05-02-2017, 03:03 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
The second of the “new generation” shaving soaps that are formulated with donkey milk that I have purchased in the past month arrived in my mailbox yesterday, and I shaved with it this morning.  It is Wholly Kaw Fougère Bouquet SPECIAL EDITION, and it joins La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (with Donkey Milk) shaving soap, upon which I recently reported  Sherlock  here

[Image: VP8E0Lp.jpg]

The tub of the Special Edition Wholly Kaw Fougère Bouquet soap is flanked in the photo above by the puck of La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (Donkey Milk) shaving soap on the right, sitting in a Duralex Lys clear glass bowl, in which I store it between shaves (because it does not come in a tub of its own), and on the left by the lid from a Holiday presentation carton that contained a bottle of Scotch whisky: the lid is a perfect fit for the Duralex Lys glass bowl.

Although I intend to comment on the performance of the Wholly Kaw offering after I have complied with my own Two Dozen Rule for validation, site co-founder Teiste already has reviewed its sister formulation, Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale shaving soap, which was the first of the offerings from Wholly Kaw to incorporate Donkey Milk in its formulation.  I do expect that my performance evaluation of Fougère Bouquet Special Edition will not diverge much from Teiste’s evaluation of Monaco Royale.  

However, I am especially interested to see how the Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk soap differs from the drastically  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 different-from-all-others  Shok performance of La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Donkey Milk soap.  From my shaves so far with the latter, it may take very little time to discern differences, but the fun part will be sorting our which differences make one soap superior to the other and in which aspects those differences are most marked.  

For now, the only conclusion that I can confidently make from a single shave (this morning) is that my olefactory sense is calibrated to a standard far removed from the norm.  The scent of the Fougère Bouquet soap is very pleasant indeed; I really like it.  But it does not whisper “fern” into my ear.  Living in Oregon, ferns necessarily are my friends, as they surround me on all sides; the yard of our home is full of ferns, and we dive into home-grown warabi (fiddlehead fern heads), sautéed, as part of our supper several nights of the week during this delicious (and all too short) season of the fresh comestibles year.  But the excellent scent of Wholly Kaw Fougère Bouquet Special Edition just does not ring that fern bell with me.  

1 1,089
 05-04-2017, 06:58 PM
User Info
Looking forward to your comments. I have the Fougere Bouquet SE, but am holding off until I finish my regular tallow edition. I agree, this is not a green botanical scent. To me, it is a classic powdery barbershop scent. It's really pleasing and works great as a daily driver. I'm plowing through the tallow edition and mixing in some shaves with Monaco Royale, another terrific scent.

40 1,166
 05-05-2017, 02:16 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-04-2017, 06:58 PM)shevek Wrote: Looking forward to your comments. I have the Fougere Bouquet SE, but am holding off until I finish my regular tallow edition. I agree, this is not a green botanical scent. To me, it is a classic powdery barbershop scent. It's really pleasing and works great as a daily driver. I'm plowing through the tallow edition and mixing in some shaves with Monaco Royale, another terrific scent.

I have scant experience with barbershop scents.  But “powdery” was a descriptor that did come to mind when I whiffed Wholly Kaw Fougère Bouquet Special Eedition.
Your discipline to defer gratification with a soap already in your grasp is admirable.   Thumbup

1 1,089