04-23-2017, 04:11 AM
User Info
I just discovered DE shaving about a month ago and am "in for a penny, in for a pound" at this point, enjoying the ride. Now, what is this single bade and/or injector stuff all about? I need a crash course. GO!

3 56
 04-23-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
SE (GEMs, Injectors and the others) is simply another great way to shave, just like DE. The prep and postshave is the same, just a different tool that have to be learned.

GEMs are all vintgage, but at least three new GEM razors is due out any day now.. it's a great time to be a shaver Wink

You can do a lot worse than reading some of Brian's threads on GEM SE razors; 

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=2004
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=2002
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=2032

Both GEMs and Injectors are easily avaiable - get a couple and try for yourself Smile

3 4,510
 04-23-2017, 04:39 AM
User Info
Nice. Thanks for the links. I would find any personal stories/testimonies from members here the SE world interesting. Feel free to post them here!
I actually have one of these coming along with a slim (bundled in 1 lot on Etsy) as a restoration project. Any blade suggestions for trying it out?

3 56
 04-23-2017, 04:50 AM
User Info
(04-23-2017, 04:39 AM)Baylorgator Wrote: Nice. Thanks for the links. I would find any personal stories/testimonies from members here the SE world interesting.  Feel free to post them here!

Or you might use our built in forum search.. it's not half bad you know Wink

If you got a GEM razor on the way, you'll have to use a GEM blade. Several sources sells them, just get them from a reputable shaving supply so you'll avoid the window scraper utility blades...

3 4,510
 04-23-2017, 06:07 AM
User Info
Thanks for that blinding glimpse of the obvious. Rookie mistake.

3 56
 04-24-2017, 02:40 AM
User Info
Most of us own a combination of DE safety razors as well as SE (single edge) razors.  There are excellent razors in both categories so I believe it would be wrong to say that one is "better " than the other.  While I don't have any numbers to back this up, I would say that the large majority of wetshavers use safety razors because of greater availability and price.  As you know, within the single edge category are several different basic types including GEM, injector and razors using Artist Club blades.  

For me, and I don't know if others have the same experience, the more rigid single edge blades are what separate SE razors from DE razors.  I have sensitive skin that does much better with an SE razor - and that includes all types of SE razors from the early GEM to the modern SE.  I don't know if this is because the thicker SE blade has less chatter or because an SE blade edge has a different shape than a DE blade, but the difference is striking.  I have not shaved with a DE razor in several months now.

Good luck and have fun.

2 63
 04-24-2017, 02:49 AM
User Info
I use a different SE or DE every Sunday with a Traditional "Old Spice Shave" and occasionally a Schick Injector, all provide a great shave and all are different to small degrees, the rest of the days in the week I use a straight as that is where my passion is but still will always enjoy the SE/DE vintage one's

6 1,341
 04-24-2017, 06:07 AM
User Info
The rabbit hole has opened up into a wide cavern this week.  So many things to try with only 1 opportunity a day to do it.  I think I may be here a while...

3 56
 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM
User Info
(04-24-2017, 06:07 AM)Baylorgator Wrote: The rabbit hole has opened up into a wide cavern this week.  So many things to try with only 1 opportunity a day to do it.  I think I may be here a while...

welcome, enjoy, make ur self comfy and don't worry we will have ur wallet in our prayers.

0 199
 04-25-2017, 06:42 AM
User Info
Pretty sure my wallet has "given up the ghost" already, but thanks for the prayers nonetheless!

3 56