04-09-2017, 05:15 AM
User Info
Hey fellas!  I'm interested in hearing how you found this hobby.  Be specific.  LETS GO!

3 145
 04-09-2017, 05:28 AM
User Info
In 2009 I walked into an Art of Shaving store and the straights caught my attention.

50 6,057
 04-09-2017, 05:33 AM
User Info
Wrong section of the forum but I needed an alternative to the cartridges that were leaving my face raw and with bumps and ingrown hairs. Bought a cheap ebay Badger, Merkur 34C, and some MWF. Haven't looked back!

147 3,536
 04-09-2017, 05:37 AM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 05:33 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Wrong section of the forum but I needed an alternative to the cartridges that were leaving my face raw and with bumps and ingrown hairs. Bought a cheap ebay Bader, Merkur 34C, and some MWF. Haven't looked back!

Thanks for pointing this out.  I moved it.

50 6,057
 04-09-2017, 05:52 AM
User Info
I think it was summer 2013 and I was reading an article about Gillette on Yahoo. In the comments section somebody trashed on cartridge razors and recommended safety razors. I'd never heard of safety razors or wet shaving so I looked into it and things (clearly) progressed from there.

0 638
 04-09-2017, 06:57 AM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 05:37 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 05:33 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Wrong section of the forum but I needed an alternative to the cartridges that were leaving my face raw and with bumps and ingrown hairs. Bought a cheap ebay Bader, Merkur 34C, and some MWF. Haven't looked back!

Thanks for pointing this out.  I moved it.

Thanks.  Nobody ever accused me of being Jolene's smartest son.

3 145
 04-09-2017, 07:01 AM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 05:33 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Wrong section of the forum but I needed an alternative to the cartridges that were leaving my face raw and with bumps and ingrown hairs. Bought a cheap ebay Badger, Merkur 34C, and some MWF. Haven't looked back!

I have a son-in-law that solved the same issues.  That has to be an awesome feeling to find a solution to such a vexing problem.

3 145
 04-09-2017, 07:04 AM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 05:52 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I think it was summer 2013 and I was reading an article about Gillette on Yahoo. In the comments section somebody trashed on cartridge razors and recommended safety razors. I'd never heard of safety razors or wet shaving so I looked into it and things (clearly) progressed from there.

Clearly progressed.  Nice!

3 145
 04-09-2017, 07:48 AM
User Info
I dont remember how, but I got my hands on some Proraso Green in the tube.  Used it with a Mach for awhile, liked it so much I went on down the rabbit hole.

13 494
 04-09-2017, 10:14 AM
  • jjfar
  • Young priest in a big parish
  • North Carolina
User Info
In 1963 ,my very first shave. Using my fathers English tech(three piece with an ivory handle and brass head he bought in WWll .
 He was a spitfire pilot in the RAF  ,Battle of Britain and all that)  Also his brush ,Williams Mug Soap and a Gillette blue blade.
Old spice AS.
I got my first purple heart that day

49 518
 04-09-2017, 10:20 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-09-2017, 05:15 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Hey fellas!  I'm interested in hearing how you found this hobby.  Be specific.  LETS GO!

Having completed a two year assignment in Asia, I had planned to return to the United States by train through Siberia accompanied by my girlfriend, but she eloped with another man. My new return trip itinerary featured a 14-day crossing of the Pacific Ocean (Yokohama to San Francisco via Honolulu and Vancouver) aboard the P&O Orient Lines HMS Orsova. You can deduce the rest. Hmm

1 1,086
 04-09-2017, 10:23 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
When I started shaving +50 years ago I had little option as I didn't want to use an electric razor.  Over the years I've vacillated between DE's and cartridges, but over the past 4 years I've settled on cartridges, Mach3 and Sensor.  To be honest, I get a closer more irritation-free shave with my cartridges than I ever did with a DE.

