05-02-2017, 03:57 AM
User Info
How do you see the differences. 10 years ago I just needed to learn how to distinguish between pure, best, super and or finest. Now everyone is talking about the different bands and I'm lost. Is there a post with photos someone can point me to that explains how to tell the difference visually. I've been out of the game for a few years so I'm still getting back into the forums. Forgive me if there is a sticky post somewhere I missed. Thanks in advance.

1 41
 05-02-2017, 06:10 AM
User Info
Three band means that there are three bands of color - light, dark, light. Two band means two bands of color - dark, light. 

Three band knots are often called silvertip and two band knots are often called Manchurian, but those names are not standardized and manufacturers can come up with any name they like - i.e. alpine grade, or prime grade.

2 38
 05-02-2017, 07:57 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
If you go on the Shavemac website and click on the Confiurator and then the Knot Configurator, in the preamble you'll see the word "here" highlighted in red.  Click on the word and this will bring up descriptions and pictures of the different grades of badger offered by Shavemac.  They have 2 and 3 band badgers, but not Manchurian.

7 909
 05-02-2017, 08:02 AM
User Info
Similar to H. L. Thater brushes as they have 2 and 3 band brushes. I own a 2 band fan shaped Funf brush and it feels luxurious when face lathering or applying lather to the face after bowl lathering. I have several 3 band Badger brushes but I also have 2 Manchurian Panterai brushes on the way to me and I will compare these to my other brushes. My Thater is number 1 in my collection right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 874
 05-02-2017, 10:36 AM
User Info
Awesome explanation. Thank you I finally can participate in conversation again.

1 41
 05-02-2017, 04:43 PM
User Info
Three band on the left, two band on the right.

[Image: rPOKSn4.jpg]

28 1,085
 05-02-2017, 05:05 PM
User Info
The term Manchurian can be confusing.  Originally, it applied to a two-band hair from Simpson characterized by greater scrub and backbone, and less softness, than regular two-band hair.  However, in recent years the term Manchurian has been used as a marketing tool to describe any type of two-band hair, regardless of whether it has the qualities of the original Simpson Manchurian.

50 6,081
 05-02-2017, 11:00 PM
User Info
It's confusing when the name Manchurian is applied to three band hair. High Mountain White in three band hair to.

1 135
 05-03-2017, 03:27 AM
User Info
Screw it, let's all just go synthetic and love all animals regardless of bands. ;{|]

1 41
 05-03-2017, 04:45 AM
User Info
(05-02-2017, 05:05 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The term Manchurian can be confusing.  Originally, it applied to a two-band hair from Simpson characterized by greater scrub and backbone, and less softness, than regular two-band hair.  However, in recent years the term Manchurian has been used as a marketing tool to describe any type of two-band hair, regardless of whether it has the qualities of the original Simpson Manchurian.

+1. I had a Simpson (Somerset made) Manchurian that was so scritchy it would have taken the chrome off of a trailer hitch. Too much of a good thing and I sold it. Ten years ago a two band generally would be scritchy, and a three band soft tipped. This seems no longer to be the case. Thater for example is soft tipped no matter how many bands IME. Even the current Isle of Man Simpson Manchurians are not particularly scritchy, though they are scrubby, and great brushes. Now if you want scritch the Shavemac DO-1 two band is the king of scritch, and it is perfect scritch. Sort of like the old Rooney Finest two bands were. IMHO.

7 235
 05-03-2017, 05:11 AM
User Info
This is a great conversation to clarify a lot of the confusion over 2 band, 3 band, high mountain white and Manchurian. Thanks to everyone for keeping this going! I have had these questions and some of these observations for the last couple years.
I have a few of all types of badger hair brushes and I have determined that I like badger hair but the 2 band brushes are the best for me. I am a bowl latherer (is that even a word?) and use a ton of different soaps in a rotation and several different brushes.
This conversation is helping my decisions on which brushes to buy.

0 874
 06-10-2017, 12:40 PM
User Info
I have a Manchurian knot from Brad Sears which is a tied favourite with my 2 band shavemac knot. I like both for slightly different reasons but both are fantastic knots

0 66
 06-10-2017, 02:02 PM
User Info
(06-10-2017, 12:40 PM)WayneBristil Wrote: I have a Manchurian knot from Brad Sears which is a tied favourite with my 2 band shavemac knot. I like both for slightly different reasons but both are fantastic knots

Which 2 band from shavemac?

1 97
 06-10-2017, 02:13 PM
User Info
Just received 2 Panta Rai brushes with 28-30mm 2 band Manchurian knots and they are absolutely gorgeous! Used one of them yesterday and the feel was the best I have had with any of my brushes!

0 874
 06-10-2017, 02:23 PM
User Info
Please remember, that all 2-bands in reality is 3-bands, you just rarely see the extra third band, because the mid band is wider in 2-bands, than it is in 3-bands.

Badgers with 2-band hair are often located in the higher mountains and in colder areas, which is why the 2-band is a thicker hair type, that protects the badger better against colder weather conditions.

24 5,966
 06-10-2017, 02:36 PM
User Info
Interesting point, I recall reading about longer hair needed for 2 band on shavemac's web site.

1 97