04-17-2017, 07:06 AM
User Info
Extreme experiment!

I have this friend called Kenneth. He is a cargo ship captain and lives in a sailboat. I went there the other day to present him with some shaving stuff. He has been bald since his early twenties and the little hair that remains he is very strict in removing it constantly. He is always bbs.

While we talked shaving he gave me the strangest shaving tip. It was given to him by his grandpa Avillo, a WWII veteran. The tip is this: after shaving with hot towel and hot water, to have some water with ice cubes about, so you can use it for your last rinse. It supposedly closes the pores and eliminates or reduced irritation/burn.

Well, i kept it there in the back of my mind for some time, and tried it. I shaved my head with the Asylum Rx and a Feather super pro. A nice combo until i tried Kai, but that is another thread...

To make a long story short, i rinsed my head with warm water, and then with ice cold water. It was a numbing experience. To give it a try i used 91% rubbing alcohol as an after shave. There was zero alcohol burn. Zero. The pores were totally closed. The skin felt tight as a drum.

Not a bad experience.

Am i advocating its practice? No. Its too much of a hassle. Its just a fun experiment that i think its worth to try at least for once.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 04-17-2017, 07:53 AM
User Info
I use ice water exclusively during my shave - before, during, and after. Vastly superior imo.

54 1,214
 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM
User Info
I use cold tap water after my shave, and before the witch hazel.  It's not ice cold, but it has some of the same effect.  Also, some barbers will use a cold towel after a shave, and before the aftershave.

50 6,424
 04-17-2017, 08:03 AM
User Info
Cold (tap) water for me.  Plus, alcohol-based aftershaves close the pores, some more than others.

73 4,338
 04-17-2017, 09:28 AM
User Info
It feels good, especially in the hot weather. You might also put a moist towel in a plastic bag in the freezer, take it out before you shower and shave, and by the time you're ready for it, it's ready to go-and a lot less messy than ice cubes and water.

24 662
 04-17-2017, 09:32 AM
User Info
I always rinse in cold tap water, too.  Feels good after a close shave.

0 177
 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
Cold tap water after the 3rd(and last)pass has always worked for me.

0 204
 04-17-2017, 01:04 PM
User Info
There are no pores in human skin that open and close. Plants have them and if I remember correctly they're called stoma. I could be wrong about that word but not about the rest.

I've done enough forced cold shaves. As long as  I breathe and have the capability, cold water will not get anywhere near my shave. If I don't have warm or hot water I'll grow a beard.

32 6,470
 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM
User Info
I rinse my face with hot water between passes, when done shaving wash my face with cold water, leave the water on the face, add little bit of witch hazel mixed Roses and Lavender, then little bit of one of the 4  Pinnauds I have, then Nivea balm. Trying out some new stuff so why not use all of them in small amount after every shave.

0 212
 04-17-2017, 03:36 PM
User Info
(04-17-2017, 01:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: There are no pores in human skin that open and close. Plants have them and if I remember correctly they're called stoma. I could be wrong about that word but not about the rest.

I've done enough forced cold shaves. As long as  I breathe and have the capability, cold water will not get anywhere near my shave. If I don't have warm or hot water I'll grow a beard.

Why then there is no alcohol burn with 91% rubbing alcohol as an aftershave? The ice cold water made a difference.

0 479
 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
Ok. Most of you use cold tap water. I understand. The experiment is not that extreme. Jeje.

Cold water from the tap in the caribbean is about 78 degrees. That would be hot for most of you. :-/

0 479
 04-17-2017, 03:39 PM
User Info
(04-17-2017, 09:28 AM)Michael P Wrote: It feels good, especially in the hot weather. You might also put a moist towel in a plastic bag in the freezer, take it out before you shower and shave, and by the time you're ready for it, it's ready to go-and a lot less messy than ice cubes and water.

Dear Mike;

I will be trying this. Thanx tons.

Best regards,

Pp

0 479
 04-17-2017, 04:27 PM
User Info
Warm water rinse to get rid of the soap, followed by a cold water rinse. Then witch hazel, aftershave, balm, whatever.

29 1,207
 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM
User Info
(04-17-2017, 03:36 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(04-17-2017, 01:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: There are no pores in human skin that open and close. Plants have them and if I remember correctly they're called stoma. I could be wrong about that word but not about the rest.

Why then there is no alcohol burn with 91% rubbing alcohol as an aftershave? The ice cold water made a difference.

Is it possible that the cold water numbs your nerves? Living where I do, my face often gets so cold in winter I pretty much can't feel anything at all...

3 4,674
 04-18-2017, 03:57 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I used ice water today and it was very refreshing. I'll need to try it with Cryogen. Smile

49 990