05-14-2017, 04:40 PM
User Info
I have an AOS store near me. Unfortunately, I have never really been a big fan of most of their stuff. To be fair I never tried the older stuff and I do like most things tallow and sandlewood. I may have to give this a shot.

7 116
 05-15-2017, 06:54 AM
User Info
For today's shave, I decided to break open a puck of AOS Lemon (Tallow) which I have had stored for the last year or so. I grated it up and pressed it into an aftermarket tub, which I purchased from Michelle at MW. The lemon scent is indeed present, albeit faint. No surprise there. The color of the soap is significantly lighter than its sandalwood and unscented brethren. Now to the lather.
I have used said brethren for over three years and the lemon did not disappoint. Indeed, it amazed me. Slickity-slick, mithril-like protection for each of my three passes. No burn. No drying. Indeed the post-shave is stellar. I often ask myself, why I have purchased the multitudes of soap over the past three years, when the GREATEST soap that I have ever used is already in my den? (I have 4 reserve pucks stashed  Biggrin ) The answer (for me) is scent profiles. But let's be honest with ourselves; does a $60 tub of MdC give you a BETTER shave? (I own two MdC jars) Answer: no, of course not. Scents enhance the shave experience, pure and simple, however do not facilitate a better shave itself.
These discontinued soaps  Sad are still readily available and can be had for approximately $10-12/puck. (Caveat: lemon is rarer and can cost upwards of $20). Every wet shaver should try a puck of tallow AOS (any scent). It has usurped the number one position of my beloved vintage Williams as my desert island shave soap.
Thanks for reading.

39 3,911
 05-15-2017, 12:53 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks for your thoughts, Primo. It's the real deal.

59 2,662
 05-15-2017, 06:16 PM
User Info
I have a small stash of it. I call it old school excellence.

24 1,215
 05-17-2017, 09:20 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Since I got this amazing soap I've been searching for the Lavender with no luck. I'm not sure how I would like the lemon so I have been thinking of getting an unscented one and adding lavender EO but surprisingly the unscented are all asking for more money than the sandalwood version. Maybe I'll just get another Sandalwood. Due to a small streak of luck (sold my car since it's too uncomfortable to drive) I've been able to purchase a few things and boost my spirits. I have a brush coming from Lee. A style 3 in size 2 in Horn with Finest hair, a bottle of Floid Amber, the AOS Sandalwood and I'm thinking about getting my Gold Aristocrat revamped and replated. If I do I'll be asking for recommendations in the appropriate forum. Also maybe another bottle of English Fern. I wish it came in an aftershave to complete my set. I have some of the old tallow English Fern shaving soap.
Ok , enough of my signature old man ramble.

7 2,298
 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM
User Info
Any lather shots of AOS Tallow?

79 1,316
 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM
User Info
AOS Sandalwood is the soap that got me into all this fun. It is definitely my favorite Sandalwood. It's a must try.

0 858
 05-18-2017, 08:44 PM
User Info
This stuff is so good and cheap, that I'm thinking of buying 30-40 pucks and just rotate them !

Seriously, scent in soaps no longer is of importance to me.

I get my scent of the day from my 600+ EDT/EDP/EDC fragrances, not from my 12 minute shave.........

24 5,917
 05-19-2017, 03:50 AM
User Info
(05-18-2017, 08:44 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: This stuff is so good and cheap, that I'm thinking of buying 30-40 pucks and just rotate them !

I get my scent of the day from my 600+ EDT/EDP/EDC fragrances, not from my 12 minute shave.........
+1 on the good and cheap, although my adjectives would be: "Terrific" and a "great value".
Good to see your post Claus.

39 3,911
 05-19-2017, 07:12 AM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 10:43 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Any lather shots of AOS Tallow?
For your viewing pleasure...
[Image: mBa91Na.jpg]
I call this my Beret pose...n'est-ce pas?

39 3,911
 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
(05-19-2017, 03:50 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 08:44 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: This stuff is so good and cheap, that I'm thinking of buying 30-40 pucks and just rotate them !

+1 on the good and cheap, although my adjectives would be: "Terrific" and a "great value".

I'm probably moving into fall/autumn season when it comes to shaving enthusiasm.
Been there done that, hype can't really get my attention any longer.
I'm immune.

You will only find a post here and there from me from now on.

