04-30-2017, 07:28 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Do you concentrate on the speed of the stroke? Yes, no?
If so, what works best for you (using your definition of what is fast, moderate, slow)?
Do you aim for different speeds depending on aggressiveness/efficiency of different razors (or blades)?

EDIT:
could a moderator please add a Poll, with choices:

-no, I mostly don't pay attention to speed
-slow
-moderate
-fast
-I use different speed depending on razor/blade
Thank you!

62 3,004
 04-30-2017, 08:10 AM
User Info
Speeding up my stroke was the biggest game changer for me. I ,on purpose, make long quick strokes. I get more shaves out of the blade and don't feel any tugging using this method. For the tough to get spots, quick buffing works like a charm!

11 196
 04-30-2017, 12:26 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Slow to slow-moderate, only. Never anything else.

Although my slow is likely different from the next guy's...

7 2,355
 04-30-2017, 02:03 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Slow and short. Which also would have described me in my ball playing days.

7 2,359
 04-30-2017, 02:06 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
WTG = slow and long
XTG = moderate and short
ATG = not used or used for touch-up

5 426
 05-01-2017, 03:43 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I like to go as slowly as possible.  When I start to feel overconfident, and, go too quickly, I tend to knick myself.  I tend to use aggressive razors, so, this is important.  

I am pleased to say I have only needed the styptic pencil twice, in the past four, or, five months.  Since New Year's.

1 589
 05-01-2017, 04:17 PM
User Info
Back DE shaving after 5 decades of Carts, so I'm still working in technique. After 4  months I'm still all over the place; short and choppy, long and smooth, etc. However like Quando when I get careless and too fast it's razor burn or nicks. I would say the correct speed for me at this point is moderately slow and paying attention to detail.

RON

0 195
 05-01-2017, 04:34 PM
User Info
i go slow and long.  then again, i don't buff that slow.  i guess that the longer the stroke the slower i go.  i shave my head, and it takes about 40 minutes.  i like to take my time.  i do many passes and for that it is important not to use pressure.  and going slow helps me big time to keep the pressure at a minimum. zero if possible.

shaving is a little like golf.  the grip has to be light.  if you tighten your grip, pressure will go up, and you will pay for it.  another similarity is that whenever you hurry up, things go bad...

;-)

0 479
 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM
User Info
When I first started wet shaving, I shaved slow and deliberately. But, now my shaves are the following:
Cheeks/ side of the face- fast
Upper/ lower lips- slow
Neck- slow

0 52
 05-11-2017, 11:40 PM
User Info
Never thought of speed before, interesting! (As was a recent discussion elsewhere on number of strokes per shave. People reported everything from 40 to 300+. Suppose the two issues are related, as per Carlos' statement.)

Dependent on growth, blade/-type and razor, but I tend to go with more and shorter strokes at a smooth, slow pace and the same speed all over. On less growth and for second+ passes usually longer strokes and presumably faster.

2 66
 05-12-2017, 12:44 AM
User Info
(05-01-2017, 04:52 PM)Wayjr Wrote: But, now my shaves are the following:
Cheeks/ side of the face- fast
Upper/ lower lips- slow
Neck- slow

Yes! Depends on the areas of the face and the direction of hair growth

0 7
 05-12-2017, 02:45 AM
User Info
I know one thing for sure; my stroke is way slower than the ones in the razer commercials on TV.. one, two, done. They must have a team of paramedics on standby to deal with the massive bloodloss Tongue

3 4,664
 05-14-2017, 04:48 AM
User Info
I would say about 200 strokes for a two pass (I don't do three pass and get near BBS). Seems like a lot, but I do smaller strokes and lift the razor quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44