04-07-2017, 06:46 AM
User Info
I have been reading about more aggressive razors lately and became interested in the Fatip Picolo.  I recently got a chance to buy one from @JJFAR for cheap.  First shave today.

Looks:  This is a cool retro razor.  It looks very much like an antique razor and looks very natural lined up with my vintage English New open combs.  Mine has blade edge exposure that differs slightly from side to side.  It is not something I can fix through manual adjustment. 

Handling:  Even though the handle is just lined, it provides plenty of grip.  I really like the handle weight.  It is about the size of my vintage Gillette New handles, but with more weight.  Balance is good.  Specifically, the weight and balance make it very easy and natural to perform a light-touch shave, which is supposed to be required of this razor.

Gear:  I went into this expecting an aggressive experience.  So, I loaded up a Personna Red, which is one of my favorite smooth and not too sharp favorites.  Looking for extra protection, I pulled out L&L Grooming’s After the Rain soap.

Shave: The shaving angle was very obvious to find.  As said above, it was very easy to shave with a light touch, whereas other razors of mine require specific concentration to go light.  I did my usual 2 passes, but didn’t have time to do touch-ups to my neck.  Close shave, no blood, not irritation.  Never did I feel like the blade was scraping too deep or was threatening to cut me.

So you’ll understand where I am coming from, my favorite razors are the Timeless .68 OC, Muhle Roca, and Gillette #44 English RFB.  The Picolo is a different shave than all of these, and they are different from each other.  Initial results tell me that the Picolo could easily fit in my rotation, because its results are as good as these and it provides another element of variety.  I like variety.

11 193
 04-07-2017, 07:04 AM
User Info
Thanks for an informative review.

48 5,729
 04-07-2017, 07:59 AM
User Info
Very nice review.  Ironically, I had just pulled out mine from the back of a drawer and am going to give it a long overdue spin.

73 4,269
 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM
User Info
Nice review.  The Fatip is a nice razor.  When I used it, I never felt like it was scary aggressive at all; always felt smooth to me.

2 1,397
 04-07-2017, 10:42 AM
User Info
I've enjoyed mine over the years.  Nice close shave.  I like the fact that the head is brass too.  Nice review!

15 1,195
 04-07-2017, 12:05 PM
User Info
Very informative. 
You got me curious: which are the "other razors of mine require specific concentration to go light"? 

8 1,065
 04-10-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
For light to medium beards a seriously beneficial upgrade is to use a Fatip Gentile top cap with the Fatip open comb base plate. The switch in top caps makes both razors better shaving tools in my opinion. Try it, you will like it.

51 315
 04-15-2017, 04:50 AM
User Info
I think the biggest misconception about the Piccolo being aggressive is most pair it up with either a Feather or Kai blade and that alone will make most any razor aggressive. I have mine paired up usually with a Shark Super Stainless which makes it a very efficient razor overall, but you still need to respect the razor as it will bite you, the same as almost any razor will, when your concentration strays from your shave!! Right now I'm using a Lord Super Chrome in mine and it is very much the same as a Shark Super Chrome that I use in my 37C. The blade seems to smoothen out after the 1st shave and is very comfortable to use. My Piccolo is in my weekly rotation and is used at least 2 days a week...

0 64