08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
User Info
I appear to be one of those folks who can get a large # of shaves from a blade for one reason or another (assuming a good blade). I don't write that to create a competition, but it seems to be that way. I suppose it comes from testing blades to their destruction, that is, to the point where they give up their useful life.

I've found that if a DE blade makes it past the first few shaves, very few display "dull" (tugging, whatever) before they display too many weepers.

In SE blades I've noticed that they display difficult cutting (dullness) or tugging to indicate dull, and never weepers.

What's your experience?

32 6,312
 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM
User Info
Brian, my experience is similar. With single edge and injectors, I would feel dullness developing, with increasing resistance/drag and decreased efficiency, while with double edge blades I get nicks, almost as though the blade has become uneven/irregular, with micro-dings. I know that's all very unscientific, but it's how I experience it. However, I don't get an unusually high number of shaves from a blade, probably about the average.

185 12,010
 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have not used a single edge or injector razor in decades, but my experience with DEs is that they tug (sometimes the head just stops) even if they are new (first use). I don't believe this is due to poor prep. If I use a Feather blade, it takes several shaves before it tugs. Merkur blades tug on the first shave along with many others. If all or part of one's beard is hard to cut, even with the best prep, then any edge not sharp enough to handle it will pull or tug.

I don't think the that would change between SE and DE. BUT, there is the fact the SE blades are more ridged than DEs and that could affect ones perception. I think a flexible blade would transmit the resistance of the beard to the shaver more than a rigid blade. It's just a hypotheses though. Cool

16 545
 08-18-2012, 01:56 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I have same experience, Brian, but I never wait for the blade to tell me it's no good, I will not experiment on my face by pushing the blade until it's too dull, 3-4 shaves for me is good enough.

88 4,233
 08-18-2012, 04:45 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 08:57 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: What's your experience?

I'm going to live till I die; my DE blades as well. Tongue

Nowadays I get 4 or 5 shaves per blade. They don't 'zackly tug, but they've lost their edge and I feel it. Of course, there's one "fatal spot" on my neck. If I ever get a cut that's where it'll be. Nicked it today and so out with an AsSPlat after only 4 uses. And I really thought I'd get one more use from it. Good thing I have hundreds of backup blades!

(08-18-2012, 01:56 PM)beartrap Wrote: I have same experience, Brian, but I never wait for the blade to tell me it's no good, I will not experiment on my face by pushing the blade until it's too dull, 3-4 shaves for me is good enough.

+1 over here! Smile

0 554
 08-18-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
I just notice the shave is less close and feel a bit more resistance when passing the blade. I don't really get weepers unless I make a mistake. FWIW, I only have used DE.

47 1,270
 08-18-2012, 05:57 PM
User Info
(08-17-2012, 09:20 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Brian, my experience is similar. With single edge and injectors, I would feel dullness developing, with increasing resistance/drag and decreased efficiency, while with double edge blades I get nicks, almost as though the blade has become uneven/irregular, with micro-dings. I know that's all very unscientific, but it's how I experience it. However, I don't get an unusually high number of shaves from a blade, probably about the average.
It may not be scientific, but that's how it goes for me too. I don't use SE or DE often, so I notice FAST when a blade isn't up to snuff.

1 345
 08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
Same here, Brian. When I hit a dull or bad injector blade, I know it pretty quick. With DE blades, 4-5 and I toss it although I have push a Med. Prep. Personna to Hell and back before with great results.

Now that the Iridiums are back, I might be a one shave per blade and out shaver.Wink

9 1,199
 08-18-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
i in the majority and get the usual 4-5 shaves with most DE blades. However, i usually get 5-7 with the Super Iridiums and they never tug, just are not very smooth. i guess i could try stropping the DE blades at that point.

75 20,884
 08-19-2012, 12:05 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
DE: SI, Polsilvers and the Pol SI all will easily give me about 4 to 5 really good shaves. The only other DE blade that comes close is the Gillette Stainless. Every thing else I ditch at 2 to 3 shaves...

SE: the Feathers are my favourite and I get 4 good shaves and usually another OK 1. The Kai Mild only 3 and no more.

When I'm happy that I'm familiar with a blade's limit (for me) I don't experiment with pushing it further. Comfort is more important than economy as far as I'm concerned.

91 17,886
 08-19-2012, 05:43 AM
User Info
For the most part I use NOS Gillette blades these day's and use each blade for one week, thats seven shaves doing two passes, they last, for me that long so I feel I got my money's worth. When I venture out into other blades, the tell tale sign for me a blade is on its way out, are the weepers.

0 86
 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
User Info
Most shaves with:

DE blades: usually 4 shaves, sometimes a few more
SE blades: around 10 with a Schick blade and around15 with a GEM PTFE

Once they start to drag, out they go.

0 433