04-14-2017, 07:18 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried Alluvian Aquatic Botanical Grooming shave soaps?  I came across them on Instagram.

0 19
 04-15-2017, 05:36 AM
User Info
(04-14-2017, 07:18 PM)Piker Wrote: Has anyone tried Alluvian Aquatic Botanical Grooming shave soaps?  I came across them on Instagram.

$36 for a tin? Yikes. 

LooksI like it might be a fairly decent veggie croap, based on the ingredients list, but that price is crazy. 

I can tell you that it is very soft, based on the fact that the maker says you can apply it with your fingers like a shave butter if you would like, and that there is only potassium hydroxide used in its specification. 

It kind of cracks me up how it is trying to bill itself as both ultra sophisticated and down to earth at the same time. The website goes on and on about using the ocean and nature in its products, and about how the silt from the sea is so good for you, etc, etc. But then when you look at the actual ingredients list for the soap, the very last ingredient listed is bentonite clay. So, in essence, it includes just a tiny bit of an ingredient that I would consider not exactly exotic.  In fact, there have been long discussions on the shave forums in the past about whether this ingredient is ultimately good or bad.  The guy just buys it in bulk from an internet supplier, no doubt. I think it's an ok addition to a shave soap, but it's certainly not a deal maker.

Like I said, it probably lather and shaves ok. Looking at the ingredients, I don't think this one will be worthless. But there are so many great soaps that are well below that price point.

2 1,461
 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Just received a tin of Bohemian Coast. Lathers beautifully, slick, protective and smells great. Pos-tshave feeling is similar IMO to the one that I experienced with Midnight & Two. The price is indeed quite high ($36 on their website and $32 on Etsy), but I appreciate artisans who go extra mile to make their products organic and I am happy to pay premium for that.

Will post a few lather photos this weekend.

113 1,497
 04-22-2017, 06:36 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-20-2017, 04:15 PM)ARGH Wrote: Will post a few lather photos this weekend.

Please do, would like to see!

59 2,825
 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Here you go! This soap performs wonderfully, smells great and is organic!

45 seconds loaded
[Image: SCwuwJe.jpg]

45 seconds loaded top view
[Image: 6jo2aWL.jpg]

30 Seconds lathering
[Image: XZXcMuI.jpg]

45 seconds lather
[Image: mQncabS.jpg]

1 minute 30 seconds lather
[Image: BxoLUli.jpg]

2 minutes lather
[Image: 0xYsb3W.jpg]

[Image: a86kUVR.jpg]

113 1,497
 04-22-2017, 12:41 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Cool! I guess I have to order it.
Darn y--, I mean, Thank you Smile

59 2,825
 04-22-2017, 01:15 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Most welcome! I used this soap for a few times and am very satisfied with its performance. I prefer tallow-based soaps, but shaving with this vegetal soap I could not feel any difference. The only downside is the size of the tin, though using my 26mm M&F/BS was pretty comfortable.

113 1,497
 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Ordered two soaps:

Isle of Man - is an island rising from the northern Irish Sea, where bright green rolling hills and jagged stones catch long traveled winds. Alluring scents of sweet earth, peppermint, sage brush and ocean.

Malabar Cabaret - Aromatic blend that befits a man of mystery. Opulent, unconventional notes of sweet leather, anise (licorice) and wood.

Interesting scent profiles I'm really looking forward to.

59 2,825
 04-22-2017, 04:07 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Ingredients: Stearic Acid (plant-derived), Water, Castor Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Oil*, Kokum Butter, Palm Kernel Oil*, Sweet Almond Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Avocado Oil, Essential Oils, Irish Moss* and Bentonite Clay.

*Organic

59 2,825
 04-22-2017, 08:10 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Awesome! Looking forward to learning about your experience with these soaps!

113 1,497
 04-23-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 04:07 PM)Nero Wrote: Ingredients: Stearic Acid (plant-derived), Water, Castor Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Oil*, Kokum Butter, Palm Kernel Oil*, Sweet Almond Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Avocado Oil, Essential Oils, Irish Moss* and Bentonite Clay.

*Organic

a high percentage of both stearic acid and castor oil really contributes to that creamy, rich lather.  Coconut oil makes it lather up faster.  Looks like a really nice soap.  Enjoy!

2 1,461
 05-12-2017, 07:36 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Just wanted to follow up and let you know that after a few more shaves the Alluvian shaving soap has secured its place in the regular rotation among my top performers. I would be very interested to learn about your experiences using this soap, Gentlemen!

113 1,497