08-19-2012, 05:25 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
This article was written for the Forum of The Shave Nook, please do NOT copy this article to post elsewhere. If you would like to use this article on another forum please post a hotlink instead so readers can read it on the nook.

This is for women and wet shaving with a brush and soap/cream of choice. Regardless of the razor choice used, it really is a lot of fun shaving with a brush the old fashioned way.

The first step I think is getting a brush that you like and you’re comfortable with. I know many guys have a section of brushes while others have just a few or even one favorite. I think the same can apply to a female as well. But because lathering our legs is much different than a man’s face. So at least for me the brush becomes more important. See what works for you. But I have found I like a little backbone so I love my best badger finding the silvertip to be a little too floppy. I have also found that I like shorter lofts and smaller knots. But each to his/her own so find what works for you and what you like. It’s a matter of personal preference.

Another important thing is to find a position that works well for you. This becomes more important because you’re using a brush to lather your legs rather than rubbing on the goop from a can. Sit on the edge of the tub on a stool or even the toilet depending on your bathroom or even sitting in the tub full of water resting your foot on the water spout. But get in a position that is comfortable for you to shave in and that works with your particular bathroom.

Now it’s time to begin lathering your legs. Now this is just how I do it, and it’s not right or wrong or the only way to do it. It’s just how I do it.

With soap in a jar/container you don’t want to shake out your brush too much. You want that extra water to help build your lather. Don’t be afraid to get a bit messy while loading your brush. You’re going to need more soap than the average guy for his face because we have a larger surface area to shave. Load the brush for a good minute, dipping the tips of the brush in the water as needed.

Now it’s time to go to the surface of your leg to lather. Work the brush on the top of the leg because it’s the easiest to lather. Brush in circular motion. Work the lather to the sides of the leg as comfortable for your hand. Don’t worry about the areas that are not comfortable for your hand to work in circular motion. This will become easier as you practicing lathering your leg. If the lather isn’t building don’t be afraid to re-charge your brush on your jar/puck of soap as needed. If the lather seems dry dip the tips of your brush in water and continue to lather on your leg. Some areas of the leg it’s easier to go in an up and down or side to side motion rather than a circular one. It also gets the job done!

For the areas that are harder to reach use the lather that you already created to brush and paint on the bare areas of skin. Work the brush in a side to side motion if that works for those harder to lather areas. Work the lower half of the leg first (one leg at a time) and shave that area and then repeat with the upper part of the leg if you shave that area. If you lather up both legs you before shaving you run the risk of your lather drying out some before you get to shaving that area.

If you’re using a puck of soap, then I recommend before shaving rubbing the damp puck onto the damp skin until you get a thin white film on the skin. Depending on the soap this could go quickly or it may take a few minutes. Charge your wet brush on the puck like you did with the soap in the bowl and take your brush to the skin. Lather up your leg as you go with your brush. Add water if your lather seems dry. If it seems like you’re lacking in the lather department in any area on the leg don’t be afraid to recharge your brush and then work that area. Continue as described above.

Creams can either be bowl lathered but I will come back to that when I get my scuttle so I can write more about how that works because I don’t do it that way right now. But you can dip the tips of the brush in the cream and begin to build your lather. If the cream is thick or dense also known as a croap gently swirl the bristles on the croap before going to your skin. Continue to build your lather as described above.

When in doubt use more product to build your lather. Just because we do have a larger surface area to cover than a man's face. You do not need to do multiple passes like a man does with his face. Just shave once for each portion of the leg you need to shave, just like you use to using your old method of shaving.

When you are shaving this way take the time to rinse your razor often to prevent the lather from clogging.

Even if you choose not to use a DE or a SE razor and prefer to use a disposable of choice know that you’re taking your shave experience to a whole new level. In my opinion I would keep away from the expensive cartridge razors and if you’re not comfortable with a DE just use an inexpensive disposable razor instead. You will still get a good shave with it.

This doesn’t have to be difficult but most of all use a product that you enjoy. Select soap or a cream or even both if you enjoy both, but also in a scent that you enjoy. Scent can really make it a lot more enjoyable and relaxing! Don’t make it out to be work to lather up your legs. Instead make it your own personal spa time! Relax and enjoy your ME time.

When you’re done shaving if you desire or need to (because of dry skin) apply some lotion, cream or body butter to your freshly shaved legs! It's not necessary but it can be nice to do after shaving. But if you have dry skin then use a product that works for you to moisturize your skin.

