04-05-2017, 07:38 AM
User Info
Hi folks,
I need your help and experience. I have as semogue boar. Not the owners club. i love it. I have a vie-long horse. I love it. I have a Plissoft synth. I love it! (get the picture). They are all solid feeling brushes. They have little splay and what I would call very good backbone. (I think.) I would even say they are dense. They are a little skritchy, in a good way. I also have 2 badger brushes. I think they are 'fine' or what the Chinese call silver tip. They are wishy-washy. They are OK lathering brushes but I would like something MUCH closer in substance and performance to the boar and horse brushes that I have, however with that softer badger feel .

Now here is the fun part. I do not want to pay more than $100. Any recommendations?
Thanks
DB

4 74
 04-05-2017, 07:41 AM
User Info
Given your preference I would check out the SOC 2 band badger

I personally really like the stirling finest 2 band badgers though at that price point

28 779
 04-05-2017, 07:45 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(04-05-2017, 07:38 AM)DBart. Wrote: AHi folks,
I need your help and experience.  I have as semogue boar. Not the owners club. i love it. I have a vie-long horse. I love it.  I have a Plissoft synth. I love it!  (get the picture). They are all solid feeling brushes.  They have little splay and what I would call very good backbone. (I think.)  I would even say they are dense.  They are a little skritchy, in a good way.  I also have 2 badger brushes. I think they are 'fine' or what the Chinese call silver tip.  They are wishy-washy.   They are OK lathering brushes but I would like something MUCH closer in substance and performance to the boar and horse brushes that I have, however with that softer badger feel .

Now here is the fun part. I do not want to pay more than $100.  Any recommendations?
Thanks
DB

What springs to mind immediately is a shavemac DO 1, 2-band knot, but it'll cost a lot more than$100.  Within your price point a Semogue 2-band finest (Owners Club) might fit the bill.

7 909
 04-05-2017, 07:51 AM
User Info
You could get a Whipped Dog brush, with a high mountain white knot. Can have the knot set extra low for more density / scrub too. Would probably come in around the $50 range before shipping.

2 38
 04-05-2017, 08:07 AM
User Info
(04-05-2017, 07:51 AM)NeekoC Wrote: You could get a Whipped Dog brush, with a high mountain white knot. Can have the knot set extra low for more density / scrub too. Would probably come in around the $50 range before shipping.

Cool. A new bit of advice I have not considered. Do I simply go on their site and ask for a preference?
Thankds DB

4 74
 04-05-2017, 09:58 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
(04-05-2017, 07:38 AM)DBart. Wrote: Hi folks,
I need your help and experience.  I have as semogue boar. Not the owners club. i love it. I have a vie-long horse. I love it.  I have a Plissoft synth. I love it!  (get the picture). They are all solid feeling brushes.  They have little splay and what I would call very good backbone. (I think.)  I would even say they are dense.  They are a little skritchy, in a good way.  I also have 2 badger brushes. I think they are 'fine' or what the Chinese call silver tip.  They are wishy-washy.   They are OK lathering brushes but I would like something MUCH closer in substance and performance to the boar and horse brushes that I have, however with that softer badger feel .

Now here is the fun part. I do not want to pay more than $100.  Any recommendations?
Thanks
DB

Semogue Owner's Club 2 band badger is a great brush for the money. Lovely soft face feel with enough backbone to lather even the hardest soaps. Looks good too, particularly in cherry.

0 20
 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM
User Info
(04-05-2017, 09:58 AM)Smudge Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 07:38 AM)DBart. Wrote: Hi folks,

Thanks
DB

Semogue Owner's Club 2 band badger is a great brush for the money. Lovely soft face feel with enough backbone to lather even the hardest soaps. Looks good too, particularly in cherry.
thanks!

4 74
 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
When I bought my whipped dog brush you could go to the site to shop, but you have to email the owner, Larry I think, to order. I see this as a positive because it gives you a chance to discuss what you want out of the brush with Larry. That way you can settle on the exact loft etc you want. Other brush makers offer a similar service but Whipped Dog has great prices making it a good entry brush imo.

2 38
 04-05-2017, 01:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
SOC cherry was my first choice. It's the stoutest knot In my den. After an extended break in period the tips eventually softened. As a boar lover you'll be familiar with that. Mine's a few years old. Newer ones may have different characteristics. Perhaps someone with a recent version will offer an opinion. It's arguably one of the most comfortable handles you'll ever use. Otoh, WD is committed to helping people on their wet shaving journey. Larry is a solid human being.

7 2,144
 04-05-2017, 06:58 PM
User Info
The SOC 2-band Badger came to mind first of all, but the mention of Shavemac's D01 2-band has merit, too. You couldn't purchase the D01 2-band new, but used could certainly find you a few options pop up here and there around that price.

23 632
 04-06-2017, 03:19 AM
User Info
(04-05-2017, 06:58 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: The SOC 2-band Badger came to mind first of all, but the mention of Shavemac's D01 2-band has merit, too. You couldn't purchase the D01 2-band new, but used could certainly find you a few options pop up here and there around that price.
Thx

4 74
 04-06-2017, 03:20 AM
User Info
(04-05-2017, 01:06 PM)chazt Wrote: SOC cherry was my first choice. It's the stoutest knot In my den. After an extended break in period the tips eventually softened. As a boar lover you'll be familiar with that. Mine's a few years old. Newer ones may have different characteristics. Perhaps someone with a recent version will offer an opinion. It's arguably one of the most comfortable handles you'll ever use. Otoh, WD is committed to helping people on their wet shaving journey. Larry is a solid human being.

Thanks

4 74
 04-06-2017, 04:40 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-06-2017, 03:20 AM)DBart. Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 01:06 PM)chazt Wrote: SOC cherry was my first choice. It's the stoutest knot In my den. After an extended break in period the tips eventually softened. As a boar lover you'll be familiar with that. Mine's a few years old. Newer ones may have different characteristics. Perhaps someone with a recent version will offer an opinion. It's arguably one of the most comfortable handles you'll ever use. Otoh, WD is committed to helping people on their wet shaving journey. Larry is a solid human being.

Thanks

When I purchased my first new brush in years this past month, my criteria were similar to yours, and I made the same choice that chazt recommends; my new Semogue SOC badger with cherry wood handle arrived by mail from Portugal yesterday.   I’ve not had an opportunity to use it yet, but it certainly is pretty.  

Although I intend to give a full report after I have broken in the new Semogue, I am very open to suggestions as to the best way to break in a new badger knot, because the last time I did so was in the early 1990s, and I forget what I did back then.  (Thinking about a soak in a Eucalan solution; has anybody tried that?)

1 1,089
 04-07-2017, 01:10 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Please don't take this the wrong way; it's not intended to sound smug. Honestly, after 2 or 3 test lathers which clean all the shmutz out of the new knot, I simply enjoy using the brush. Nothing other than that. I just use it.

7 2,144
 04-07-2017, 07:36 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-07-2017, 01:10 PM)chazt Wrote: Please don't take this the wrong way;

Bless your heart; I am not sure that there is a path to take your comment the wrong way.   Smile

(04-07-2017, 01:10 PM)chazt Wrote: it's not intended to sound smug. Honestly, after 2 or 3 test lathers which clean all the shmutz out of the new knot, I simply enjoy using the  brush. Nothing other than that. I just use it.

Indeed, that is probably the way that I broke in my Vulfix 2234S Super Badger way back when, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and it probably never had occurred to me that new brushes needed any breaking in.   (The Vulfix is still very much in service, BTW.) 

Thanks for the reinforcement.

1 1,089