Yesterday, 08:21 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 07:30 AM)22bulldog Wrote:
(Yesterday, 06:05 AM)primotenore Wrote: I just broke down again...AOS Lavender (Tallow)  Angel

Primo, where did you find this?

Brad, I'm not sure if Joseph bought his there, but there are wooden bowls of Lavender soap available from Italy, on eBay.

31 5,195
 Yesterday, 08:39 AM
User Info
I would like to find some refills without the nauseating tallow smell, but I don't want to risk acquiring exactly this.  Confused

8 1,658
 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 06:05 AM)primotenore Wrote: I just broke down again...AOS Lavender (Tallow)  Angel

They're on Ebay. The seller assured me it's the original tallow formula. Rockmtown

"Hello, we are selling the original version with sodium towelate (sic). Thank you" 

36 3,603
 Yesterday, 10:05 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 08:39 AM)lu20vt Wrote: I would like to find some refills without the nauseating tallow smell, but I don't want to risk acquiring exactly this.  Confused
Not sure the earthy/clay-like undertone is due to saponified tallow, but it's least pronounced in the C&S versions and most in the Unscented ones (unsurprisingly).
(Personally, I don't have an aversion to it, but YMMV obviously.)

0 353
 Yesterday, 10:15 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(Yesterday, 09:36 AM)primotenore Wrote:

They're on Ebay. The seller assured me it's the original tallow formula. Rockmtown

"Hello, we are selling the original version with sodium towelate (sic). Thank you" 
You can distinguish the older tallow version by the stamp on the top of the soap cake.  Old school tallow has just the words, the reformulated versions have an oval imprinted around the words and "New York".... that lavender seller cited doesn't show the imprint ..

41 437
 Yesterday, 10:21 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 10:15 AM)garyg Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:36 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(Yesterday, 07:30 AM)22bulldog Wrote: Primo, where did you find this?

You can distinguish the older tallow version by the stamp on the top of the soap cake.  Old school tallow has just the words, the reformulated versions have an oval imprinted around the words .... that lavender seller cited doesn't show the imprint ..
Exactly why I specifically asked what the first ingredient listed was.

36 3,603
 Yesterday, 11:14 AM
User Info
What's funny is a buddy of mine messaged me yesterday and told me he snagged NOS lavender. Guess the eBay seller.... 

rocknmtown 

So when you guys brought him up in this very thread and knowing the community, I just placed an order, 2min ago. The only other seller I found was out of Italy like Optometrist pointed out. That on top of Tabac, MdC, and the litany of artisans, I think I'm good.

0 30
 Yesterday, 11:29 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(Yesterday, 10:21 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:15 AM)garyg Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:36 AM)primotenore Wrote: They're on Ebay. The seller assured me it's the original tallow formula. Rockmtown

You can distinguish the older tallow version by the stamp on the top of the soap cake.  Old school tallow has just the words, the reformulated versions have an oval imprinted around the words .... that lavender seller cited doesn't show the imprint ..

Curious that when I asked them for a picture of the actual soap I got not a pic, but verbatim the same presumably canned answer that you quoted, even though I didn't mention ingredients when I asked ...   If it wasn't the old stuff when it showed up, you'd have to go through the hassle of returning it & hoping someday for a refund.

41 437
 Yesterday, 12:21 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 11:29 AM)garyg Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:21 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:15 AM)garyg Wrote: You can distinguish the older tallow version by the stamp on the top of the soap cake.  Old school tallow has just the words, the reformulated versions have an oval imprinted around the words .... that lavender seller cited doesn't show the imprint ..

Curious that when I asked them for a picture of the actual soap I got not a pic, but verbatim the same presumably canned answer that you quoted, even though I didn't mention ingredients when I asked ...   If it wasn't the old stuff when it showed up, you'd have to go through the hassle of returning it & hoping someday for a refund.
Normally this would raise a red flag. But if you take a second and look at his feedback. 100% over 11,000 pfb. I am feeling pretty good about this one.

36 3,603
 Yesterday, 01:08 PM
User Info
There's another difference between the packaging Vintage vs. New Formula:
Vintage (Ebay Picture)

[Image: MgkBnRE.jpg]

New Formula (Picture directly from AOS Website)
[Image: WtHT7ma.jpg]

36 3,603
 Yesterday, 01:16 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 11:14 AM)elRook Wrote: What's funny is a buddy of mine messaged me yesterday and told me he snagged NOS lavender. Guess the eBay seller.... 

rocknmtown 

So when you guys brought him up in this very thread and knowing the community, I just placed an order, 2min ago. The only other seller I found was out of Italy like Optometrist pointed out. That on top of Tabac, MdC, and the litany of artisans, I think I'm good.
Me too.

36 3,603
 Yesterday, 05:01 PM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 07:37 PM)elRook Wrote: I get you guys "with years under your belt in the forum,"  know this about Valobra. However in regards to the OP, "I've only heard a few snatches here and there about it," and "Does anyone here have any experience with it and if so what do you think of it?" kind of seems like information worth mentioning, as again it hadn't been brought up in previous pages. 

So I'm going to be honest here, your response seems a bit holier than thou.

I'm a Tallow soap guy at heart, Tabac being my only soap and Base-line for ~35 years, and used by my Paternal grandfather.  AOS Tallow by far Superior in overall performance to any current production Tallow soap I've used, I always consider scent a bonus.  My last AOS Tallow lather was with a Simpson Best 48/23.5, within 6-8 swirls on a very damp brush & dry puck, I face lathered and had enough slick and cushioned lather for three passes.  The post shave face feel is silky & soft.  Though I've never been hot for Sandalwood, this scent is addicting, not over-powering and enjoyable any time of year.

