04-26-2017, 03:55 PM
User Info
.    Ok. I am new to DE shaving and I am enjoying taking the time to care for myself. I ,however, have a problem. I am developing acne type bumps on my chin and have some irritation on my cheeks. I am using an Edwin jäger Super Badger and a cream. My face stings when I add the cream for my second pass. What do you think? Allergic to something. I'm thinking maybe the cream? Brush?

Thanks

Troy

1 71
 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
What cream are you using and have you tried a different soap to see if you get the same results?

46 844
 04-26-2017, 04:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi Troy. It could be as you suggested - maybe the cream, maybe the brush, but not likely the brush. What cream are you using? A number of folks react to different ingredients. I'm allergic to one particular lavender scented product. My skin became red, raw and itchy. Or, perhaps you're using too heavy a hand... try lightening up on the pressure you use as you shave. Use "negative" pressure. Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you moving forward.

2 1,706
 04-26-2017, 04:14 PM
User Info
I am using NY Shaving Tonsorial. I have never used anything else yet. I thinking maybe I should try a soap. Hope it is not my brush. I do like the smell of the cream.

Troy

1 71
 04-26-2017, 04:18 PM
User Info
I am also using gentleman Jon alum.

1 71
 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM
User Info
(04-26-2017, 03:55 PM)Spin240 Wrote: .    Ok. I am new to DE shaving and I am enjoying taking the time to care for myself. I ,however, have a problem. I am developing acne type bumps on my chin and have some irritation on my cheeks. I am using an Edwin jäger Super Badger and a cream. My face stings when I add the cream for my second pass. What do you think? Allergic to something. I'm thinking maybe the cream? Brush?

Thanks

Troy

Those "acne bumps" are most likely some ingrown hairs, particularly if you've only developed them since starting shaving with a DE.  Regarding the stinging, I would suggest that while it is possible that you're having some type of allergic reaction, it is much more likely that you are experiencing a very common problem called razor burn.  When the lather is applied over razor burn it can definitely sting.  As mentioned above, try ZERO pressure and just shave with the grain until you can do that without getting the irritation you're speaking of.  Good luck!

73 2,190
 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM
User Info
Interesting....I've been pondering a similar situation. Two weeks ago during the razor "cleanup" of my haircut, the barber gave me bad razor burn high on both cheeks when he edged my sideburns. I've been using my L'Occitane CADE balm (fabulous stuff) twice daily on that area since then and the left side is no problem now. However my right cheek exhibits the same issues as you, except without the bumps. I face lather and pass one is no problem. Lathering for passes two and three produce a burning/stinging sensation in that small area. Rubbing the balm in after shaving burns a bit as well which has never happened before. I have experienced this for two weeks while rotating through four different creams with no difference. In my case it appears that particular piece of skin is super-sensitive as a result of bad razor burn. I hope this is useful to you.

RON

0 88
 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
Thank you guys . I was hoping to have an excuse to by a new soap. Lol I really want to try the C&S but it is quite pricey.

1 71
 04-26-2017, 05:02 PM
User Info
(04-26-2017, 04:21 PM)merkur man Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 03:55 PM)Spin240 Wrote: .    Ok. I am new to DE shaving and I am enjoying taking the time to care for myself. I ,however, have a problem. I am developing acne type bumps on my chin and have some irritation on my cheeks. I am using an Edwin jäger Super Badger and a cream. My face stings when I add the cream for my second pass. What do you think? Allergic to something. I'm thinking maybe the cream? Brush?

Thanks

Troy

Those "acne bumps" are most likely some ingrown hairs, particularly if you've only developed them since starting shaving with a DE.  Regarding the stinging, I would suggest that while it is possible that you're having some type of allergic reaction, it is much more likely that you are experiencing a very common problem called razor burn.  When the lather is applied over razor burn it can definitely sting.  As mentioned above, try ZERO pressure and just shave with the grain until you can do that without getting the irritation you're speaking of.  Good luck!

What would be the best way to prevent ingrown hairs? Quit shaving? Lol

1 71
 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM
User Info
Ingrown Hair are an outcome of our own shaving technique. When we try to cut our hair too close to the skin, against the grain, the hair while growing back enters the skin and causes those ugly bumps and sometimes it takes a week or so to fully recover from it. Give yourself a break for sometime from ATG and only stick to WTG, Xtg.

Sensation on your cheeks could be razor burn. Please hold the razor as lightly as possible. No pressure. Check your blades for any dullness too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 598
 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
User Info
(04-26-2017, 05:20 PM)Jags009 Wrote: Ingrown Hair are an outcome of our own shaving technique. When we try to cut our hair too close to the skin, against the grain, the hair while growing back enters the skin and causes those ugly bumps and sometimes it takes a week or so to fully recover from it. Give yourself a break for sometime from ATG and only stick to WTG, Xtg.

Sensation on your cheeks could be razor burn. Please hold the razor as lightly as possible. No pressure. Check your blades for any dullness too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You?

1 71
 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM
User Info
I'm not familiar with the cream you are using but this does sound like a razor burn issue. As others have said pressure and angle are likely culprits. However it could also be that your cream isn't giving you enough glide / protection. You might try one of the artistsan soaps that get a lot of love like Cold River Soap Works, Stirling ( Best price ), or L and L grooming. 

