05-23-2017, 06:09 AM
User Info
Nivea is very good and cheap.

Weleda is also very soothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 339
 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM
User Info
(04-30-2017, 10:39 AM)Asafiev Wrote: Myrsol Emulsion for me.

Agreed... Myrsol Emulsion is great.

7 114
 05-23-2017, 07:26 AM
User Info
(05-01-2017, 09:19 AM)surfshaver Wrote: I'm interested in this topic as well as I have sensitive skin and I get what I call "superficial" razor burn from time to time -- redness that lasts for a hour or two and goes away without any enduring discomfort.  I've not yet found a balm or product that soothes this redness -- as a matter of fact, most balms I've tried seem to inflame it.  Will be following this thread (and article!) with interest.

I also have sensitive skin and know the superficial burn you mentioned. For me personally, the Myrsol emulsion or GFT skin food works great. The Myrsol has a light menthol help healing and has alight scent. The Trumpers skin food lime is nice a cool and soothing yet restorative.

7 114
 05-24-2017, 02:48 AM
User Info
I'm lucky in that I never have issues with razor burn but I do tend to tightness after the shave.  I've used several balms in the past.  Everything from the relatively inexpensive Nivea to the more upscale LoCcitane and it all worked great.  That said, after I tried Celestino's beloved unrefined Shea the others have become PIFs.  It goes on light or heavy depending on my application. It seems to provide a vapor barrier through the day which keeps my skin hydrated in my high desert climate. It seems to not be heavy feeling when I travel to humid locals, and it's darn cheap.

2 124
 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-24-2017, 02:48 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I'm lucky in that I never have issues with razor burn but I do tend to tightness after the shave.  I've used several balms in the past.  Everything from the relatively inexpensive Nivea to the more upscale LoCcitane and it all worked great.  That said, after I tried Celestino's beloved unrefined Shea the others have become PIFs.  It goes on light or heavy depending on my application. It seems to provide a vapor barrier through the day which keeps my skin hydrated in my high desert climate. It seems to not be heavy feeling when I travel to humid locals, and it's darn cheap.

I am going to cheat here, and say that the best “aftershave” balm is a thin layer of Noxzema Classic Clean Original cream applied to the beard before lathering.  The Noxzema adds lubricity, reducing the occurrence of razor burn before inception, and, in the event of some razor irritation occurring anyway, it is already in place and healing with menthol and eucalyptus oil faster than one possibly could apply a balm after, or even during, a shave.  

0 1,034
 05-25-2017, 05:32 PM
User Info
(05-01-2017, 06:17 PM)celestino Wrote: I know it is not a balm, but unrefined shea butter is superb for any type of skin irritation.

I use it but I always end up with pimples when I do. It seems to clog up my pores

5 279