11-07-2017, 11:58 PM
User Info
(11-07-2017, 09:39 AM)Jags009 Wrote:
Quote from Claus:
Only problem is while AOS Tallow puck lasts for several 100 shaves or more, Manuel’s lasts for 30-40 shaves or less.

But it’s not a problem for me though, but for the budget shaver.
End Quote from Claus

May be something to do with the new tallow base or you may be a generally heavy loader Claus.

I have been using Ylang Ylang for more than a year now and is still 40% left in the tub.

I am yet to acquire tallow versions but you have got me thinking on the new soap base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do load the brush quite heavily, and I can see Eufros Tallow shrink as fast as for instance my newer 2016 version Caties Bubbles Lux formula and the newer CRSW Select. These soaps only provide me with 30-40 (give or take) shaves.

I have now used one of my 9 pucks of AOS Sandalwood Tallow for probably 15-20 shaves and to my surprise I can hardly see any indentation in the puck or at least only a minute divot in the puck.

At first I thought the AOS puck would be eaten up faster since it becomes relatively soft when soaked in warm water compared to my other harder pucks, but it seems to return to the solid state quite fast again. I gave a puck away to my father, and he is a one-soap-at-a-time user (I gave him 20-30 soaps, thinking he would enjoy rotating them) and after he has been using the Mike’s Natural Lime all summer and early fall, he started using the AOS Sandalwood Tallow last month, and I took a look at the puck after now 25-30 shaves, and I can hardly see it has been used.

Btw my father says AOS Tallow and Mike’s Natural are pretty much equally great Shaving soaps. I tend to agree with him. Probably the edge goes to Mike’s in Post shave feel, and the edge goes to AOS Tallow in lather creation and lather quality and easiness of the shave, while the edge again goes to Mike’s Natural when I look for slickness/glide - but they are close.

24 6,004
 11-08-2017, 06:15 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-07-2017, 10:04 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 09:19 AM)scritchnscrub Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:11 AM)DudeAbides Wrote: …or better yet once you realize that Valobra tallow is the same thing you will continue your shaving bliss journey

The base is the same but at least in the case of the sandalwood scent, those days are gone at the moment. AoS's current sandalwood scent is not as good. Nothing in fact comes close to their original sandalwood IMHO if you are looking for a mainly sandalwood note. The only product I ever smelled that was better, was QED's Sandalwood which was truly sublime if you are a sandalwood fan. Their soap base was lacking but it didn't stop me from buying the soap to sit on my desk for the sheer pleasure of the scent. Ah well...

I may be in a minority but I prefer the lighter, current AoS Sandalwood scent. In fact when I bought my tallow from the 'bay, I was almost let down given that I think their cream/balm scent is unmatched.

I agree with you, Mike.
I find the current Sandalwood scent much more pleasant and masculine.

62 2,914
 11-08-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
(11-07-2017, 11:58 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 09:39 AM)Jags009 Wrote: —�
Quote from Claus:
Only problem is while AOS Tallow puck lasts for several 100 shaves or more, Manuel’s lasts for 30-40 shaves or less.

But it’s not a problem for me though, but for the budget shaver.
End Quote from Claus
—�

May be something to do with the new tallow base or you may be a generally heavy loader Claus.

I have been using Ylang Ylang for more than a year now and is still 40% left in the tub.

I am yet to acquire tallow versions but you have got me thinking on the new soap base.

I do load the brush quite heavily, and I can see Eufros Tallow shrink as fast as for instance my newer 2016 version Caties Bubbles Lux formula and the newer CRSW Select. These soaps only provide me with 30-40 (give or take) shaves.

I have now used one of my 9 pucks of AOS Sandalwood Tallow for probably 15-20 shaves and to my surprise I can hardly see any indentation in the puck or at least only a minute divot in the puck.

At first I thought the AOS puck would be eaten up faster since it becomes relatively soft when soaked in warm water compared to my other harder pucks, but it seems to return to the solid state quite fast again. I gave a puck away to my father, and he is a one-soap-at-a-time user (I gave him 20-30 soaps, thinking he would enjoy rotating them) and after he has been using the Mike’s Natural Lime all summer and early fall, he started using the AOS Sandalwood Tallow last month, and I took a look at the puck after now 25-30 shaves, and I can hardly see it has been used.

