04-09-2017, 07:03 PM
User Info
Like a lot of people didn't like the electric razors I'd been using,switched to carts and caned goo hated over paying for blades , so started looking for alternatives. Found DE never looked back ditched the can and picked up a brush and soap my face has never felt smoother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 740
 04-09-2017, 08:09 PM
User Info
In '68 I joined the Army. The Red Cross was handing out doop kits to all the guys going in.
I really didn't need to shave then due to my youth but going through the motions was part of the basic training experience.
Two of my uncles used a mug and brush and one of them used a straight razor.
As soon as shaving became a real necessity, I picked up a brush to go with my DE and a mug with Williams and been shaving that way ever since. 
Have recently been looking into straight razors but so far the only one I have had was past it's freshness date and until I replace it will be using the old DE standby

0 38
 04-10-2017, 08:06 AM
User Info
I found myself staring at a wall of carts for my Fusion at Costco one day and decided I couldn't keep buying them.  I went home, searched the web, bought a Futur and some feathers and went from there.  Used the Futur with some brushless cream for a few months, then bought a brush and some Haslinger.  Transition took about 4 months, but was very pleased with the change from day one.

16 1,303
 04-10-2017, 08:21 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
This was how I learned how to shave.  I have tried every type of razor there is, I think, though.  I am going to stick with the DE.  This was really popular in the 90's.  I mean, really, really popular.  Everyone, it seemed, got into shaving, at the same time.   Around 1998, I think.  Everyone from the Punk Rockers to random quasi-bros had a double edge razor.  

Alt-Innsbruck was my favourite, back then.

1 589
 04-10-2017, 08:34 AM
User Info
I was selling some straights I had collected in the 1980s on ebay. This in 2006. I asked a friend to look at the listings to evaluate the photos/description. He ended up becoming interested and looked on the Internet for shaving forums. His new found enthusiasm became infections and I caught the bug. Been at it ever since.

7 233
 04-10-2017, 08:35 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Learned to shave from my Father. Started with a Gem single edge, probably a Boar or horsehair brush, an English soap in a wooden bowl and Old Spice aftershave. I went in the army and shaving became something to do very quickly in the morning. Enter carts and canned goo. Hated shaving but forgot about the joys. Got out of the Army but continued to use goo and carts. Then I became a College Prof so I grew a beard to fit my new status in life. I finally retired and decided the beard made me look too old. Went to the drug store and was amazed that I could no longer find DE Razors,Soap and brushes. Did an internet search found three wet shaving sites and quickly became a clean shaven Professor Emeritus. Just for nostalgia I kept some Old Spice.

68 1,064
 04-10-2017, 12:05 PM
User Info
My father

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3 125
 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
My buddy back in 08 stopped by with a few razors he picked up and to tell me he got involved with a new hobby , I eventually got some items as it sounded interesting and needless to say I enjoyed the hobby so much I have been shaving this way ever since.

60 1,444
 04-10-2017, 03:11 PM
User Info
(04-09-2017, 10:20 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 05:15 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Hey fellas!  I'm interested in hearing how you found this hobby.  Be specific.  LETS GO!

Having completed a two year assignment in Asia, I had planned to return to the United States by train through Siberia accompanied by my girlfriend, but she eloped with another man.  My new return trip itinerary featured a 14-day crossing of the Pacific Ocean (Yokohama to San Francisco via Honolulu and Vancouver) aboard the P&O Orient Lines HMS Orsova.  You can deduce the rest.   Hmm

I think there is a book or movie in your story!

3 142
 04-10-2017, 04:39 PM
User Info
Same as many. Got tired of the crazy prices for carts and went searching for alternatives.

0 170
 04-10-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
In 2003 I was at an outpost in Eastern Europe. I needed a shave. I found someone with a razor. A safety razor to be exact. The guy showed me how to use it, and I never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1
 04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
(04-10-2017, 03:11 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 10:20 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 05:15 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Hey fellas!  I'm interested in hearing how you found this hobby.  Be specific.  LETS GO!

Having completed a two year assignment in Asia, I had planned to return to the United States by train through Siberia accompanied by my girlfriend, but she eloped with another man.  My new return trip itinerary featured a 14-day crossing of the Pacific Ocean (Yokohama to San Francisco via Honolulu and Vancouver) aboard the P&O Orient Lines HMS Orsova.  You can deduce the rest.   Hmm

Yes. I would love to know a bit more about it...

0 479
 04-10-2017, 07:02 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Woodturning was one of my first hobbies, and when I was looking for small-ish turning pieces to make, I ran across a shaving brush on an internet search in 2004, and the rest is history!

