09-03-2017, 06:41 PM
User Info
IF you follow Charcoal Goods on Facebook, you would have seen a post dated September 01, 2017 with a photo and THIS caption:

First pallets of shop equipment arrived today. Big shout out to fedex freight for easy delivery! busy weekend ahead uncrating this stuff.

49 418
 09-03-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
(09-03-2017, 06:41 PM)akbkr23 Wrote: IF you follow Charcoal Goods on Facebook, you would have seen a post dated September 01, 2017 with a photo and THIS caption:

First pallets of shop equipment arrived today. Big shout out to fedex freight for easy delivery! busy weekend ahead uncrating this stuff.

Awesome!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 958
 09-04-2017, 01:40 PM
User Info
(09-03-2017, 01:08 PM)Viseguy Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 07:18 PM)Wanderer66 Wrote: For those interested I posted an email I got from Brian pertaining to how to keep the original finish on the razor over in the how to clear coat a Charcoal Goods razor.  Just thought I'd give anyone following this thread a heads up about the email that's over in that thread if you are concerned on how to maintain or preserve the finish on your razor. ...

Here's a link to Wanderer66's email from Brian.

For what it's worth, I have a Charcoal Goods long copper handle which I'd like to develop a natural patina. I don't use soap on the handle, but I do rinse it after shaving and rub (not pat) it dry with a towel pretty vigorously. After eight months of use (in a rotation of about five razors), I've noticed very little change in the handle's appearance. So it seems that the original Renaissance Wax coating is pretty resilient.

I've decided that's what I'm doing. Give it a coat of wax now and then and let the patina do it's own things. I do blot it dry though as Brian mentioned he does with his daily shavers.

0 135
 09-04-2017, 03:13 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
My impression that a both wax and clear coat will inhibit patina (if wrong - please correct me)
Allow the razor to patina to your liking and then wax and/or clear coat.

5 428
 09-05-2017, 08:30 AM
User Info
Read from the bottom up.  Brian is a class act and this should answer some of the questions about the move and when new razors will be available.

George,
Thanks so much for the understanding and the support! I do hope that people understand how difficult it is to move both a household and a manufacturing business across the country. Yes, feel free to post the info the TSN and tell people that if they have sent me an email that I have not responded to, just send another one. I have hundreds of messages in my inbox that I'm still sorting through that I could not respond to with just a smartphone and while dealing with the stress of the move.

~Brian

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM, George Hughes <george@blhconsulting.net> wrote:
Brian,
You are the man and we are all patient for quality razors like yours.  Congrats again on the new shop and we will all be waiting for the new stuff to hit.  Do you mind if I post your response on the Shave Nook under the Charcoal Goods forum section?
Thanks,
George

George M. Hughes, Jr.
(404)313-2099
george@blhconsulting.com

On Sep 5, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Charcoal Goods <info@charcoalgoods.com> wrote:

Hi George,
Sadly no ETA just yet. I'm thinking closer to the end of September before I'll have anything new. Everything it taking longer then I would like. I might have power in the new shop in the next day or two but I'm not holding my breath on that one. The first of the new machines did arrive on Friday and it is a milling machine that will be used to make the razor heads. So, once I get power to it and finalize the installation process I can get to work. It's is a very expensive and heavy paperweight currently.

The first new products out of the shop will be brass top caps and brass baseplates (level-2 all comb types) so I hope that will make you happy. During this downtime I did make some minor improvements to the top cap design so think that will be nice. It is backwards compatible with all previous razor heads too. nothing that most people will notice, but an improvement in my opinion at least.

As frustrating as it is I am making a bit of progress each day. My office if most of the way unpacked, we have internet, and I'm starting to ship orders from my remaining inventory. Now it's just a matter of the new shop build out and getting that equipment ready to make some new razors! hurry up and wait!

take care,
~Brian

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 11:19 AM, George Hughes <george@blhconsulting.net> wrote:
Hey Brian,

Patiently waiting for you to get up and running at the new shop.  Congrats on that!  Any word on availability of new DC Level 2 razors yet?