7 909
 04-09-2017, 10:37 AM
User Info
It was coming time to buy more cartridges for a razor that was a bore to use. I hated shaving and wondered why I was going to spend money to do it in such a hated way. I was considering getting a hair clipper to just clip my face every few days and live with perpetual stubble.  So I got on the 'net looking for options and ran into the shaving sites. Then I rifled through my drawers knowing that I had a few safety razors already. I had a Gillette black handle (mine from decades previous), a Valet Autostrop, a NIB GEM Featherweight and a Gillette travel Tech as the nucleus of my collection and my entry into real shaving.

32 6,459
 04-09-2017, 10:46 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
In 1963 when I first started shaving I was given a old Gillette TTO by my father and a can of Barbasol. By 1966 I was using a Bic or something similar and for the next 50 years tried most everything; including straights. Two years ago I decided to give the straights a serious chance again and have been SR shaving since. I didn't pick up a DE again until just before Christmas 2016!

11 659
 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
User Info
in mother Russia wet shaving finds you

0 197
 04-09-2017, 02:03 PM
User Info
I was frustrated with cartridge razors (irritation, less than stellar shaves, etc), and had always wanted to get a straight razor shave from a barber... just to experience what a great shave was all about. Read up a bit, and many gents claimed that you can get just as good a shave @home with a good DE/SE/straight. I transitioned, and now I look forward to every shave.

27 1,080
 04-09-2017, 03:18 PM
User Info
I once realized that i liked anything vintage. Got into amazon and bought a straight that did not shave crap. Also a strop from pakistan. Took me a while to get my bearings, but i am in for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 04-09-2017, 04:04 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Back in 2011 or so my wife and I were at a quaint little town about 20 minutes away or so where we sometimes stay at a B&B to get away close to home. It's quite an unique place rather like a small New England town from the turn of the 19th century. It has a rather large ,old hotel, about a 150 years old or so, that's very popular with upper class tourists from Europe. A quick drive to the attractions but out in the country on a scenic lake. Anyways we were in one of our favorite shops and I noticed they had some shaving soaps for sale and some forgettable boar brushes. The soap was Lightfoot's Pine soap and although now I wouldn't use it if it was free it was leaps and bounds better than the canned goo I had been using. When that puck ran out I bought the more expensive brand they had, PdP, which to this day I consider one of my better, not best, soaps. I used that combination for about two years before I decided to spring for a double edge razor. Shortly after that I found two of my Dad's and one of my grandfather's old razors, sent them to Razor Emporium to be refinished and I haven't looked back.

7 2,322
 04-09-2017, 04:25 PM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 04:04 PM)Mouser Wrote: Back in 2011 or so my wife and I were at a quaint little town about 20 minutes away or so where we sometimes stay at a B&B to get away close to home. It's quite an unique place rather like a small New England town from the turn of the 19th century. It has a rather large ,old hotel, about a 150 years old or so, that's very popular with upper class tourists from Europe. A quick drive to the attractions but out in the country on a scenic lake. Anyways we were in one of our favorite shops and I noticed they had some shaving soaps for sale and some forgettable boar brushes. The soap was Lightfoot's Pine soap and although now I wouldn't use it if it was free it was leaps and bounds better than the canned goo I had been using. When that puck ran out I bought the more expensive brand they had, PdP, which to this day I consider one of my better, not best, soaps. I used that combination for about two years before I decided to spring for a double edge razor. Shortly after that I found two of my Dad's and one of my grandfather's old razors, sent them to Razor Emporium to be refinished and I haven't looked back.

Nice story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 04-09-2017, 05:34 PM
User Info
I'm tight.  When I was about 22 or 23 did the math and started wet shaving; started using straights last June.
It started due to my being a miser, and has developed into a love affair...which now cost me quite a bit due to "acquisition disorder".
Kind of funny how that worked out.  I did spend years with one DE, a cheap Boar brush, and using Williams soap.

Be safe and cheers,
Jer

0 57