04-10-2017, 05:49 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Hello Gentlemen,

Another question for the best soap forum there is, 'Which soaps and creams have sweet almond oil in them?'

I've found that my skin likes almond oil very much. I had noticed and improvement in some small areas of likely hereditary redness with some soap products but didn't make any connection until a fellow TSN member recommended ABC as a fine straight razor soap, and the ABC worked very well and made my skin feel very good. Long story shorter, I'm off to the supermarket after some Google-Fu on almond oil, and I can confirm that almond oil is at least one ingredient my skin likes very much, and it is added to some sensitive skin soap formulas. I suppose benzaldehyde, the bitter almond extract used to scent soaps could be of interest but no way to test it that I know of and it may be listed as 'parfum' in some formulas.

So one evening I spent an hour or two looking at my own stash and the Bullgoose and West Coast Shaving sites, which show the ingredients of most soaps and creams. And special thanks to Phil and WCS for bothering to do this. The results are not quite what you might think! Some soaps have it and others do not, and below is an interesting (to me) list of soaps and creams that list or do not list sweet almond oil as an ingredient.

Soaps that list almond oil:

Almost every Stirling
Cella tub
Volcans Cedre Amande
ABC hard
ABC cream
Razorock King Lois Lavender
TOBS Jermyn Street hard soap
DR Harris stick and hard almond soap

Soaps that do not list almond oil that you might think would:

Cella brick
Acca Kappa 1869 pre-reformulation
Trumper's almond cream
Boellis Panama
Klaar almond
TOBS almond (lists benzaldehyde)
TOBS Jermyn Street cream (tube)
DR Harris almond cream (lists benzaldehyde)
Valobra almond
Razororock P.160, current version

So any other almond oil containing creams or soaps? Thank you gentlemen.

Cheers, Steve

7 527
 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM
User Info
Steve, keep in mind almond oil and almond scent are two different things - sweet almond oil is a good skin care oil (if your not allergic to nuts) and is supposed to be high in vitamin e, but I don't think that almond fragrance - synthetic or natural - has any particular benefit to the skin.

0 280
 04-10-2017, 09:39 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your response!

Yes, the sweet almond oil has little or no fragrance, the almond fragrance is from the benzaldehyde in bitter almonds and as best I can tell, it shares some of the benefits of the sweet oil. Apparently unrefined bitter almond oil has cyanide in it as well as benzaldehyde, and the benzaldehyde is extracted and is safe to use at least at low levels. It appears to be the ingredient in synthetic almond oil extract used in cooking (and scenting everything else too), so I imagine you could try it in that carrier if you didn't mind being sticky for a while, I suppose synthetic cooking extract probably has a bit of sugar in it. Disaronno might be better, but I'd never get any on my skin after I drunk all of it after dinner, lol.

Trying to find credible scientific info on the internet is not always easy, but here's a link to a page on benzaldehyde:

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun...ection=Top

Cheers, Steve

7 527
 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM
User Info
My Italian mother-in-law used to grind ONE bitter almond with pounds of regular almonds when she was making almond paste sweets.  There was a "Drogheria" (which sounds like "drugstore", but isn't) a neighborhood mom-and-pop store that sold spices out of jars and small household goods.  She would buy a small amount wrapped in a twist of paper - they trust you to know how to use them and not poison the family!  That one bitter almond made the whole kitchen smell like almonds.  The only medicinal use that I know of for topical use of bitter almond essential oil (having read about it only, not done it myself) comes from its poisonous properties - it might be useful in a preparation to kill lice or something like that, but I don't think I'd try it.  I wouldn't use almond extract (the kind used for cooking) as a cosmetic product.  The oil is good though, I like it a lot for skin care.

0 280
 04-10-2017, 03:33 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Hi Michelle,

Yes I've read similar accounts consistent with your post and thank you for the wonderful family story! I didn't realize that the bitter almonds were so potent in benzaldehyde. Why buy the expensive almond extract when you can buy one almond?

Bitter almond oil which includes the amygdalin glycoside (many toxic plants have this compound) and cyanide have historical medicinal uses which I will not go into, but you're probably right about the use vs toxicity aspect. Apparently some 'critters' that like to live in us or on us are slightly more sensitive to bitter almonds than we are. I cannot believe that there are not better and safer options now.

The paper linked above says that the maximum observed concentration of benzaldehyde has been in a cosmetic product is about 0.5%. That's pretty stout for a pungent essential oil, I found out just playing around that a 1% concentration of lavender, thyme, rosemary, etc is a very potent concentration.

The TOBS and Taylors products above have benzaldehyde in them as does any shaving product that smells of almonds I suspect and are considered cosmetic products.

And hey, we eat the stuff (quite happily in my case) on a regular basis. So I decided to dab a bit of high grade almond extract on my inner arm, no effect whatever. And no sugar in it apparently, it just smells sweet. Maybe we take this stuff too seriously. Certainly, we have allergies or sensitivities, I do. But as far as I know, no one ever died or suffered anything but short term effects from shaving products. If something makes you tingle or lights you up, use something else.

Cheers, Steve

7 527
 04-10-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
Good advice!  Moderation in all things, etc.

0 280
 04-10-2017, 09:38 PM
User Info
I'm going for a quick off-topic: It isn't cheap but check out L'Occitane Amande Shower Oil. I've never used a soap that left my skin so soft, and I've also never used an oil that has lathering agents in it.

6 750
 04-10-2017, 10:09 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Oklahoma via Vicenza, Italy
User Info
Steve,

I wholeheartedly recommend Cella.  I used it to shave this morning.  The almond scent is quite pleasing (to me at least) and it leaves my skin feeling amazing.  It is also a fantastic value.

0 14
 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
L'Occitane makes good stuff - and they're very proud of it! I've noticed that almond line, may have to check out some of the products. They make so many it's sometimes hard to figure it out, so thanks for the recommendation!

Cheers, Steve

7 527