04-08-2017, 10:36 AM
User Info
I've been making my own lather for about two months now and consistently having the same issue; I can't get the lather that's in/on the brush to transfer to my face. Shaving videos that I've seen all wind up with a nice thick 1/8" coating of lather on the face; but for me it's about 1/16" with a touch of skin pink showing through. Even if I scoop a nice big dollop from the bowl with the brush; when I try and even it out......the lather disappears and what remains is that same 1/16" . The lather looks nice and is the same or thicker consistency than foam-in-a-can.
Bowl lathering: Plenty for a 3 pass shave with about a shot glass that can be squeezed out of the brush afterwards.
Face lathering: Easier with a somewhat thicker coating when I'm through. Can only get 2 passes though before having to squeeze the last from the brush.

Brush: Kent Blk4
Cream: T&H West Indian Lime or TOOBS St. James

I've tried more product - less product and more water - less water etc. nothing makes much difference.
Suggestions and advice very welcome!

Thanks.
RON

0 189
 04-08-2017, 12:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Perhaps a different soap is in order?

Use even more product.

Try bottled water? Distilled water?

Try face lathering for 5 minutes before putting a blade to your beard.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. Don't give up. You'll get there.

7 2,151
 04-08-2017, 03:39 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I'd agree, try face lathering for 4-5 minutes. If you don't already do it, try wetting your puck with a teaspoon of warm water while your brush soaks. Pour water into a bowl, load your brush with the softened soap and build lather starting with the soap water your poured out. This may help. Good luck.

11 659
 04-09-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
Can you build a lasting lather with another soap? If you can't get lather to transfer, your not loading enough. If your lather dissipates, you have too much air and not enough soap & water. To put that into perspective: today I load about 10 times as much as I did when I first started wetshaving, and can easily squeeze out an entire pass of lather when I'm finished with a 4-pass shave.

Load it like you hate it! (Seriously!)

Check this out as well, and give it a try:

28 1,094
 04-10-2017, 03:51 AM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 08:29 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Can you build a lasting lather with another soap? If you can't get lather to transfer, your not loading enough. If your lather dissipates, you have too much air and not enough soap & water. To put that into perspective: today I load about 10 times as much as I did when I first started wetshaving, and can easily squeeze out an entire pass of lather when I'm finished with a 4-pass shave.

Load it like you hate it! (Seriously!)

Check this out as well, and give it a try:

Yes, what Mike said.  Adding to that though, even if your technique is up to snuff it's a fact that some brushes are lather hogs.  Only solution is to load and lather more soap.

3 145
 04-10-2017, 04:03 PM
User Info
Thanx gentlemen!
I've been using all the input here and I'm making progress
I've been adding more cream every day and put LOTS of cream on the brush this morning. Big improvement in face coverage.
Only been face lathering for a week or so and haven't acquired the patience for 4-5 mins yet, longer each day I think and like I said BIG improvements so far.
One thing left to try is I'm going to switch from cream to soap when it arrives and definitely going to load it like I hate it.

i have a feeling that when its's all said and done I'll be a face latherer (I like it now that I tried it), and probably a soap guy as well (bigger selection I think).

RON

0 189
 04-10-2017, 04:21 PM
User Info
Good to hear Ron.  I mostly face lather.  I swirl my brush on my face to build the lather but it gives me spotty, sometimes thin coverage.  I now do a final coat painting with the brush and it gives me a great, consistent layer of lather.

17 1,423
 04-10-2017, 04:35 PM
User Info
I had a similar problem with cream/badger when I first used it.  I had used a hard puck the 20+ yrs prior with a boar.  Basically, got the same advice the good gentlemen above gave.  I mainly was  being stingy on the loading; probably due to my general tight/miser attitude.  Now I just load like the apocalypse is going down and I'm fine.

I also will start the initial build of lather in my scuttle (using the "soap soaking" water as mentioned by doc). Once the water has terminated the brush/soap real well I'll go to face lathering.  Don't know if that helps with the lather much, but it does get it nice and warmed up.

My rationalization is I just get to order more soap due to my increased loading (that's what I'm telling myself). Biggrin

Glad to hear things are improving.

0 57
 04-10-2017, 07:05 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(04-10-2017, 04:21 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Good to hear Ron.  I mostly face lather.  I swirl my brush on my face to build the lather but it gives me spotty, sometimes thin coverage.  I now do a final coat painting with the brush and it gives me a great, consistent layer of lather.

This also helped me when I started with the 'paint strokes' after getting the lather built. Also, don't be afraid to squeeze some of the good lather out in the bowl and then apply that to your face, it seems thicker that way with lather hogging brushes.

10 233
 04-11-2017, 08:02 PM
User Info
Put a rubber band around the knot just up from the base and see if the brush delivers more lather, if so that brush may be better suited to face lathering

0 38
 04-12-2017, 03:53 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Have you tried bowl lathering?  It's faster to create a lather in a bowl than it is to face lather.  You don't need a "shaving" bowl either.  Any bowl will work.

3 561
 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM
User Info
UPDATE:
Thanx for taking time time help me with my problem! I've tried all the suggestions and things are much better. I'm sure some more practice will yield more improvements. I did have a small incident...I bought my first soap and made the mistake of deciding to give it a try on a workday morning. I allow plenty of time for a relaxing shave, but not enough to learn a new skill it would seem. I left way too much water in my brush and the lather generated on my face was far more suitable for washing than shaving. It got a little better with more loading but...it was a pretty rough shave. My project for this weekend is some practice palm lathering with the soap.
Thanx again for your help.
RON

0 189