04-21-2017, 08:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I often window shop for unscented shave soaps. Strange but true, there are some unscented soaps with "fragrance" listed as an ingredient. I have yet to try any such soap. As a student of linguistics and semantics I find this to be disconcerting. What kind of fragrance has no scent? If one exists, is it used in the soap to nullify the naturally occurring scent of the individual ingredients? If so, how does this work? What's the science behind it? Lack of perceptible scent aside, how can a shave soap with "fragrance" be considered to be unscented? Inquiring minds want to know.

7 2,156
 04-22-2017, 03:20 AM
User Info
It does seem strange to include fragrance in the ingredients of an unscented soap.  Can you provide an example of what you're speaking of?

74 2,276
 04-22-2017, 03:29 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I know what you mean. It is a weird concept. For example, the "Unscented" Pre-Shave Oil by AoS has black pepper and clove.

And the ASB in the same line has orange peel among other notes. (I'm not looking at the list, going from memory here...may be slightly off.)

BTW, both of these are beautiful, classy scents!!! ... just, misleading for something marketed as Unscented.

59 2,825
 04-22-2017, 04:57 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-22-2017, 03:20 AM)merkur man Wrote: It does seem strange to include fragrance in the ingredients of an unscented soap.  Can you provide an example of what you're speaking of?

Sure; but without mentioning names, for example, this

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Avocado Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Bison Tallow, Mango Seed Butter, Castor Oil, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Lanolin, Bentonite Clay, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Fruit Extract, Salix Alba L. (White Willow) Bark Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid

or this

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Aqua, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Parfum

7 2,156
 04-22-2017, 08:01 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-22-2017, 04:57 AM)chazt Wrote:
(04-22-2017, 03:20 AM)merkur man Wrote: It does seem strange to include fragrance in the ingredients of an unscented soap.  Can you provide an example of what you're speaking of?
Sure; but without mentioning names, for example, this

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Avocado Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Bison Tallow, Mango Seed Butter, Castor Oil, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Lanolin, Bentonite Clay, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Fruit Extract, Salix Alba L. (White Willow) Bark Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid

Rolleyes You did adhere to your criterion of not mentioning names; but it looks to these jaundiced eyes that you had to be referring to a specific soapmaker that a francophone could not address on Christmas Day.   Biggrin  

1 1,089
 04-22-2017, 08:01 AM
User Info
Yeah, manufacturers are allowed to call soap “unscented” if the purpose of the fragrance is to mask the odor of the other ingredients in the soap. OTOH, “fragrance-free” is usually used when no fragrance is added.

That said, I agree, the adopted terms are terribly inaccurate/misleading.

0 490
 04-22-2017, 08:21 AM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 08:01 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Yeah, manufacturers are allowed to call soap “unscented” if the purpose of the fragrance is to mask the odor of the other ingredients in the soap. OTOH, “fragrance-free” is usually used when no fragrance is added.

Exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 804
 04-24-2017, 10:13 PM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 08:01 AM)Bask4Edge Wrote: Yeah, manufacturers are allowed to call soap “unscented” if the purpose of the fragrance is to mask the odor of the other ingredients in the soap. OTOH, “fragrance-free” is usually used when no fragrance is added.

Bingo. Very misleading terminology.  Pretty much everything has some kind of scent.  But some products, if left unscented, might not seem unscented or even be unattractive because of the natural scent of its ingredients, and in that case the manufacturer is allowed to use a fragrance that will "cancel out" the underlying odor, in order to give the impression that it is unscented.  Weird.

0 280
 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM
User Info
‘Is’ is not what it is. (Paraphrasing what a once-prominent figure said.)

0 490
 04-25-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
I believe one member including myself might add "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
This sounds like food saying fat free which is not free of fat.

36 893