Btw my father says AOS Tallow and Mike’s Natural are pretty much equally great Shaving soaps. I tend to agree with him. Probably the edge goes to Mike’s in Post shave feel, and the edge goes to AOS Tallow in lather creation and lather quality and easiness of the shave, while the edge again goes to Mike’s Natural when I look for slickness/glide - but they are close.

Claus, are you a Mikes Lime fan?

13 523
 11-09-2017, 05:30 AM
User Info
(11-07-2017, 09:32 AM)Nero Wrote: As my stash implies, I'm hedging on being reincarnated Biggrin

That's funny right there!

3 152
 11-09-2017, 06:38 AM
User Info
Always be prepared!   Biggrin

18 1,673
 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
(11-07-2017, 10:04 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I may be in a minority but I prefer the lighter, current AoS Sandalwood scent. In fact when I bought my tallow from the 'bay, I was almost let down given that I think their cream/balm scent is unmatched.
Tallow AoS has a clay-like undertone. OTOH, vintage (pre-P&G) AoS SW cream doesn’t.

0 516
 11-09-2017, 03:57 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-09-2017, 07:24 AM)ask4Edge Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 10:04 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I may be in a minority but I prefer the lighter, current AoS Sandalwood scent. In fact when I bought my tallow from the 'bay, I was almost let down given that I think their cream/balm scent is unmatched.
Tallow AoS has a clay-like undertone. OTOH, vintage (pre-P&G) AoS SW cream doesn’t.

What you say is true. But I think he's referring to the change in the fragrance itself (not the clay scent presence or non-presence).
If you smell the old tallow soap and the new veggie soap, both in Sandalwood, and "discount" the clay scent from the tallow, the remaining scent is very different from that of the current soap.

62 2,914
 11-10-2017, 07:35 AM
User Info
Way I understood it too, but I don’t know whether he’s tried the vintage SW cream for direct comparison (to the current one). 

I could see this ranking of scents:
vintage SW cream > current SW cream > vintage SW puck

The SW fragrance (itself) of the vintage cream is not only without the clay-like heaviness, but is more concentrated, and hence much better showcased (vs that of the vintage puck), ime.

0 516
 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-10-2017, 07:35 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Way I understood it too, but I don’t know whether he’s tried the vintage SW cream for direct comparison (to the current one). 

I could see this ranking of scents:
vintage SW cream > current SW cream > vintage SW puck

The SW fragrance (itself) of the vintage cream is not only without the clay-like heaviness, but is more concentrated, and hence much better showcased (vs that of the vintage puck), ime.

Ahhhh... I see your point now Smile

62 2,914
 11-10-2017, 10:35 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
What's everyone's opinion of the lavender AoS tallow soap? I have a chance to get one but it's  priced a bit more.

7 2,352
 11-10-2017, 11:44 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
It's a pure Lavender essential oil scent, so if you like that then go for it (if you're good with the price).

62 2,914
 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM
User Info
(11-10-2017, 10:35 AM)Mouser Wrote: What's everyone's opinion of the lavender AoS tallow soap? I have a chance to get one but it's  priced a bit more.

Love it.

39 3,935
 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM
User Info
The two I have are not as strongly scented as the Sandalwood. Performance of course is great. I'd say buy it and formulate your own opinion.

4 383
 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(11-10-2017, 11:44 AM)Nero Wrote: It's a pure Lavender essential oil scent, so if you like that then go for it (if you're good with the price).

That answers it,I didn't know if it was a single pure lavender or a blended scent which I have plenty of. And since it comes with a tube of lavender cream as well I'm snarfin' it up.

7 2,352
 11-10-2017, 04:20 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(11-10-2017, 02:09 PM)DudeAbides Wrote: The two I have are not as strongly scented as the Sandalwood. Performance of course is great. I'd say buy it and formulate your own opinion.

I have two of the Sandalwood and mine are anything but strongly scented.

7 2,352
 11-10-2017, 04:25 PM
User Info
Soap scent past their expiration date I suppose

4 383