I focus on shaving now. Using my products, which I know are among the absolute top.
Not so much inspired to discussing it anymore to be honest.

24 5,917
 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-19-2017, 07:12 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 10:43 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Any lather shots of AOS Tallow?
For your viewing pleasure...
[Image: mBa91Na.jpg]
I call this my Beret pose...n'est-ce pas?

Very nice, Primo!
(For a minute I thought it was a screenshot from Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.)
[Image: 07a822f106c358f871019c4caea209c2.gif]

59 2,662
 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM
User Info
(05-19-2017, 11:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 03:50 AM)primotenore Wrote:

I'm probably moving into fall/autumn season when it comes to shaving enthusiasm.
I'm immune.

I focus on shaving now. Using my products, which I know are among the absolute top.
I completely understand. My posting has decreased by about 80% as well. 
Keep in mind Claus, your experience and knowledge can be very helpful to the Newbies. Take care.

39 3,911
 05-19-2017, 04:19 PM
User Info
(05-19-2017, 01:35 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 11:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 03:50 AM)primotenore Wrote: +1 on the good and cheap, although my adjectives would be: "Terrific" and a "great value".

I'm immune.

Keep in mind Claus, your experience and knowledge can be very helpful to the Newbies. Take care.

I do realize that.

It's just funny, that I felt more inspired to help new guys, when I had less experience than I have now.
The more expereince I get, the less I feel the inspiration and dedication to write replies to help the new guys.

I'm glad some took the time and helped me, when I was the new guy.
But I also understand now why some of the more experienced guys stay silent.

24 5,917
 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 10:53 AM)EJaggerMan Wrote: AOS Sandalwood is the soap that got me into all this fun. It is definitely my favorite Sandalwood. It's a must try.

some people are easy to hook.  it  was their balm sandlewood that hooked me

73 1,278
 05-20-2017, 05:39 AM
User Info
(05-19-2017, 04:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 01:35 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 11:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm probably moving into fall/autumn season when it comes to shaving enthusiasm.
I'm immune.

I do realize that.

It's just funny, that I felt more inspired to help new guys, when I had less experience than I have now.
The more expereince I get, the less I feel the inspiration and dedication to write replies to help the new guys.

I get it. How many times can you answer the same questions, over and over?  Every so often a question or comment appears, which interests me enough to respond. 
I call it: Shave Forum Burn-out. I am pretty sure it's not unique to you or me.  We still enjoy our shaves, but we don't have a burning urge to share it with everyone else. Have a good day Claus. 
P.S. Sorry to derail the thread.  Angel

39 3,911
 05-20-2017, 06:33 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Agree with Claus and Primo, that's why I catch myself saying the same things over and over.

59 2,662
 05-20-2017, 12:07 PM
User Info
(05-20-2017, 05:39 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 04:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 01:35 PM)primotenore Wrote: I completely understand. My posting has decreased by about 80% as well. 

I do realize that.

I get it. How many times can you answer the same questions, over and over?  Every so often a question or comment appears, which interests me enough to respond. 
I call it: Shave Forum Burn-out. I am pretty sure it's not unique to you or me.  We still enjoy our shaves, but we don't have a burning urge to share it with everyone else. Have a good day Claus. 
P.S. Sorry to derail the thread.  Angel

(05-20-2017, 06:33 AM)Nero Wrote: Agree with Claus and Primo, that's why I catch myself saying the same things over and over.

I have loved this forum since 2012, and still do.

But as said, shave-forum burn out is very well put to explain what's happening in my case

I still appreciate being a member here, but the ring is closed. As you both also say, one can only reply to the same question a certain number of times before going insane

Back on topic.

Have just ordered a dozen AOS Tallow soaps. My father will get 3 pucks. He loves the soap too. Who doesn't

24 5,917
 05-20-2017, 03:10 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-20-2017, 12:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Back on topic.

Have just ordered a dozen AOS Tallow soaps. My father will get 3 pucks. He loves the soap too. Who doesn't

Now we're talkin' Biggrin

59 2,662
 05-20-2017, 03:16 PM
User Info
A dozen tallow AoS is well worth it to me if you can keep them somewhere dark and cool. Each puck would be a year's worth of shaves for me at minimum. Given that they are literally off the market (except for that guy on eBay who scooped the last truckload), it's a good investment.

16 1,026