04-16-2017, 03:53 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I haven't seen to much mentioned about these razors. So how are the ones who got one liking or disliking them? Thanks

5 527
 04-16-2017, 06:47 PM
User Info
 04-16-2017, 09:06 PM
User Info
It's one of the great SE razor , nicely machined brass with well balanced weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 257
 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM
User Info
A bit heavy for my taste, but it competes with the Oneblade for ease of DFS.

0 31
 04-16-2017, 11:46 PM
User Info
The brass General is the same dimensions as the aluminum version so the shave is quite similar and this is a Good Thing.

At 4.6 ounces it feels very solid in the hand. Anyone who liked the aluminum General but was put off by its light weight is going to love this model.

It's rapidly becoming a favorite.

--Bob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

0 185
 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I like heavier razors. To began with I have been using small razors (Gillette's) starting in 1961 and never liked the aluminum razors that were offered through the years. I like a heavier razor (80 to 125 grams) I don't have to apply much pressure and I can feel the razor so i can maneuver/control it better.

I really like the Brass General it's a simple blade load, it is a clean attractive design, I like the brass and it shaves beautifully with the right blade.  I was using as my daily shave these last months the RX with a guard blade and the ATT SE1 with a Kia Mild and Feather Pro, with a good soap I don't have to think I get good to excellent shaves, no irritation, no weepers. The General with a Feather Super and a good soap I've been getting great shaves, no irritation, no weepers. I couldn't be any happier. The Brass General is a nice razor.

P.S. I did change out the handle to a brass aristocrat 90 x 14

[Image: Ktf6ban.jpg]

51 432
 04-20-2017, 07:40 PM
User Info
I think brass General is mild than regular general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 257
 04-22-2017, 03:15 PM
User Info
Charcoal Goods did a run of brass handles that can accommodate a tritium vial. I wanted to try a lighter handle on my Colonial General. The weight is nice but I won't know how it shaves until tomorrow. It's definitely an unusual profile. Now I'm waiting for the tritium vials to arrive, a green and an orange.

This may be my most far out shaving piece yet!
[Image: LtGgwep.jpg]

10 1,665
 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM
User Info
Where does the tritium vial come from?  Do it just pop in place?  Haven't seen anything like this before.  Please post some pictures once the vial is installed.

50 6,049
 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 03:26 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Where does the tritium vial come from?  Do it just pop in place?  Haven't seen anything like this before.  Please post some pictures once the vial is installed.
The vials come from a different source than the handle.  There is a small set screw in the base, and a spring inside the handle to hold the vial in place.

10 1,665
 04-22-2017, 06:19 PM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 03:15 PM)number six Wrote: Charcoal Goods did a run of brass handles that can accommodate a tritium vial. I wanted to try a lighter handle on my Colonial General. The weight is nice but I won't know how it shaves until tomorrow. It's definitely an unusual profile. Now I'm waiting for the tritium vials to arrive, a green and an orange.

This may be my most far out shaving piece yet!
[Image: LtGgwep.jpg]

Now that's just cool!  can't wait to see pics!

17 1,408
 04-24-2017, 01:41 PM
User Info
The Brass General shaves just like the aluminum General (VERY mild but efficient), so I think the gains are the additional weight, material preference, patina ability and possibly more durability. I use either General with a Super Pro, no worries about nicks or bites. I lean towards the aluminum because I like zipping around quickly with the light aluminum and also like the slightly flared handle of the aluminum over the straight brass handle. Either one is great, no worries.

1 115
 04-24-2017, 01:59 PM
User Info
The General's blade setup is impressive and my brass version hasn't met a blade it didn't like, even blades that don't treat me well in other SEs.  I don't find it mild per se, just very, very smooth and efficient.  I actually prefer the added heft of the brass version but both are fine shavers.  Very impressive!

73 4,303
 04-26-2017, 02:18 AM
User Info
Mine, loads the blade a bit more securely than the aluminium, aluminum version. Due to heft I feel it a bit more aggressive than the V1 in alu.
I always enjoyed shaving with the V1, but the new brass one is going on the rotation. I love it. I'll be looking for a different same weight brass handle as the one it came with does not inspire me.

0 283
 04-28-2017, 04:51 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I am enjoying both the brass and aluminum paired with Triad Handles. I prefer a medium to lighter weight razor but could not resist trying the brass version. I feel they provide similar end of shave results using a feather pro. I do have to be mindful of the brass and it's additional weight while shavingSmile.         
[Image: MsgvMUl.jpg]

59 4,486
 05-30-2017, 01:37 PM
User Info
Little box waiting at the kitchen table today. A few days late, but well worth it. Regardless of shave, I have no regrets on purchasing it. A true beauty!  First shave coming up.... Love
[Image: 5HPCtJE.jpg]

1 118
 05-30-2017, 05:38 PM
User Info
It is a great razor. It has become my favorite. I find it shaves similar to the ATT SE. I just love the looks of the brass. I may just sell all my other razors that's how much I like this one. The handle is a bit plain. I have ordered another brass handle for it. The original handle does look slick. 

[Image: pktUsyp.jpg]

5 1,537
 05-31-2017, 02:31 AM
User Info
A very nice shave yesterday evening with the eye pleasing and simple but elegant Brass General. Mild but very efficient and ultra smooth paired with a Feather Pro.  Also as quiet a shave as I have experienced. Barely any audible feedback, which threw me for a bit. As I had to make sure it was cutting a couple times. But cut it did and was very impressed by it. Good heft and balance, yet heavier than my Rx which was surprising. The Rx being s/s and all. But a member on another forum stated that brass is heavier than stainless as a metal. Had no issues with the handle slipping in my hands, lather and all. Solid BBS shave first time out. A keeper for sure, and in my eyes an instant modern classic....

1 118
 06-03-2017, 03:53 AM
User Info
On Facebook, the owner of Colonial posted that this batch of brass Generals will be the last, no reason given.

1 115
 06-03-2017, 04:41 AM
User Info
(06-03-2017, 03:53 AM)TripleG Wrote: On Facebook, the owner of Colonial posted that this batch of brass Generals will be the last, no reason given.

That's too bad because it is a very unique razor. It's the only modern brass razor I know of.

5 1,537