11-02-2017, 02:50 PM
User Info
(10-30-2017, 01:48 PM)chiefthunder Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 01:37 PM)cessnabird Wrote: This beauty arrived today, just in time for Halloween! Now to get it home and prep it for a spooky shave. Thanks Ken and Cody for this special project.

[Image: 1hgQmGK.jpg]

[Image: 28yZXCy.jpg]

Awesome, congrats!
Cool  Firedevil

2 246
 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM
User Info
Dang! Bummed I missed out on these Halloween themed brushes. Would have definitely picked one up!

0 48
 11-04-2017, 05:49 AM
User Info
(11-03-2017, 07:03 PM)Ajaccio Wrote: Dang! Bummed I missed out on these Halloween themed brushes. Would have definitely picked one up!

There were only seven. I didn't know about them before the day I posted photos on Facebook and Twitter. That wasn't intended to be a release but turned into a spot-sale. I offered them in order to those who asked for one

3 1,023
 11-08-2017, 12:12 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(11-04-2017, 05:49 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:03 PM)Ajaccio Wrote: Dang! Bummed I missed out on these Halloween themed brushes. Would have definitely picked one up!

There were only seven. I didn't know about them before the day I posted photos on Facebook and Twitter. That wasn't intended to be a release but turned into a spot-sale. I offered them in order to those who asked for one
They are gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,517
 11-09-2017, 04:32 PM
User Info
Here is a photo of my Paladin family. The lapis Falstaff is a 2CLSD knot. The Chief is the youngest brush and it has a 2CSLE knot. The Moe is the oldest brush, yet it is my most recent acquisition. It has a 2CLNA knot and the original owner says he never used it. The Moe and Falstaff are both numbered 001.

[Image: U0R6Dqr.jpg]

2 246
 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
How do you like them? Have you notice a difference in the feel of the knots and fan vs hybrid?

51 457
 11-09-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
(11-09-2017, 04:35 PM)bijou Wrote: How do you like them? Have you notice a difference in the feel of the knots and fan vs hybrid?
The Lapis Falstaff 2CSLD is my favorite brush in a collection that includes a Chubby 2, M&F/Sears finest, SOC boar, Elite Manchurian White, Zenith Manchurian, Thater 4125, a Shavemac D01, and one Maggard synth. The Chief is almost the same even though it is a bulb hybrid. The tips are just a little less gel like. I haven't used the Moe yet. It is on deck for tomorrow's shave.

2 246
 11-09-2017, 07:18 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(11-09-2017, 04:48 PM)Puma Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 04:35 PM)bijou Wrote: How do you like them? Have you notice a difference in the feel of the knots and fan vs hybrid?
The Lapis Falstaff 2CSLD is my favorite brush in a collection that includes a Chubby 2, M&F/Sears finest, SOC boar, Elite Manchurian White, Zenith Manchurian, Thater 4125, a Shavemac D01, and one Maggard synth. The Chief is almost the same even though it is a bulb hybrid. The tips are just a little less gel like. I haven't used the Moe yet. It is on deck for tomorrow's shave.
Your Lapis s a very nice brush, that perticular knot has good backbone, keep note of both loft measurments that's the key that gives you the charactistics you like. The knot on your Chief is the same as the Lapis I would suspect that the lofts maybe different, I found that the tips on the LE4 enitally had some presence after 6-8xs used the tips soften up to be like the LD4. Please write your opinion on the Moe after a few shaves. Great brushes, alll the best.

51 457
 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM
User Info
(11-09-2017, 07:18 PM)bijou Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 04:48 PM)Puma Wrote:
Your Lapis s a very nice brush, that perticular knot has good backbone, keep note of both loft measurments that's the key that gives you the charactistics you like. The knot on your Chief is the same as the Lapis I would suspect that the lofts maybe different, I found that the tips on the LE4 enitally had some presence after 6-8xs used the tips soften up to be like the LD4. Please write your opinion on the Moe after a few shaves. Great brushes, alll the best.

I used the Moe today. You can definitely tell it is a Paladin. The Falstaff 2CSLD4 and Chief 2CSLE4 were made by the same people who made the Moe's 2CLNA4 and you can tell that they all have similar density, but the CSL's were made with hair from the supplier of Paladin's 2CS knots. That is all from Paladin's knot notes on their web-site. I would say that the Falstaff has the most backbone and the softest tips. The tips are extremely gel-like. They are soft with no scritch or scratch, and they dry in big sharp clumps. Its loft is 51.5 with 48mm of free loft. The Chief's hair feels similar. Definitely not as gel-like and maybe with a little more presence (defined by Ken as a feeling of the individual hairs), but still a lot like the CSLD. There is more loft at 52.75, but with the same 48mm of free loft. The hairs move around a little more and it feels like there might be a bit less density than the Falstaff. That extra loft and the more bulbish shape could cause that softer overall feeling even though the tips are not quite as soft. Now to the Moe. Loft is 52, right between the other two, but the free loft is the tallest at 51mm. The 2CLNA hair is from a different supplier and it seems more flexible and springy, still with nice soft tips. The tips are not as soft as those on the Falstaff, they feel very similar to those on the Chief. The hairs might be from a different supplier, but the knot was made by the same producer of the CSL knots and the quality of the shape and the density is consistent on all three brushes. It is possible that the Falstaff's 2CSLD knot is slightly more dense than the others, but they are all close. It seems to me that the three knots are much more similar than different. They are definitely identifiable as Paladins. You can tell that they are made by the same people. If any could be called a black sheep it might be the Falstaff's 2CSLD4. Just slightly more dense than the other two, its density, backbone, and flow-through are close to its siblings, but those gel tips are a more extreme example and while all three are special brushes, being Paladins, the 2CSLD is the best of the best. 

I should mention handles. All are beautiful. Ken's ivory needs to be seen in person. It has a wonderful marble-like look to it. The lapis is deep and dark. All are shiny and smooth. It is hard to pick a favorite, but the Moe really feels right in my hand with its deep convex shape. That shape, according to Paladin, is the same as the convex section of their PK-47 handle (number 4 maybe?). The Chief is also very comfortable. The lower ball part of the handle feels nice in my palm. The Falstaff is like a Chubby or 2XL and feels best to me when gripped with my fingertips.

2 246
 11-12-2017, 07:51 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Thanks for writting your review it's very well done. The chief should soften up in about 8 shaves the most a dozen it will feel like the Falstaff LD4. The Moe's knot feel will stay the same great spring, the knot's tip presence won't change (or maybe it will after 20, 30 have?) I have the same knot on a Chief. A MM or 2 in free loft and loft makes a big difference in the feel of the knot so if I want strong backbone like your Falstaff I look for 46-49,50, 47-50,51, 48-50,51 in a Hybrid head, with the same lofts I'll get a little less backbone in a Fan but it willl still be strong especailly with the LD4 and LE4 knots.

You've got some great brushes, nice veriety of lathering feels, All the best to you.

51 457