Thanks,

George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 958
 09-22-2017, 09:33 PM
User Info
I meant to post this last week.

The Charcoal Goods handles fit my Pils razor head. Totally different razors and the Pils head is mighty heavy compared to the CG handles I have but they work together for a unique shave.

I imagine the bomber handle would be cool on the Pils head.

I do prefer the level 2 CG head to the Pils though for performance.

10 1,460
 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM
User Info
I bought one from westcoastshaving last summer in antique brass and it never came to me. After 2 months I got a refund but only for the razor and not for shipping cost which was 30usd

0 82
 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(10-05-2017, 11:41 AM)Vadimdon Wrote: I bought one from westcoastshaving last summer in antique brass and it never came to me. After 2 months I got a refund but only for the razor and not for shipping cost which was 30usd

From my understanding, you purchased a razor designed by Charcoal Goods (Brian).  The razor was made by someone(not Charcoal Goods) in the US for westcoastshaving.  

I would review the refund or return policy.  If the shipment was lost in transit, policy may state "refund of product" only.

Charcoal Goods shop should be back open soon.  Buy direct - great razors.

5 428
 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-05-2017, 12:32 PM)SCOV Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 11:41 AM)Vadimdon Wrote: I bought one from westcoastshaving last summer in antique brass and it never came to me. After 2 months I got a refund but only for the razor and not for shipping cost which was 30usd

From my understanding, you purchased a razor designed by Charcoal Goods (Brian).  The razor was made by someone(not Charcoal Goods) in the US for westcoastshaving.  

You're referring to the stainless steel model. WCS used to sell CG brass razors as well.

49 2,019
 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM
User Info
So what’s happening with Charcoal Goods? I thought he was going to be back up in September? Is he having set backs?

2 465
 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM
  • Nelenea
  • North Mississippi
User Info
I too keep checking and wanting him to produce more products.  Wanting a Level 2 in antique.

0 28
 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM
User Info
Patiently waiting for a Level 2 dual comb.

0 958
 10-20-2017, 04:15 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
No small task moving a shop and starting over in a new building. I'm sure he is cranking away round the clock.

61 4,641
 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM
User Info
Just to let everyone know, Brian just emailed me to let me know that Level 2 baseplates are up for sale on his website now along with top caps. I just bought a dual comb level 2 a few minutes ago. He said he made a ton so they probably won’t be sold out anytime soon. I still would not wait to get yours as I know a ton of folks that have been waiting on these.

0 958
 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM
User Info
I am still on the fence with the CG razor but if I pull the trigger it will probably be the level 3 closed comb.

10 169
 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
(11-19-2017, 06:47 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I am still on the fence with the CG razor but if I pull the trigger it will probably be the level 3 closed comb.

Yeah, I’ll probably get he Level 3 dual comb too.

0 958
 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM
User Info
I’m waiting for SS. I love my level 2 OC antique brass though.

9 115
 11-19-2017, 10:05 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Charcoal Goods has a complete SS Level 1 razor in stock.  That was my first CG razor - reminded me of the Guerrilla - mild and efficient.  Plus the 3.5' (89mm) handle

5 428
 11-19-2017, 10:31 PM
User Info
I’m worried the level 1 would be too mild. Lvl2 really works for me.

Has there been any design changes in the cap or baseplate design? My lvl2 brass is a pretty early model (#14) and I didn’t want to pick up a non-fitting baseplate.

9 115
 11-22-2017, 05:52 AM
User Info
The ‘Master’ set ( purchased all 3 baseplates- every item sold individually though) has been ordered in Antique Brass. I’ve waited for quite a while to purchase a level 2 Antique Charcoal Goods razor. I own a level 1 CG razor in Stainless, it’s a nice looking razor but a bit mild for my preference. The Antique Brass material looks stunning and might be the last razor a purchase for a while. I’m not saying it’ll be the final razor I ever acquire ( that sentiment might change next week lol) but it’s the final razor currently on the market that I’ve wanted to include in the den. It seems that many people on the Nook love their CG razors, I believe it’ll shave beautifully.

16 696