04-04-2019, 05:25 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I hated the cart shave. my biggest problem with a cart was the area around the adam's apple. after a particularly bad cart shave, I read about wet shaving. trolled the wet shavers on Youtube. experimented on my neck with a qshave futur and cremo. picked up a milder vintage gillette. then a brush and soap. then......

anyway now i have 7 razors including a just delivered SE (black hawk v2 with Kai pinks), 4 brushes and a cupboard full of soaps, balms and splashes.

oh yes, and a big smile on a completely shaved irritation free face.  Biggrin

0 252
 04-04-2019, 05:26 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(04-04-2019, 05:25 AM)RyznRio Wrote: I hated the cart shave. my biggest problem with a cart was the area around the adam's apple. after a particularly bad cart shave, I read about wet shaving. trolled the wet shavers on Youtube. experimented on my neck with a qshave futur and cremo. picked up a milder vintage gillette. then a brush and soap. then......

anyway now i have 7 razors including a just delivered SE (black hawk v2 with Kai pinks), 4 brushes and a cupboard full of soaps, balms and splashes.

oh yes, and a big smile on a completely shaved irritation free face.  Biggrin

0 252
 04-04-2019, 05:38 AM
User Info
When I was 16 or so, maybe even 15, my father gave me his Remington electric razor.  I used it for maybe a week or two before I realized how much I hated using it and how little it was actually doing anything beyond making my face irritated.  At least I realized why my father always seemed to have a 5 o'clock shadow.  So I went out and bought myself some BIC disposable razors and a can of what I think was Noxema shaving cream.  My first attempts were horrendous and bloody.  But I was feeling like a man.  So that was my start at wet shaving.  We are talking around 1975 or 1976.  I used cartridges for years after that and graduated from the BIC to the various Gillette razors, ending with the Mach 3 and Edge Gel.  I refused to go to 5 blades.  Then back in November or December 2015 (or was it 2014?) my wife had me walk into the Art of Shaving store in the mall near us to check things out.  She was thinking of a Christmas present for me.  So we get the demonstration from the saleswoman about how to lather in your hand with a brush.  With that she bought me a medium sized sandalwood travel kit which came with pre-shave oil, shaving cream, post shave balm and a small travel sized pure badger brush.  Once I used it I was hooked on both the whole ritual of working up the lather as well as the intoxicating scent of a quality shaving cream.  I was in heaven.  Little did I or my wife know it would be the beginning of her own bit of hell.  Anyway, I was still using the Mach 3 at this point and was reluctant, well, really afraid is the right term, to try a double edge.  I joined B&B and was posting about my new foray into wet shaving but was afraid of a DE.  A generous member offered to PIF me a frankenrazor he had which was an Edwin Jagger chrome (smooth) handle and a Razorock DE89 clone head along with some blades.  When it arrived I waited a few days and then one weekend when I had some time I gave it a try.  I was blown away at how much closer my shave was than I was getting with my cart.  And I hadn't even begun to have any technique.  This then began a long period of acquisitions to the point where I now have 31 razors, 49 shaving creams and soaps, 16 brushes, 4 aftershave balms and 13 aftershave splashes.  After about 4 years I'm now at the point where I am zeroing in on my favorite gear and am thinking about starting to sell some razors, at least duplicates of razors that I don't use very much.  My son is 16 and of course I've turned him onto the proper way to shave but he has said "I'm not going to become like you Dad with all that stuff."  Yeah sure.  So I'm thinking I might keep the collection for when he gets older and has a real beard to shave so he can experiment with different implements.  I love this hobby and would like to think it has grounded me somewhat but it's more likely that it has made me even more looney.  Or cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

2 244
 04-05-2019, 09:16 AM
  • chrism
  • England, UK
User Info
I have always used Gillette cartridge razors since the age of 14 or 15 (with canned foam moving to canned gel). As Gillette brought out a new cartridge I usually changed, going from Mach to Fusion.

Then for Christmas 2017 my wife bought me a relatively cheap DE shaver and some Derby blades after reading some reviews online as a cheaper and better way to shave.

Since then I have been hooked - I now spend much more money on SS DE razors and quality soaps - much more than I ever spent on Gillette cartridges Wink

0 31
 04-05-2019, 09:45 AM
User Info
(04-04-2019, 05:38 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: When I was 16 or so, maybe even 15, my father gave me his Remington electric razor.  I used it for maybe a week or two before I realized how much I hated using it and how little it was actually doing anything beyond making my face irritated.  At least I realized why my father always seemed to have a 5 o'clock shadow.  So I went out and bought myself some BIC disposable razors and a can of what I think was Noxema shaving cream.  My first attempts were horrendous and bloody.  But I was feeling like a man.  So that was my start at wet shaving.  We are talking around 1975 or 1976.  I used cartridges for years after that and graduated from the BIC to the various Gillette razors, ending with the Mach 3 and Edge Gel.  I refused to go to 5 blades.  Then back in November or December 2015 (or was it 2014?) my wife had me walk into the Art of Shaving store in the mall near us to check things out.  She was thinking of a Christmas present for me.  So we get the demonstration from the saleswoman about how to lather in your hand with a brush.  With that she bought me a medium sized sandalwood travel kit which came with pre-shave oil, shaving cream, post shave balm and a small travel sized pure badger brush.  Once I used it I was hooked on both the whole ritual of working up the lather as well as the intoxicating scent of a quality shaving cream.  I was in heaven.  Little did I or my wife know it would be the beginning of her own bit of hell.  Anyway, I was still using the Mach 3 at this point and was reluctant, well, really afraid is the right term, to try a double edge.  I joined B&B and was posting about my new foray into wet shaving but was afraid of a DE.  A generous member offered to PIF me a frankenrazor he had which was an Edwin Jagger chrome (smooth) handle and a Razorock DE89 clone head along with some blades.  When it arrived I waited a few days and then one weekend when I had some time I gave it a try.  I was blown away at how much closer my shave was than I was getting with my cart.  And I hadn't even begun to have any technique.  This then began a long period of acquisitions to the point where I now have 31 razors, 49 shaving creams and soaps, 16 brushes, 4 aftershave balms and 13 aftershave splashes.  After about 4 years I'm now at the point where I am zeroing in on my favorite gear and am thinking about starting to sell some razors, at least duplicates of razors that I don't use very much.  My son is 16 and of course I've turned him onto the proper way to shave but he has said "I'm not going to become like you Dad with all that stuff."  Yeah sure.  So I'm thinking I might keep the collection for when he gets older and has a real beard to shave so he can experiment with different implements.  I love this hobby and would like to think it has grounded me somewhat but it's more likely that it has made me even more looney.  Or cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

thanks for sharing and glad you are around.  I enjoy your posts.

6 408