It's definitely worth the price for a puck of Sandalwood, $25 for the lemon is a bit much unless you really like lemon... I own 2 unscented & 2 Sandalwood, all scored, dampened and alternately pressed together in an 8oz ceramic mortar bowl.

1 152
 Yesterday, 05:54 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 05:01 PM)TommyGuns59 Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 07:37 PM)elRook Wrote: I get you guys "with years under your belt in the forum,"  know this about Valobra. However in regards to the OP, "I've only heard a few snatches here and there about it," and "Does anyone here have any experience with it and if so what do you think of it?" kind of seems like information worth mentioning, as again it hadn't been brought up in previous pages. 

I'm a Tallow soap guy at heart, Tabac being my only soap and Base-line for ~35 years, and used by my Paternal grandfather.  AOS Tallow by far Superior in overall performance to any current production Tallow soap I've used, I always consider scent a bonus.  My last AOS Tallow lather was with a Simpson Best 48/23.5, within 6-8 swirls on a very damp brush & dry puck, I face lathered and had enough slick and cushioned lather for three passes.  The post shave face feel is silky & soft.  Though I've never been hot for Sandalwood, this scent is addicting, not over-powering and enjoyable any time of year.

It's definitely worth the price for a puck of Sandalwood, $25 for the lemon is a bit much unless you really like lemon... I own 2 unscented & 2 Sandalwood, all scored, dampened and alternately pressed together in an 8oz ceramic mortar bowl.
I can see why you might say that, but the seller will accept $23 and ships for free. Considering that AOS charges $30 for a refill puck of the bad formula, I think it's still a GREAT deal.

36 3,603
 Today, 01:16 AM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 07:37 PM)elRook Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 05:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 03:06 PM)elRook Wrote: I feel as though you guys think I implied they were the same. I understand it differs from Valobra branded soaps, but being made by them still implies and has proven to be of great quality. It makes sense why people continue to get NOS, and why their current line-up is highly regarded. They're a quality brand and wouldn't put their name on an inferior product, that's all I was getting at.

Us guys with years under our belt in the forum know very well AOS Tallow is made by Valobra. Valobra also makes both Czech & Speak soaps. All tallow  soaps made by Valobra are excellent.

I get you guys "with years under your belt in the forum,"  know this about Valobra. However in regards to the OP, "I've only heard a few snatches here and there about it," and "Does anyone here have any experience with it and if so what do you think of it?" kind of seems like information worth mentioning, as again it hadn't been brought up in previous pages. 

Wasn't meant to provoke you at all.

If I did, please accept my apology.

It's not worth getting into heated discussions over soaps, creams or how much experience one has over the other on a shaving forum.

Just not worth it

24 5,621
 Today, 01:31 AM
User Info
Anyone who can provide a direct link to the Italian seller of the AOS Tallow lavender and lemon hard shaving soaps ?

I only own one Lemon and no lavender. Looking to stock up. But if price is too steep I'll buy another 3 pack of the Sandalwood Tallow.

Thanks.

24 5,621
 Today, 01:58 AM
User Info
(Today, 01:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Anyone who can provide a direct link to the Italian seller of the AOS Tallow lavender and lemon hard shaving soaps ?

I only own one Lemon and no lavender. Looking to stock up. But if price is too steep I'll buy another 3 pack of the Sandalwood Tallow.

Thanks.

PM sent, Claus. Smile

31 5,195
 11 hours ago
User Info
Just landed...
[Image: Z7Rjyks.jpg]
[Image: wb2z9Ah.jpg]
I am good with lemon for a while.  Biggrin

36 3,603
 9 hours ago
User Info
(11 hours ago)primotenore Wrote: Just landed...
[Image: Z7Rjyks.jpg]
[Image: wb2z9Ah.jpg]
I am good with lemon for a while.  Biggrin

When you see the ingredient "Zea Mays (Corn)Oil" listed, it's another way of knowing its a Valobra made soap, as Valobra's own hard soap has this ingredient.  I've never seen it described this way in any other soap FWIW.

11 921
 7 hours ago
User Info
(Yesterday, 05:54 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(Yesterday, 05:01 PM)TommyGuns59 Wrote: I'm a Tallow soap guy at heart, Tabac being my only soap and Base-line for ~35 years, and used by my Paternal grandfather.  AOS Tallow by far Superior in overall performance to any current production Tallow soap I've used, I always consider scent a bonus.  My last AOS Tallow lather was with a Simpson Best 48/23.5, within 6-8 swirls on a very damp brush & dry puck, I face lathered and had enough slick and cushioned lather for three passes.  The post shave face feel is silky & soft.  Though I've never been hot for Sandalwood, this scent is addicting, not over-powering and enjoyable any time of year.

I can see why you might say that, but the seller will accept $23 and ships for free. Considering that AOS charges $30 for a refill puck of the bad formula, I think it's still a GREAT deal.

I agree completely, I'm just spoiled by the price of the Sandalwood & unscented tallow pucks I bought.  I did pick up an AOS Lemon Tallow  with a few other AOS pucks ~8 months ago from the SN Classies, and sent it to my friend in NC.  He loves the AOS Lemon SC and I thought I'd surprise him, needless to say, he loves the Lemon scent & performance.

If I didn't have 25 shave sticks, 9 tubs of soft soap, not to mention my creams, except the AOS Rose Heart , I'd buy a few more AOS pucks.  I may anyway, I'm sure my 9 y/o wouldn't mind Sisi1

1 152
 4 hours ago
User Info
The lavender is know where near the ground breaking scent of Sandalwood in my opinion, it's disappointing if you ask me considering what's out there these days. The performance is, well…we all know the performance of AoS tallow.

~Royce

4 367