04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
User Info
Hi everyone - 

Its hard to think of Simpson's and think "affordable."  Of course they have "entry level" brushes, such as the Special or the Colonel, but with those one sacrifices certain characteristics for cost.  Its also hard to think of Simpson's and think "synthetic."  They are the Cadillac of badger brushes.  There are other brands that might be flashier, newer, and frankly better, but Simpson's has earned its reputation over the close to a century they've been in business.   

Recently I became intrigued in trying the Chubby 2 in synthetic.  It was an odd fixation because I both didn't care for the synthetic Classic 1 I tried a few years' ago and never really cared for the various Chubby 2's I've tried over the years (Best, Super, 2-Band).  But here I was.  Thanks to ddk13, I was able to get my hands on one this past weekend.  And I have to say, I am utterly surprised in how incredible this brush is.  

Most synthetics I've tried I just frankly haven't liked very much.  Besides the Classic 1, I've tried various Muhle brushes, the L'Occitaine Plisson, and others.  In fact my favorite was a cheap HJM black fibre brush that I honestly have no idea how I obtained; I think it might have been a throw-in in some other purchase I made.  I prefer mashing the brush and swirling (spare me the lecture!).  Everything I read about the Chubby 2 synthetic was that you could only make lather with painting strokes and so that's how I approached.  But then I realized that I could "push" into it a little bit and swirl and that opened up a whole new ballgame!  

Here it is "pre-loaded.  I used Barrister & Mann's Latha Oceana soap today, and actually overloaded it:

After the first pass:

After the second pass:

I probably could have gone for 7 passes; that's how much lather it created.  It is incredibly soft to use, but doesn't splay out like other synthetics.  It reminds me of using a nicely dense badger but without any scritchiness nor was it too dense to mash and swirl.  For me it represents all of the benefits of a high-end brush without any downsides.  I've owned massive brushes before such as the Chubby 3 and the Rooney 3XL.  I've also owned high-end brushes before, such as a couple of Rooney Finests and old Simpson's 2-Band brushes.  The Chubby 2 synthetic is soft on the face but with presence, which is what all of my old big and high-end brushes have had.  

However, the Chubby 2 is much cheaper than those, even if you could find them these days.  Now it isn't cheap the way other synthetics are these days, such as offerings from RazoRock, Fine Accouterments, and others.  But in terms of what you are getting, such as the iconic Chubby 2 handle and the face-feel of a big, luxurious badger brush, it is quite a bargain, in my opinion.  Simpson's sells it for 70 GBP ($87 as of today).  It should be compared with brushes that are 2-3 times the cost.

Thanks,
Josh

84 1,505
 04-11-2017, 12:15 PM
User Info
I just ordered a Chubby 2 Synthetic Bristle in Tortoise.  I look forward to seeing how it compares to my Chubby 2 in Best (one of my favorite brushes).

1 158
 04-11-2017, 12:37 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review Josh.  I have over 300 shaves with a CH 2 synthetic, and consider it my favorite synthetic brush.  I've tried most of the other synthetics on the market and, for me, the CH 2 is superior.  I face lather exclusively and use painting strokes, so I don't have any issues with the brush not working well with circular strokes. The short loft and density of the knot gives it good backbone, and a great soft but firm feel on the face.  The handle is the same as the badger CH 2's, which is nice.

[Image: NZNNcKZ.jpg]

50 6,053
 04-11-2017, 12:49 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(04-11-2017, 12:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for the review Josh.  I have over 300 shaves with a CH 2 synthetic, and consider it my favorite synthetic brush.  I've tried most of the other synthetics on the market and, for me, the CH 2 is superior.  I face lather exclusively and use painting strokes, so I don't have any issues with the brush not working well with circular strokes. The short loft and density of the knot gives it good backbone, and a great soft but firm feel on the face.  The handle is the same as the badger CH 2's, which is nice.

Pretty trio! Tempting, but given I did not like any Synthetic I tried to date, I will refrain from getting one of these...

37 1,861
 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM
User Info
(04-11-2017, 12:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for the review Josh.  I have over 300 shaves with a CH 2 synthetic, and consider it my favorite synthetic brush.  I've tried most of the other synthetics on the market and, for me, the CH 2 is superior.  I face lather exclusively and use painting strokes, so I don't have any issues with the brush not working well with circular strokes. The short loft and density of the knot gives it good backbone, and a great soft but firm feel on the face.  The handle is the same as the badger CH 2's, which is nice.

Ricardo - it was actually your ongoing comments about it on B&B that piqued my curiosity. It seemed that when the first public batch of Chubby 2 synthetics were released they were met with indifference and never gained traction. Then I read your comments about the taller loft later versions and thought I should give it a go. I'm glad to see that you are still enthusiastic about them.

84 1,505
 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM
User Info
Mine was "special ordered" with 54mm loft and had no problems with splaying, springiness, or hogging lather. That's about as tall as they make them and it shows off the brush to best advantage.

29 1,776
 04-13-2017, 02:05 AM
User Info
I love the Chubby 2 synthetic! Aside from creating copious amounts of lather, every time I use it I pause for a just moment to marvel at the softness of the tips.... yeah it's that good.

23 475
 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM
User Info
Bought one a while ago...sold it...would not splay...may try a Duke.

20 367
 04-14-2017, 06:44 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Is it just me or did the hair fiber (at least, visually) also change?
Previous versions look more blonde, the new ones look more grey like Mühle.

59 2,804
 04-14-2017, 05:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-14-2017, 06:44 AM)Nero Wrote: Is it just me or did the hair fiber (at least, visually) also change?

Yeah, I was thinking almost the same thing. However on my screen they look more "Best"-like. More "brownish" perhaps? Either way, definitely more natural looking. Looks especially nice in the tortoise handle.

7 2,125
 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM
User Info
Is possible to ask Mark to do it with custom loft?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 1,065
 04-15-2017, 01:26 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-14-2017, 05:37 PM)chazt Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 06:44 AM)Nero Wrote: Is it just me or did the hair fiber (at least, visually) also change?

Yeah, I was thinking almost the same thing. However on my screen they look more "Best"-like. More "brownish" perhaps? Either way, definitely more natural looking. Looks especially nice in the tortoise handle.

Yeah sorry I guess grey was the wrong color.
Definitely a "best brown" look (as opposed to "silvertip white").

59 2,804
 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Ok. gonna use mine tomorrow.

7 2,125