As a side note the aftershave liniment from L&L has become my go to product for healing / preventing razor burn.

2 37
 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
Try shaving less often. Do 2 passes, with the grain and across the grain. Avoid shaving against the grain. Map the direction of your hair growth on EVERY spot of your face and neck. Add witch hazel and aftershave balm to your post shave routine.

8 108
 04-26-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
Did you have the problem with your face breaking out before you started wet shaving?  More important did you have the problem prior to using alum?  Do you use an alcohol after shave?

A few years ago I purchased an alum block.  I used it in conjunction with an alcohol based aftershave.  Within a few weeks after using the alum I developed a rash on my neck which became increasingly worse.  One morning after applying alum to the area I shaved I developed a rash allover my neck so bad that I would not leave the house.  It looked like measles and felt like a severe sunburn.  The alum was Osma which is a quality natural product.  Prior to calling my dermatologist I checked the web and found the following.  A rash like I had, happens on some people but not all from using alum.  The articles I read indicated that to prevent it do not use a products that dehydrates you skin.  Alcohol based products such as splashes and alum do dehydrate your skin.  And, do not use an antibacterial.  Alum is an antibacterial.  Within a day after eliminating the aftershave and alum the rash disappeared and I have not had it since.  This does not happen to everyone who uses alum but it is a problem.

0 214
 04-26-2017, 07:35 PM
User Info
I had a very similar problem while transitioning to DE shaving. I used this product and it helped immediately. Only needed it for a few weeks but every now an again I'll dab it on before bed to help. Best of luck. [Image: 4a83e3dfa1e62007fa12b12729fae1bd.jpg]

11 77
 04-27-2017, 06:49 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
How do you use your alum? If you leave it on too long it can dry out your skin, which can cause problems. Do you face or bowl lather? I have sensitive skin and I get irritation if I face lather, so I use a bowl. I would also suggest only going with the grain at least until you get your technique down. I do 2 with the grain passes and while I don't get a BBS, don't get razor bumps or irritation either. I also use a product called Bump Patrol that really helps.

3 498
 04-27-2017, 09:03 AM
User Info
(04-27-2017, 06:49 AM)DayMan Wrote: How do you use your alum? If you leave it on too long it can dry out your skin, which can cause problems. Do you face or bowl lather? I have sensitive skin and I get irritation if I face lather, so I use a bowl. I would also suggest only going with the grain at least until you get your technique down. I do 2 with the grain passes and while I don't get a BBS, don't get razor bumps or irritation either. I also use a product called Bump Patrol that really helps.

The minute you apply alum it drys your skin that's actually what its for.  It drys very quickly.  When I did use it I would rinse it off in a minute or two.  I believe as I said some people's body chemistry reacts in different ways.  Some have no problems some do.  Obviously face lathering causes more brush contact on you face.  Bowl lathering does not.  Jackson my be right with his bump remover.  You will have to try everything until you find what is causing your problem.  Discontinue for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

0 214
 04-27-2017, 09:42 AM
User Info
(04-27-2017, 09:03 AM)Tidepool Wrote:
(04-27-2017, 06:49 AM)DayMan Wrote: How do you use your alum? If you leave it on too long it can dry out your skin, which can cause problems. Do you face or bowl lather? I have sensitive skin and I get irritation if I face lather, so I use a bowl. I would also suggest only going with the grain at least until you get your technique down. I do 2 with the grain passes and while I don't get a BBS, don't get razor bumps or irritation either. I also use a product called Bump Patrol that really helps.

The minute you apply alum it drys your skin that's actually what its for.  It drys very quickly.  When I did use it I would rinse it off in a minute or two.  I believe as I said some people's body chemistry reacts in different ways.  Some have no problems some do.  Obviously face lathering causes more brush contact on you face.  Bowl lathering does not.  Jackson my be right with his bump remover.  You will have to try everything until you find what is causing your problem.  Discontinue for a few days and see if it makes a difference.
I am going to leave the Alum alone for the new few shaves. I do bowl lather. Thank you for the advice.

1 71
 04-27-2017, 07:43 PM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
Hi Spin240,

I suffer from a lot of skin/contact/product allergies.  It is most likely something in the cream.    I would really recommend something like Proraso, as the artisan/barber shop creams tend to be heavily fragranced and/or dyed.  

I really would suggest you switch to a soap, though.  I am using Proraso, right now, and, enjoying it, but, may try Pré de Provence, or something like it, if I can find a formulation, which works with my skin. 

If not the soap, maybe try a different blade.

0 309
 04-27-2017, 07:45 PM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
(04-27-2017, 09:42 AM)Spin240 Wrote:
(04-27-2017, 09:03 AM)Tidepool Wrote:

I am going to leave the Alum alone for the new few shaves. I do bowl lather. Thank you for the advice.

Oh, right.  You said you suffered from acne.  Okay.  Keep using the alum bloc.  This helps acne, a lot.  Also, I use Clearasil Face Wash as a pre-shave soap.  I would recommend something similar.

0 309