04-20-2017, 07:09 AM
User Info
hello to everyone [Image: clear.png]

I always shave WTG (With The Grain) pass, because the other passes (xtg,atg) makes me a lot of irritation.
What the method\technique to get the best results in WTG shaving?
now i using in aggressive razor and aggressive blade: Muhle R41+Feather , and Gillette Slim Adjustable settings 9 with Feather Blade.
my shaving cream is: Nivea Original Shaving cream (Blue box).

Thank you very much....

0 65
 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM
User Info
I'd suggest using your hand that isn't holding the razor to slightly  stretch the skin above the shaving stroke.  Combine that with bloating your cheeks and experiment with other weird facial expressions to try and raise the stubble away from the skin.   It has taken me awhile to determine which of these techniques work for me but I shave against the grain as well as with.  I also use a reasonably effective razor (FaTip Grande) but seldom shave every day as I find I get closer shaves with 48 hours' growth and my skin has time to recover from the previous shave. Watch some videos of barbers giving men a straight shave and notice the skin stretching technique.  Subtle stretching, and as always some sort of decent preparation.  I have never been able to get a really BBS shave without going against the grain and after two days I think the stubble is just that little bit more pronounced above the skin that the blade seems to get a better "purchase" on the hair.  I could just be imagining this, but it seems to be working well for me.  I hope this was of some assistance to you.

1 230
 04-20-2017, 05:18 PM
User Info
What happens when you dial back to super mild and try 2 passes WTG and XTG?  Still bad?

1 108
 04-20-2017, 05:22 PM
User Info
You may want to try two WTG passes, with some stretching of the skin with your free hand on the second pass.

51 6,462
 04-20-2017, 06:31 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I only shave with the grain. I do 2 passes with a moderately aggressive razor(Wolfman, Blackbird, ATT)

3 587
 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
User Info
I used to shave wtg only for the same reasons as you. But, as technique, preparation and equipment went up, also the number of passes has gone up. Right now, i go for six passes, including wtg, xtg1, xtg2, atg, diagonal 1 and diagonal 2 (not in that order). I do it every day. Zero irritation. Zero burn.

Of course, is not for everybody. And every thing has to be up to par. But is doable and believe me, my skin is not made out of baseball glove leather, and my whiskers are not cotton candy.

I think technique is 90% of it. That means, stretching is most important and blade angle is second most important.

Good pre and good soap are very important also. I would not try six passes without a good soap. It simply let you dig... (rhetorically, of course. I dont mean to use pressure whatsoever). In a six pass shave, pressure has to be zero!

Instead of wtg twice, you can try wtg, followed with a diagonal. This mean, a pass between wtg and xtg. Play with that angle. Dont go across just yet. Go at an angle to the grain. Increase it little by little. This will help you improve the mental picture of your face hair growth map, which is important also, and that is learned over the long run.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 04-21-2017, 06:17 AM
User Info
I agree that learning to effectively stretch the skin will help. Have you tried adding a cross grain pass? It is remarkable how much that helps in my opinion.

75 2,322
 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM
User Info
If diagonal or cross grain are the same as mentioned by Pepe and Nathan,it indeed is a very effective pass.

I go with 3 passes and my first pass itself is a combination of wtg and cross /diagonal pass. Needless to say, I do stretch my skin to get a close shave.

Prepping, blades too play an important part in all this. I don't try to get too many shaves from the blade, objective being a shave without any irritation. Blades are cheap but a BBS shave priceless.

1 854
 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-21-2017, 07:18 AM)Jags009 Wrote: I don't try to get too many shaves from the blade, objective being a shave without any irritation. Blades are cheap but a BBS shave priceless.

+1, Brother!

Another thing I've learned is to listen to my skin. If it says "stop" after pass 2, I stop. Nothing wrong with only WTG and XTG for a DFS. I'll shave again tomorrow!

7 2,383
 04-22-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
(04-21-2017, 07:18 AM)Jags009 Wrote: If diagonal or cross grain are the same as mentioned by Pepe and Nathan,it indeed is a very effective pass.

I go with 3 passes and my first pass itself is a combination of wtg and cross /diagonal pass. Needless to say, I do stretch my skin to get a close shave.

Prepping, blades too play an important part in all this. I don't try to get too many shaves from the blade, objective being a shave without any irritation. Blades are cheap but a BBS shave priceless.

Xtg would be perpendicular to the grain, while diagonal would be closer to wtg than that. It would be between wtg and xtg. And of course, it could be between xtg and atg.

What i want to illustrate is that we dont have to stick to with zero, 90 and 180 degrees. There are many angles in between that work wonders...

0 479
 04-22-2017, 07:40 PM
User Info
True that my friend.

1 854
 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Use your tongue to push out your cheeks, lips, etc. around your mouth area.  Also, as mentioned, puff out your cheeks, whilst shaving them.  

Use warm water to lather, and, then, switch to cool water for the actual shave.  The difference in temperature makes the hair easier to cut.  

Use a fresh razor blade, for each shave.  

Stretch your skin, with your free hand.   

Make different faces, when going around the mouth area. 

Tilt your head slightly up/back, when shaving the neck.

I, also, only go WTG.  These techniques have worked, for me.

1 589
 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM
User Info
I do 1 WTG, and 1 XTG and then a partial ATG on my neck and call it good, it's not BBS but rather a DFS and thats good for me, i would rather have a DFS with no irration rather than a BBS with it and it only lasts a few hours so not worth it to me, go for comforatble and see what happens, shaving should be pleasurable not uncomfortable.

6 1,407
 05-01-2017, 12:03 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(04-21-2017, 11:29 AM)chazt Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 07:18 AM)Jags009 Wrote: I don't try to get too many shaves from the blade, objective being a shave without any irritation. Blades are cheap but a BBS shave priceless.

+1, Brother!

Another thing I've learned is to listen to my skin. If it says "stop" after pass 2, I stop. Nothing wrong with only WTG and XTG for a DFS. I'll shave again tomorrow!

+1 to this also. This is one of the most important things I like to work on. There are times where in the middle of a shave, something tells me to change the blade or to skip the final pass, I do it. Too many times I have pressed on or thought "what can it hurt?" and it does end up hurting LOL

0 360
 05-03-2017, 03:28 PM
User Info
My dad was always a WTG type shaver only too. He thought I was a mad man going ATG! What are you doing going ATG?!?!  Always cracked me up! ATG was like taboo to him...

2 52
 05-03-2017, 05:09 PM
User Info
I was just like that for 30 years... jajaja

0 479