04-15-2017, 09:36 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Received my new Everset R2 today, so I took it for a spin. The only one left when I ordered was the smallest of the three sizes (24mm), and I was a little worried, as the pictures made it look to me like the knot was too small for the handle. But I pulled the trigger, knowing that Aldo is a stickler for details--I was sure it would be a fine brush.

Aldo includes very detailed instructions on care of the brush, including breaking it in, so I followed his instructions (soak the brush and then shampoo it a couple of times). I then lathered up using SMN and had a great shave with a Wolfman. The brush is on the small side for me, but lathered like a champ. It lost 4-5 hairs as would be expected. I like the balance of the knot/handle better after it bloomed. The handle is quite ergonomic and I enjoy the retro look of the lettering Aldo chose--it is nicely finished and polished. All in all, a very nice addition to my brush collection. It's nice to have so many great choices of brushes among quality vendors. Now I can wait for my Varlet Mega that is on order via the waiting list!
 [Image: efNHSce.jpg][Image: 0Tjxr5L.jpg]

60 843
 04-17-2017, 05:47 AM
User Info
I'll post pics later today when I get home. I also would like to share some feedback.
I had a second shave today with the U2 using XPEC. Just like the first shave, it was a pure pleasure. VERY soft tips and excellent splay. Flow through was fantastic. Brush felt like a pillow on the face, absolutely no feeling of scrub or scritch... just pure softness. The knot opens up nicely, it felt more like a 26mm than 25.
Like all Varlets I've tried, there is no glue bump which is something I really welcome.
I palm lathered the brush 3 times before first use and it lost about 8-10 hairs. Nothing I was concerned about. Second shave lost 1 hair. I presume this is normal and a no issue.
The handle is very nice in use. The curves, girth and length provide for a good handle and comfortable experience. I have to say the labeling is very well done and has a nice shine to it.

As mentioned above, the care instructions are very detailed and nice to have. I never received such details from any brush maker.
Well done Aldo!!
Will post detailed pics of the tips later - I wanna say they are golden and look natural but I am no expert. I'll post pics and hopefully the more experienced members here can provide feedback.

There isn't a whole lot I don't like about the brush but the knot didn't seem perfectly symmetrical out of the box however after blooming it looked totally fine. I am also not a huge fan of the ivory slate shade, i prefer the yellowish ivory shade of Simpson, Rooney, M&F etc... this is a bit whitish than yellow. Minor detail imo and has no effect on the shave!

Stay tuned for pics

13 775
 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-17-2017, 05:47 AM)snowman Wrote: I'll post pics later today when I get home. I also would like to share some feedback.
I had a second shave today with the U2 using XPEC. Just like the first shave, it was a pure pleasure. VERY soft tips and excellent splay. Flow through was fantastic. Brush felt like a pillow on the face, absolutely no feeling of scrub or scritch... just pure softness. The knot opens up nicely, it felt more like a 26mm than 25.
Like all Varlets I've tried, there is no glue bump which is something I really welcome.
I palm lathered the brush 3 times before first use and it lost about 8-10 hairs. Nothing I was concerned about. Second shave lost 1 hair. I presume this is normal and a no issue.
The handle is very nice in use. The curves, girth and length provide for a good handle and comfortable experience. I have to say the labeling is very well done and has a nice shine to it.

As mentioned above, the care instructions are very detailed and nice to have. I never received such details from any brush maker.
Well done Aldo!!
Will post detailed pics of the tips later - I wanna say they are golden and look natural but I am no expert. I'll post pics and hopefully the more experienced members here can provide feedback.

There isn't a whole lot I don't like about the brush but the knot didn't seem perfectly symmetrical out of the box however after blooming it looked totally fine. I am also not a huge fan of the ivory slate shade, i prefer the yellowish ivory shade of Simpson, Rooney, M&F etc... this is a bit whitish than yellow. Minor detail imo and has no effect on the shave!

I agree that it "plays" bigger than it is--my 24mm does seem a little larger (which is a good thing, to me). Very soft, but dense with plenty of backbone. I would like to try a larger one for comparison. I probably would have ordered an ivory one, had they been available, but I am very happy with black. It is very attractive brush.

60 843
 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Here's my K2.  It's a very nice brush with soft tips, excellent flow thru and just the right back bone.  I think it would be hard for me to find any fault with it.  I'm very please to say the least.  
[Image: jJN8Xca.jpg]

45 622
 04-18-2017, 06:21 PM
  • Aldo
  • Default User Title
User Info
(04-18-2017, 03:31 PM)ddk13 Wrote: Here's my K2.  It's a very nice brush with soft tips, excellent flow thru and just the right back bone.  I think it would be hard for me to find any fault with it.  I'm very please to say the least.  
[Image: jJN8Xca.jpg]

Thank you, sir, and quite flattering to be included in that line-up.

2 93
 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-18-2017, 03:31 PM)ddk13 Wrote: Here's my K2.  It's a very nice brush with soft tips, excellent flow thru and just the right back bone.  I think it would be hard for me to find any fault with it.  I'm very please to say the least. 

That's a beauty, Dave. And in some very fine company!

60 843
 04-19-2017, 04:24 PM
User Info
Received my Everset K2 on Monday, Here is a PRE-Bloom, as well as a POST-Bloom Photo.
Note: I also comb my brushes after a shave.
Here are my measurements with my Starrett Dial-Caliper, upon arrival (Slightly larger knot measurements after 'bloom'):

Knot: 29.2mm x 51.5mm Loft
Handle: 51.2mm x 43.1mm (top/widest) x 42.6mm at Base (Measurements were the SAME Post Bloom Smile

Overall: 104.3mm

[Image: E8mfVQB.jpg][Image: oPKyBrq.jpg]

48 414
 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM
User Info
(04-19-2017, 04:24 PM)akbkr23 Wrote: Received my Everset K2 on Monday, Here is a PRE-Bloom, as well as a POST-Bloom Photo.
Note: I also comb my brushes after a shave.
Here are my measurements with my Starrett Dial-Caliper, upon arrival (Slightly larger knot measurements after 'bloom'):

Knot: 29.2mm x 51.5mm Loft
Handle: 51.2mm x 43.1mm (top/widest) x 42.6mm at Base (Measurements were the SAME Post Bloom Smile

Overall: 104.3mm

[Image: E8mfVQB.jpg][Image: oPKyBrq.jpg]

I like those knot measurements for a fan, and it looks like a nicely shaped knot.

50 6,115
 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM
User Info
Just palm lathered the R2 and it's on deck for tomorrow's shave. 4 palm lathers with SdM. I can already tell this is going to be an outstanding brush. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave with it. I tried to capture the tips of the brush to the best of my ability.. very nice golden color
[Image: 8e761a2af93befd4d73cb5b7fe842299.jpg]
[Image: 114dc510014b27e5347c01e4301faf4b.jpg]

Post bloom pics

[Image: 8e32848e169b7eb77414a6425e3ea671.jpg]

[Image: f0507145993264eef9002a7ece5bf397.jpg]

As you can see it's a perfectly shaped knot. More on this brush after the shave

13 775