If the man in your life printed this out for you or has shown you this and you have questions ask him to post them here. I’ll do my best to answer your questions or another female from the forum can also give their feedback as well.

Happy Shaving Ladies!

7 405
 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Great article Krissy! But again... no pics Blush

88 4,233
 08-20-2012, 01:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I don't intend to shave my legs, but I still read the article! Blush
Thanks Krissy!

91 17,828
 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM
User Info
Great write-up, Krissy.
i was curious to ask, but you don't find it easier starting with the lower leg and working your way up?

75 20,883
 08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Awesome, thanks Krissy! I forwarded this to my wife.

9 408
 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-19-2012, 07:44 PM)beartrap Wrote: Great article Krissy! But again... no pics Blush

It's a little hard to photograph yourself shaving with a camera in one hand and a DE in the other. Might have to work on that....

(08-20-2012, 02:56 PM)celestino Wrote: Great write-up, Krissy.
i was curious to ask, but you don't find it easier starting with the lower leg and working your way up?
For lathering the lower leg I don't think it matters where you begin lathering. It's just easier to start at the knee area just because it's closer and then work down. But it really doesn't matter it's more about what is comfortable because the entire surface is going to get lathered eventually. But it's also about how to load the brush to build your lather.

Since we have a larger area to lather I find it necessary to go back and recharge the brush as needed while lathering the area. But also you men lather your face which is right in front of you. We have to go down a long surface are with both a right and left side that isn't close to be lathering on. Just as a test, why not try lathering up your leg sometime. Not to shave it, but just so you know what a woman goes through to lather and shave her legs for YOU and herself of course. But it's a lot different than lathering your face. LOL I have played with lathering my face but not shaving of course, but just to learn and experience what you gentleman do when lathering.

(08-20-2012, 03:57 PM)biggiej42 Wrote: Awesome, thanks Krissy! I forwarded this to my wife.
Great! If she has questions don't hesitate to post them here or drop me a PM.

7 405
 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Superb, Krissy. This thread is a real asset to the site. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Thanks Freddy. It's something I learned by the flying by the seat of my pants.

Leg lathering for women is so much different than a man for his face. So when Brian (SharpSpine) was telling me about some of the difficulties his wife was having I offered to write something up for her to help. But thought it might be best posted here so others can use it if needed. For other members who have ladies in their lives that are having trouble lathering their legs. Just because it is very different than a man shaving his face.

7 405
 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
I do it a bit different than Krissy. I bowl lather and start at the ankle and work my way up. Nothing like a big deep scuttle for nice warm lather in the winter. I use a straight so that also changes things. I make my lather the same way anyone who uses a straight would. I have played with uber lathers, and various preshave products. If your skin tends to be dry, a preshave oil adds to shave comfort and moisturizing.

1 345
 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I've ordered the Nook 1012 dirty bird scuttle so I will be adding to this once I get that and can play a little more with bowl lathering and wet shaving the leg!

Pam do you think you use more product when building your lather than a man would for their face? Just because of the larger surface area to shave?

7 405
 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 04:11 PM)krissy Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 07:44 PM)beartrap Wrote: Great article Krissy! But again... no pics Blush

It's a little hard to photograph yourself shaving with a camera in one hand and a DE in the other. Might have to work on that....

(08-20-2012, 02:56 PM)celestino Wrote: Great write-up, Krissy.
For lathering the lower leg I don't think it matters where you begin lathering. It's just easier to start at the knee area just because it's closer and then work down. But it really doesn't matter it's more about what is comfortable because the entire surface is going to get lathered eventually. But it's also about how to load the brush to build your lather.

Since we have a larger area to lather I find it necessary to go back and recharge the brush as needed while lathering the area. But also you men lather your face which is right in front of you. We have to go down a long surface are with both a right and left side that isn't close to be lathering on. Just as a test, why not try lathering up your leg sometime. Not to shave it, but just so you know what a woman goes through to lather and shave her legs for YOU and herself of course. But it's a lot different than lathering your face. LOL I have played with lathering my face but not shaving of course, but just to learn and experience what you gentleman do when lathering.

(08-20-2012, 03:57 PM)biggiej42 Wrote: Awesome, thanks Krissy! I forwarded this to my wife.
Great! If she has questions don't hesitate to post them here or drop me a PM.

