04-20-2017, 07:53 PM
User Info
I have been unable to find a thread that compares different Wolfman blade gaps, specifically in a SB.  For those that have several Wolfmans with different blade gaps, what are your thoughts?  Thanks for sharing your experience.

6 177
 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Those that have several Wolfmans are relatively sparse, I presume. I have a .74mm blade gap open comb, but wish it were a .86. I'm an aggressive razor fan, and the .74 just doesn't quite have the punch I enjoy.

5 298
 04-20-2017, 10:42 PM
User Info
I only tested Standard 0,61 and 0,67. I have two Wolfman (SB and OC) and both are 0,67. For me is very smooth and comfortable but efficient.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 1,007
 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
User Info
(04-20-2017, 09:02 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: Those that have several Wolfmans are relatively sparse, I presume. I have a .74mm blade gap open comb, but wish it were a .86. I'm an aggressive razor fan, and the .74 just doesn't quite have the punch I enjoy.

I can buy yours..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 670
 04-21-2017, 04:30 AM
User Info
I have standard medium .61 SB & OC, and .74 in a DC. The .61 is plenty good. The .74 is not 'better', for me, just different. In the Timeless I have .68 SB and .95 OC. The .68 is not as easy to find the angle as is the Wolfman .61, but it is also plenty good when you do find it. The .95 is almost too much of a good thing. I had written to them asking about a compromise blade gap of something like 80mm but never got a reply. 

After over 50 years of shaving I've discovered through razors like the AS-D2, the Ikon X3 slant, with very little blade gap, that blade gap is not as important as technique. At least with my particular beard. YMMV.

6 185
 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
User Info
Thanks for the replies thus far.  I completely agree JimmyH that blade gap as a comparison between different razors is of little value since there are other equally (if not more) important elements in how a razor shaves.  Where I believe looking at different gaps becomes more significant is when that is the only variable in the equation such as with a Wolfman SB where everything else is constant.  

I have two Wolfman SBs, a .61 and a .67.  The .67 is slightly more efficient without any increase in harshness and surprising (to me) is actually a better shave for me without any irritation.  I am now curious about a .74 and beyond.

6 177
 06-26-2017, 09:08 PM
User Info
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone would like to add their thoughts.

6 177
 06-26-2017, 09:42 PM
User Info
I have one with the standard gap.  Is that .61?

11 951
 06-26-2017, 09:44 PM
User Info
Just checked the website and answered my own question -- yes it is.

11 951
 06-26-2017, 09:50 PM
User Info
I have .61 and .74 SS OC, the .74 is a little more efficient, but I don't really notice much more aggressiveness. They're both great shavers, smooth and easy for me. The angle is pretty wide, so not tricky to use either.
I'd like to try a .67, but I don't know that it would be enough of a difference for me to spend the money on one. I can't say I wouldn't want to try the .86, but I'm plenty happy with the .74
Material also plays a role in the feel of them. The .61 SS feels much different than the Ti, with the Ti feeling just a little more nimble. Once again, they are just different, IMO one isn't better than the other.
I haven't used Aluminum or brass or copper, so I don't have any input on those.

6 289
 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM
User Info
(06-26-2017, 09:50 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I have .61 and .74 SS OC, the .74 is a little more efficient, but I don't really notice much more aggressiveness. They're both great shavers, smooth and easy for me. The angle is pretty wide, so not tricky to use either.
I'd like to try a .67, but I don't know that it would be enough of a difference for me to spend the money on one. I can't say I wouldn't want to try the .86, but I'm plenty happy with the .74
Material also plays a role in the feel of them. The .61 SS feels much different than the Ti, with the Ti feeling just a little more nimble. Once again, they are just different, IMO one isn't better than the other.
I haven't used Aluminum or brass or copper, so I don't have any input on those.

Thank you for the insight.

6 177
 07-04-2017, 04:06 PM
User Info
I had a .61 SB SS and a .67 SB SS when I started this thread.  I now also have a .74 SB SS.  The best way to describe them is smooth, smoother, and smoothest.  Or close, closer, and closest.  I prefer brevity in my writing.  The .74 borders being too close a shave, but it is so damn smooth that you don't realize it when shaving.  It makes the conversation about Blade Gap particularly relevant since the only variable between these three razors is the Gap.  James knows his stuff.

6 177
 07-04-2017, 04:19 PM
User Info
Just as a comparison, one of the closest/smoothest shavers I have is the Blackbird OC, and TBH the SB is equally as close. I was very surprised to see that the blade gap, noted on the website is .58mm. I expected it would be in the 70s-80s. Such an efficient razor. 

Before I ever scored a Wolfman a Canadian friend posted that he had gotten a standard .61 from James and exchanged it for a .74. I immediately figured that I couldn't be happy with less than .74. Well it was awhile before I got a Wolfman. In the interim I went for Above The Tie slant S-1 and S-2. I liked the shaves and noted on the ATT FAQ a blade gap comparison. They were .61. 

So unable to get on 'the list' I started watching ebay and scored a Wolfman OC .61 at what I considered a reasonable enough price. Shaved great. I eventually scored the .74, also off of the bay, and it shaves great too. No surprise. TBH, if I had a shot to get an .86 I'd probably take it.

A Timeless .95 shaves fine for me, but I'm happy with what I have. Best of luck on the hunt.

6 185
 07-04-2017, 07:46 PM
User Info
I have a .54, a few .61s, and two .74s. The biggest difference to me is in the 'blade feel'. With the larger blade gaps, there is more blade feel on the face, but they all give very smooth and comfortable shaves. Naturally, the larger blade gaps are virtually done after two passes, while the smaller blade gaps take a bit of touch up.

23 576
 07-04-2017, 10:33 PM
User Info
(07-04-2017, 04:06 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I had a .61 SB SS and a .67 SB SS when I started this thread.  I now also have a .74 SB SS.  The best way to describe them is smooth, smoother, and smoothest.  Or close, closer, and closest.  I prefer brevity in my writing.  The .74 borders being too close a shave, but it is so damn smooth that you don't realize it when shaving.  It makes the conversation about Blade Gap particularly relevant since the only variable between these three razors is the Gap.  James knows his stuff.

I'm glad to hear you had the opportunity to try the .74 gap. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, but I use the .61 just as much. They both serve a purpose for me, and I enjoy the shave they both offer.

6 289
 1 hour ago
User Info
Has anyone ever tried their higher blade gaps? Mainly 0.80mm and 0.86mm. How do they compare to 0.74?

0 4
 26 minutes ago
User Info
I actually had a .61 and sold it as I found it to me on the mild side for me and I've learned I prefer a more aggressive razor. 

If I ever get the opportunity, I'd like a .74 SB in titanium from James ... but until then, I use an ATT-H1 and like it just fine.

1 147