08-24-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
I've heard more than a few people who use a brush with something like Barbasol... Puzzling, if you ask me.

2 362
 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
User Info
(08-24-2012, 03:35 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: I've heard more than a few people who use a brush with something like Barbasol... Puzzling, if you ask me.

I admit to whipping Ivory into a lather with a boar brush once. (OK, maybe twice Blush) As for the Barbasol, I suppose the brush spreads the canned goop around.....

(08-24-2012, 02:24 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: Excellent post. I actually got my wife to shave her legs once with soap/brush/DE, as she was out of her nasty little disposable numbers... I built the lather in a bowl for her, gave her a basic rundown of how a DE operates. She says it was okay, but took too long for her liking. Her loss, I say.
To speed things up, a shave stick and skin lathering, and some practice. Mostly practice.

1 346
 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM
User Info
I just wanted to type a few words about ingrown hairs and such. I am prone to ingrowns on my inner and back of the thighs. I use a XTG (across the grain, from side to side) stroke on these areas. Women tend to do a 1 pass, ATG (against the grain, from the ankle upward) shave, followed by a bit of touch up if needed. There is sure nothing wrong with that method. If XTG shaving doesn't help, try WTG (with the grain, downward toward the ankle) strokes. Your first few shaves with the DE, SE, or straight razor, may produce some unhappy skin. This WILL get better with continued use. I have far less shave related skin issues now than even when I used an electric razor. We use the same mantra as the gentlemen wetshavers....go slow, no pressure on the razor, let the razor do the work. I don't mind a PM from any ladies or gentlemen with questions or wanting more info.

1 346
 08-26-2012, 09:14 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-24-2012, 03:35 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: I admit to whipping Ivory into a lather with a boar brush once. (OK, maybe twice Blush)

I've done the same things multiple times. And when many artisan shaving soaps are formulated just like bath soap with more castor oil and clay for slip. How on earth do those soaps get good reviews! I did that the other night with a batch of bastile soap my friend made! I lathered my face for the fun of it and used a mirror to look at the lather. I lathered one cheek and when I was lathering the other cheek the lather was already dissipating and was gone. So I relathered that cheek and when I was done the lather on the other cheek was already almost gone! I just don't understand how they can say their customers love the soap and what the lather provides! Okay off my soap box now. But that still doesn't stop me from lathering up various bath soaps just to see the lather from them. I'm not right in the head I already know that....

(08-24-2012, 04:41 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: To speed things up, a shave stick and skin lathering, and some practice. Mostly practice.

That's why I also like to use a puck as a shave stick. It has a larger surface area than a shave stick but still functions the same way!

7 405
 08-26-2012, 12:00 PM
User Info
Yeahhhhh but I still enjoy loading the brush, making the lather, picking out an AS, and spending time with ME! Biggrin

1 346
 08-26-2012, 12:24 PM
User Info
(08-26-2012, 09:14 AM)krissy Wrote: And when many artisan shaving soaps are formulated just like bath soap with more castor oil and clay for slip. How on earth do those soaps get good reviews!

So clay actually destroys a good lather, or is it just the bad soap formulation?

1 168
 08-26-2012, 12:28 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
it's not the clay that is the problem, but so many soapmakers think if you add clay to a bath soap recipe it magically makes it shaving soap.

It's the whole recipe that makes a difference and the two are as different as night and day! You can make really good shaving soap without clay if you know what your doing. I just happen to like adding it in just because.... well I can. But it really doesn't need it.

7 405
 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
You tell, Ms. Krissy! [Image: whip.gif]

2 11,211
 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Most interesting thread. I'm still trying to picture my wife using a straight razor on her legs. Not a pretty picture.

She does use one of those disposable razors (not sure which brand) and every once in a while will use the brush I gave her and some MWF to build a nice lather.

178 23,833
 09-19-2012, 03:48 AM
User Info
A straight speeds up the leg shaving too. About 3xs the cutting area makes a difference!

1 346
 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
Thanks so much for this! I'm still pretty new to wet shaving and there isn't a lot of advice out there about legs.

I still need to work on my lathering skills, but hopefully with practice...

0 26
 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 01:12 PM)Faelan Wrote: Thanks so much for this! I'm still pretty new to wet shaving and there isn't a lot of advice out there about legs.

I still need to work on my lathering skills, but hopefully with practice...

Hiya! Your legs are gonna thank you for coming over to the better side of shaving. Biggrin You can always PM with questions if you'd like.

1 346
 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
User Info
This might sound a bit unorthodox, but hopefully not for these day, but i just used my Muhle R101 2010 open-comb with my Vie-Long Zurrito natural horse-hair brush for a great leg shave, today. i cycle to work and find the shaved legs eliminate the discomfort due to the 3/4 synthetic pants rubbing along the legs. i can not even imagine using the disposables for the shaves as this is a fantastic method of doing it. i am doubly fortunate as i get to do it on my face also. Hee hee.
Enjoy, ladies.

83 21,098
 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 08:50 PM)celestino Wrote: This might sound a bit unorthodox, but hopefully not for these day, but i just used my Muhle R101 2010 open-comb with my Vie-Long Zurrito natural horse-hair brush for a great leg shave, today. i cycle to work and find the shaved legs eliminate the discomfort due to the 3/4 synthetic pants rubbing along the legs. i can not even imagine using the disposables for the shaves as this is a fantastic method of doing it. i am doubly fortunate as i get to do it on my face also. Hee hee.
Enjoy, ladies.
Guys today shave all kinds of areas. Male models, athletes, body builders, and others, trim or do a complete body shave. Once upon a time, face shaving with a DE by movie star divas was considered a beauty treatment. Let's face it...peach fuzz didn't look good on the big screen in close up camera shots.

1 346
 01-10-2016, 10:38 AM
User Info
Maybe I can convince my wife.  The soap I make her is almost like lotion though so i'm not sure she will sitch over

0 171
 01-10-2016, 03:05 PM
User Info
My wife is a wetshaver now. Vintage Lady Gillette and Ginger's Garden Flower Grenade tallow soap and balm, Rubberset 79 badger brush. She likes Feather blades.

I've worked with her in making lather properly, I'll have to show her this thread to help her some more.

2 342
 01-15-2016, 04:34 AM
User Info
Thanks for the writeup, I forwarded the article to my wife. Hopefully she bites!

80 947