* Krissy, i have already leg-lathered and shaved my legs as i bike quite a bit and in the winter, the hair can get a bit annoying so it comes off. i found it a bit more intuitive to start at the ankle and work my way up. Hee hee. i can just see most of the gents laughing at what i just said as i just realized it myself.

75 20,883
 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
For shaving or lathering working from the ankle up?

For shaving i do work from the ankle and I think most others do it that way as well. But for lathering it's a matter of what works for the shaver. I just happen to work from the knee and go down. But when I shave the upper leg I go from the knee and work up. Go figure.....

7 405
 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
User Info
No video? Heart

(08-20-2012, 05:49 PM)freddy Wrote: Superb, Krissy. This thread is a real asset to the site. Thumbsup

We actually have goils in dis club! Cool

0 554
 08-21-2012, 07:46 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-21-2012, 07:26 AM)Michael G Wrote: No video? Heart

(08-20-2012, 05:49 PM)freddy Wrote: Superb, Krissy. This thread is a real asset to the site. Thumbsup

LOL now if I lived closer to more wet shavers I might ask for some help in filming or photography help....

LOL either that or invest in a tripod. Tongue

7 405
 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 07:46 AM)krissy Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 07:26 AM)Michael G Wrote: No video? Heart

LOL now if I lived closer to more wet shavers I might ask for some help in filming or photography help....

LOL either that or invest in a tripod. Tongue

Your husband won't help?

9 2,988
 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
He's never home this time of year. He worked a 16.5 hour day yesterday. He works for a grain elevator and it's farming season! And I'm just teasin'!

I guess I could get the kids to film it. Many times I shave my legs fully dressed (with shorts) because my 8 year old daughter likes to chat with me and tell me stories.... And if I do it that way she leaves me alone when I want to take a bath! Rather than whining at the door that she wants in to talk! So it's a win-win for me!

7 405
 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 07:23 PM)krissy Wrote: I've ordered the Nook 1012 dirty bird scuttle so I will be adding to this once I get that and can play a little more with bowl lathering and wet shaving the leg!

Pam do you think you use more product when building your lather than a man would for their face? Just because of the larger surface area to shave?
Some products I use about the same amount, some would be a bit more. Shave creams are usually the ones I use more of. Most gents use an almond size dollop. For both legs and other areas, I use twice that much. I don't bother pinching pennies when it comes to shaving. The whole thing is all about pampering myself a bit. Obviously, a better product is going to go farther than something that doesn't lather well in the first place. I use several popular after shave balms and preshave treatments designed for the gents. When it comes right down to it, After shave products like PdP aren't more expensive than a good brand of body lotion. C&E Nantucket Briar lotion costs MORE per ounce than Pre de Province. I use whatever products smell good on me and agree with my body chemistry.

1 345
 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
User Info
Very well said, Pam.

(08-21-2012, 07:49 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: Some products I use about the same amount, some would be a bit more. Shave creams are usually the ones I use more of. Most gents use an almond size dollop. For both legs and other areas, I use twice that much. I don't bother pinching pennies when it comes to shaving. The whole thing is all about pampering myself a bit. Obviously, a better product is going to go farther than something that doesn't lather well in the first place. I use several popular after shave balms and preshave treatments designed for the gents. When it comes right down to it, After shave products like PdP aren't more expensive than a good brand of body lotion. C&E Nantucket Briar lotion costs MORE per ounce than Pre de Province. I use whatever products smell good on me and agree with my body chemistry.

9 1,199
 08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
User Info
Excellent post. I actually got my wife to shave her legs once with soap/brush/DE, as she was out of her nasty little disposable numbers... I built the lather in a bowl for her, gave her a basic rundown of how a DE operates. She says it was okay, but took too long for her liking. Her loss, I say.

2 362
 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
It does take more time than squeezing it out of a can, but the lather is so much better and the skin feels better as well. But it's not everyone's cup of tea.

But then I was once asked by a potential customer about my products and he went on about his brush and he said he was a wet shaver..... So I sent some samples and he couldn't believe he had to make the lather and how long it took. He didn't want to spend that much time on it. He wanted to know if I made anything that created an instant lather like out of the can but in a bar. Ummmmm least to say I suggested he stay with his can and apply it with his fancy brush since that's half of the beauty of wet shaving. The satisfaction of building your own lather!

7 405