10 232
 04-10-2017, 09:44 PM
User Info
I stopped into Art of Shaving every time I was at Mandalay Bay (Las Vegas). After a few years of that, my wife bought me the rosegold razor/brush and sandalwood kit as a very nice Christmas gift. I've had Soap-Acquisition-Disorder ever since.

6 704
 04-10-2017, 09:53 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
Corrosion kept gorging on my metal cans of aerosolized shaving cream. One morning – it’s been three years now – I woke up tired of scouring rust rings off the shelf. I ordered a wooden bowl full of fragrant soap, little suspecting that when I broke its paper seal, I would be turning myself into a wet shave junky.

5 113
 04-11-2017, 03:43 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I was looking into Harry's and Dollar shave club since I didn't like anything available from Schick or Gillette and I wound up seeing a MicroTouch one at the grocery store.  I had never seen a double edge razor, so I started doing research.  I try to avoid things made in China, so I would up buying a Merkur 1904.  I remember thinking that $30 was a lot to spend on a razor and now I have 3 stainless steel razors.  

I always had trouble with ingrown hairs/razor bumps and now I rarely get them, so there will be no turning back for me.  I even used to have a prescription shaving cream.  At one point, my dermatologist told me that I should get a single blade razor.  I had no idea what she was talking about since I had never seen less than 2 and even those were hard to find.  It wasn't until I had been shaving with a DE for a month or so that I realized what she was talking about.

3 557
 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-10-2017, 06:59 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(04-10-2017, 03:11 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 10:20 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Having completed a two year assignment in Asia, I had planned to return to the United States by train through Siberia accompanied by my girlfriend, but she eloped with another man.  My new return trip itinerary featured a 14-day crossing of the Pacific Ocean (Yokohama to San Francisco via Honolulu and Vancouver) aboard the P&O Orient Lines HMS Orsova.  You can deduce the rest.   Hmm

Yes. I would love to know a bit more about it...

I ended the account at the point where it went all prosaic.  I was 26 at the time,
  1.  AND, up to that time, I never had shaved by any other means than with an electric shaver, and the ship that I was boarding had only English electric (mains) plugs, with which my American Ronson (rebadged German Braun) shaver would not mate;
  2.  BUT I happened to own (still do, in fact) a PAL Stainless Adjustable injector razor that I had purchased a half dozen years earlier, not as a shaving instrument, but as an objet d’art to decorate my dorm room.
[Image: TV7LIzC.jpg]
The day before embarking from Yokohama, I went to, IIRC, the Nihonbashi Maruzen and purchased a package of Schick injector blades and an aerosol can of Noxzema shave cream.  The first time in my life that I ever self-performed a wet† shave was on board HMS Orsova on the Pacific Ocean, not far east of Yokohama.  When I disembarked in San Francisco two weeks later, my face probably resembled freshly ground hamburger, and I was very eager to return to my trusty electric shaver.  But, after a fortnight of — in essence — washing my face thoroughly as I shaved every day, when I returned to shaving my dry face with the electric shaver, I felt “dirty” afterward; and within a week or two, I had entered, permanently, as it turns out, into a lifetime of wet shaving.  

†  I maintain, and am not subject to persuasion to the contrary,
  that when one intentionally makes one’s beard as wet as possible and applies the blade to that wet surface  
one is wet shaving.

(The story does not end there, and, in fact, I left out the most important part near the beginning, but the “rest of the story” is all mushy romantic.)

1 1,073
 04-11-2017, 09:09 AM
User Info
^^
Glad to see that the next installment has been published.  Great story!

16 1,303
 04-11-2017, 09:33 AM
User Info
Amazing!

0 479
 04-11-2017, 09:35 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(04-09-2017, 08:09 PM)grayhane Wrote: In '68 I joined the Army. The Red Cross was handing out doop kits to all the guys going in.
I really didn't need to shave then due to my youth but going through the motions was part of the basic training experience.
Two of my uncles used a mug and brush and one of them used a straight razor.
As soon as shaving became a real necessity, I picked up a brush to go with my DE and a mug with Williams and been shaving that way ever since. 
Have recently been looking into straight razors but so far the only one I have had was past it's freshness date and until I replace it will be using the old DE standby

That is a cool story.  Do you still use Williams soap?

(04-10-2017, 08:34 AM)JimmyH Wrote: I was selling some straights I had collected in the 1980s on ebay. This in 2006. I asked a friend to look at the listings to evaluate the photos/description. He ended up becoming interested and looked on the Internet for shaving forums. His new found enthusiasm became infections and I caught the bug. Been at it ever since.

Please tell me you ended up keeping the straights from the 1980's

1 589