent with two teenage daughters to take care of, and work as a district attorney, so i have very little time. Therefore, i shave my face in the morning, mostly with one of my straights, and i shave my head at night, mostly with one of my safety razors. Some times i inverse the system just to have fun.

So, after my razor acquisition disorder was put on hold at #20, i started collecting brushes and soaps. We all know this will never stop, so i started justifying every new acquisition. Jeje.

After acquiring a few badgers in different trims, i began to collect synthetics. And since i like Phil so much -such a nice guy, bless his heart- i said: why not? Lets get one of the Asylum brushes. So i bought the green and black one. You know, the one on sale.

In the mean time i decided to use my badgers to face lather with soap. And to use the synths to bowl lather with creams, since head lathering without multiple mirrors is -well- a blind thing.

So, the brush comes in at 5:30pm, so, i get my tabac cream and my favorite bowl to get my beloved head shave. EEEEEEEeeeeee....!!!

It was a match made in hell. The handle is too fat, the knot is too short, your fingers get inside the bowl, get all lathered up, your grip slips, etc etc etc.

Quite frustrated i put the brush down after a decent shave turned sour. Ready to forget her forever, i remember Mr. Meles teachings: dont quit too soon. She stays in the shelf alongside all the others. A month go by.

And i pick it up again. This time the shaving gods intervened. It was 5:30 am. Face lathering time!!! Cold River excellent Artica was up in the soap rotation with my beloved Wade and Butcher, which the night before was treated with a CBN pasted strop progression up to .1 micron. So i say, two outs, three on, bottom of the ninth for the little Asylum.

You imagine the rest of the story... The little brush is a superb face latherer. It is soft and has the right amount of back bone. But most importantly, since it is so small, you can make bigger circles to cover your real estate, which facilitates the lather making process. Using it this way the handle has perfect size and great grip.

All in all, the badgers are organizing a strike, a demonstration or something, because i cant put the little Asylum down.

Thanks to Mr. Meles, for whom we all wish a quick recovery. And to Phil for offering such great products.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 04-04-2017, 02:52 PM
User Info
Nice review, Pepe...I'm not ready to go to the "dark side" just yet but the synths have certainly come a long way over the years!  Enjoy.

73 4,269
 04-04-2017, 02:52 PM
User Info
(04-04-2017, 02:52 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Nice review, Pepe...I'm not ready to go to the "dark side" just yet but the synths have certainly come a long way over the years!  Enjoy.

Thanx Tex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Congrats Pepe! Great brush..........

4 2,693
 04-04-2017, 03:54 PM
User Info
Pepe, I use a synthetic for at least two shaves a week.  Some weeks the synthetic get more use if I have mornings when I'm short on time.  I find that I can cut a few minutes from my total shave time using a synthetic.

48 5,718
 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM
User Info
(04-04-2017, 03:54 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Pepe, I use a synthetic for at least two shaves a week.  Some weeks the synthetic get more use if I have mornings when I'm short on time.  I find that I can cut a few minutes from my total shave time using a synthetic.

Dear Ricardo;

Let me suggest something, with respect!

Wake up a few minutes early, use the synth, the badger, or whatever tickles your fancy, without counting the minutes.  Its a win win situation.

Yes, i can imagine your reply.  So let me reply to that ahead of time... If I have to do this in a rush, i simply don't shave at all... and use that whole hour to get a head start on the rest of the day.  The truth is since i wet shave, i wake up early so i would not miss it, and i am never late for anything anymore!

The best for you my friend,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
Nice write up! Synthetic brushes are indeed making their mark on the industry. There was a time when I would have never considered selling a single one of my older Simpson brushes to help fund the synthetic movement. Fast forward to today, and I have sold almost all my Simpson brushes and use only 2-3 brushes, 2 of which are GC synthetics.

67 2,164
 04-05-2017, 10:07 AM
User Info
Great story.  I use a synthetic every day.  My 3 badger brushes just sit in the cabinet and weep.   Biggrin

0 168