04-16-2017, 02:35 PM
User Info
What is the difference in performance between animal or tallow based soaps and vegetable based soaps? Which will soften my facial hairs best and bring the most moisture to my whiskers? I'm just beginning to use EShave soap and am pleased so far. It is a triple-milled vegetable based soap, and it seems to lather well on my face with my Da Vinci silver-tipped badger brush. But I'm new to this and need guidance. I'm looking for the most effective shave soap, preferably in a lavender scent.

0 8
 04-16-2017, 04:08 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
There are many top performing soaps on both ends of the spectrum. The only way you'll know what performs best for you is to try it. On the veg side I give a big thumbs up to Nuavia. It is seriously good soap and perhaps the only veg soap where I could have used no post shave product. On the animal/tallow side I'm a huge fan of L&L and Tallow & Steel, although T&S is difficult to find right now (they are transitioning to a new formula using tallow but no lanolin). The post shave feel with T&S is the best I've experienced and the soap performance is awesome. Overall, I tend to get better post shave feel with tallow based soaps.

I also really like SMN V3, saponificio varesino (especially good post shave feel), CRSW (Lavish is lavender) B&M, Castle Forbes (makes a really nice lavender!) and Chiseled Face.

I think many of us are still trying to find our holy grail soaps. Enjoy the journey! Biggrin

Eric

49 986
 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Eric has it right. Personally, I don't even notice whether a soap is tallow or veggie before I buy. I have many great ones of both variety, including most of what Eric mentioned. For example, Nuavia and T+S are two of my best soaps also but, until I read his post, I'd forgotten which was which (assuming I once knew at all).

6 385
 04-16-2017, 06:58 PM
User Info
IME they major difference is in the density of the lather, tallow seems a bit denser, top-tier Veggies are fantastic performers and I enjoyed Valobra Almond brick very much.  I prefer tallow soaps, but the Valobra Almond is always a welcome member of my den.

1 181
 04-16-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
(04-16-2017, 04:08 PM)EricM Wrote: There are many top performing soaps on both ends of the spectrum. The only way you'll know what performs best for you is to try it. On the veg side I give a big thumbs up to Nuavia. It is seriously good soap and perhaps the only veg soap where I could have used no post shave product. On the animal/tallow side I'm a huge fan of L&L and Tallow & Steel, although T&S is difficult to find right now (they are transitioning to a new formula using tallow but no lanolin). The post shave feel with T&S is the best I've experienced and the soap performance is awesome. Overall, I tend to get better post shave feel with tallow based soaps.

I also really like SMN V3, saponificio varesino (especially good post shave feel), CRSW (Lavish is lavender) B&M, Castle Forbes (makes a really nice lavender!) and Chiseled Face.

I think many of us are still trying to find our holy grail soaps. Enjoy the journey! Biggrin

Eric

Thank you all for your replies and guidance. I'm going to search for some Tallow and Steel, although their removing lanolin from it couldn't be an improvement. Has anyone ever tried or have knowledge of Eshave soaps?

0 8
 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM
User Info
Thank you all for your replies and guidance. As you can probably tell, I am new to this site. You are correct about Tallow and Steel being difficult to locate, as in I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any knowledge of or experience with EShave soaps?

0 8
 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM
User Info
Both will do it... tallow and steel is awesome stuff but that product isnt around anymore, so I can't really recommend that until I try his newest stuff. Midnight & Two is vegan but don't let that fool you its seriously one of the best soaps on the market, post shave feel is awesome, tons of slickness, all natural and scents are great. CRSW new stuff is great too, those three imho are the best soaps I've found. I wouldn't really put too much stock in it being tallow or not, there's great tallow soaps and there's crap same with vegan based. If you want Lavender scent my personal favourite comes from Midnight & Two, called the Provence all essential oil based, I hear the new CRSW lavender is a winner too, Larry knows how to make soap smell great.

2 465
 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM
User Info
In 2016 we had a long thread and poll on "tallow v. vegan" soaps.  You'll find the comments interesting and informative.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ght=tallow

We also discussed the "tallow v. vegan" issue in this thread in 2015.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ght=tallow

You're in the right place if you want expertise and opinions on soaps.

50 6,404
 04-16-2017, 08:24 PM
User Info
(04-16-2017, 04:08 PM)EricM Wrote: There are many top performing soaps on both ends of the spectrum. The only way you'll know what performs best for you is to try it. On the veg side I give a big thumbs up to Nuavia. It is seriously good soap and perhaps the only veg soap where I could have used no post shave product. On the animal/tallow side I'm a huge fan of L&L and Tallow & Steel, although T&S is difficult to find right now (they are transitioning to a new formula using tallow but no lanolin). The post shave feel with T&S is the best I've experienced and the soap performance is awesome. Overall, I tend to get better post shave feel with tallow based soaps.

Eric

You really got to try try Midnight & Two... I love Tallow & Steel and used their classic today! but if you found their post shave feel to be the best M&2 will challenge that.

2 465
 04-17-2017, 04:13 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(04-16-2017, 08:24 PM)iShave Wrote:

Eric

You really got to try try Midnight & Two... I love Tallow & Steel and used their classic today! but if you found their post shave feel to be the best M&2 will challenge that.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never tried M&2. I'll need to find some. Smile. I used T&S Rainforest today... so damn good!!!

Eric

49 986