10-06-2019, 01:41 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
To overcome the weight and balance problems of the Charcoal Goods Vertigo, today the Frankenrazor Mario (formally M4R1o) Carbone is born.
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid932751

At the 32g Gen1 Level2 brass head, the Maggard Razors MR14 90mm aluminum handle with its 26g offers good balance.
The scale shows 58g (less than half the original weight), with a center of gravity slightly above the center of the handle.
This is due to the good balance, slightly shifted on the head (55%) which makes this chimera even more efficient.
Unfortunately, nothing can do against geometry, singing and therefore more aggressive.
Perhaps the Gen1 Level1 version would be more balanced, but I am not convinced since it has in common the same arch of the fermalama (topcap).

Also thanks to the rest of the instruments, chosen to maximize comfort, the result was three passages and absolutely pleasant touch-ups.
Both the synthetic brush (absolutely sweet compared to the late and leathery BdB ilRasoio 2019), and above all the magnificent trio G&G Grooming (true trident of attack of the formation), have contributed substantially to comfort.
Easy, intuitive, overall efficiency decidedly better than the original with Vertigo handle (which is superb, however !!).

Tomorrow is the last test with some small additional steps.

0 1,855
 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Today is the last use of the Charcoal Goods G1 L2
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid932889
... and there's the tail-end !!!
Heart Heart Heart 

The changes made compared to yesterday are:
• new blade
• ultra soft brush
• substantial increase in accessory support

I start by saying that CG LVL2, as I wrote in the discussion, I do not think we can consider it a daily shaver.
http://ilrasoio.com/viewtopic.php?p=335409#p335409

Although much improved in this conformation Frankenrazor Mario Carbone, the geometry of the head is that.
The DNA is of a different animal than my preferences: more roars than purrs!!
But in the right situation, with the right knowledge, it's an absolutely fantastic tool.
Cool Cool Cool 

The excess of consumables wealth has maximized the skin conditioning function.
The brush gently caressed, also producing the best lather that the excellent soap can produce.
The maximum smoothness of the new blade ... coupled with careful management of the technique ... did the rest.
Result hoped for, searched for and precisely targeted: a damn perfect shave.

Only problem, which I normally get it with setup that is more congenial to me ... without all these efforts.
Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

0 1,855
 10-09-2019, 04:37 PM
User Info
Tonight I pulled out my SS level 1 on the CG prism handle. Super smooth 3 pass shave. I can’t say enough good things about Charcoal goods, to me they are the best looking , most unique razors that shave fantastic.

30 579
 10-10-2019, 03:39 PM
User Info
Not only a brilliant shaver at any of the 3 levels; CG is also one of the most aesthetically pleasing razors out there too...

Copper Base Plate
SS Top Cap 
SS Torpedo Handle

[Image: IlX0J3p.jpg]

1 15
 10-10-2019, 06:02 PM
User Info
I would have to concur with the sentiments expressed, here, as well. These are excellent shavers. I greatly enjoy my Brass Level 3 OC. 

[Image: IfUV6N.jpg]

91 21,284
 10-23-2019, 10:40 AM
User Info
Looking for a bit of advice...

Yesterday I received my first CG razor, a brass level 2 gen 2 (SB).  I haven't been this excited about a new razor since I got my first Wolfman WR1 a few years back.  However, I was a bit disappointed with the first shave with it this morning.  It felt very mild to me and I wasn't able to get as close of a shave as I would like even after 4 passes.  The past few months I've been using a Game Changer .84 OC and GC Jaws, both of which get me extremely close without sacrificing comfort.  

I don't typically go for SB/CC and find I prefer OC designs, which wasn't a choice now that CG has discontinued the OC versions.  I have to shave every day, so while I don't mind an aggressive razor I also don't want something that takes a crazy amount of concentration.  Is there much of a difference between the level 2 CC and OC versions?  Should I bother trying to find a level 2 OC or should I go straight for the level 3 SB and/or OC?  From reading through these threads the level 3 seems to be either a love it or hate it kind of thing.

11 419
 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM
User Info
(10-23-2019, 10:40 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Looking for a bit of advice...

Yesterday I received my first CG razor, a brass level 2 gen 2 (SB).  I haven't been this excited about a new razor since I got my first Wolfman WR1 a few years back.  However, I was a bit disappointed with the first shave with it this morning.  It felt very mild to me and I wasn't able to get as close of a shave as I would like even after 4 passes.  The past few months I've been using a Game Changer .84 OC and GC Jaws, both of which get me extremely close without sacrificing comfort.  

I don't typically go for SB/CC and find I prefer OC designs, which wasn't a choice now that CG has discontinued the OC versions.  I have to shave every day, so while I don't mind an aggressive razor I also don't want something that takes a crazy amount of concentration.  Is there much of a difference between the level 2 CC and OC versions?  Should I bother trying to find a level 2 OC or should I go straight for the level 3 SB and/or OC?  From reading through these threads the level 3 seems to be either a love it or hate it kind of thing.

I would highly recommend level 3 which will give you a close and comfortable shave. That extra blade gap (what ever it is) makes a big difference. Since you have a complete razor all you need is a L3 bottom plate.

148 14,322
 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM
User Info

Go Level 3 DC. You will not be disappointed

5 254
 10-23-2019, 04:05 PM
User Info

I have a dual comb level 3 version 1 and a SB level 3 version 2. The version 2 is definitely smoother as a daily driver and is a definite step up from level 2.

30 579
 10-24-2019, 06:58 AM
User Info
Thank you for the replies.  This morning I threw in a fresh Polsilver and tried a heavier handle to see if there was any improvement on the level 2 SB baseplate with a sharper blade (yesterday used a Voskhod and 40g titanium handle).  Results were slightly better, but took quite a bit of effort and still isn't as close as I like to be.  I'm thinking this level 2 SB is just too mild for my preferences.  I was able to find a level 2 OC which is on its way, but I have a suspicion I will need the level 3.  Please let me know if anyone has one they are willing to part ways with (preferably brass).

11 419
 10-24-2019, 07:21 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(10-24-2019, 06:58 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Thank you for the replies.  This morning I threw in a fresh Polsilver and tried a heavier handle to see if there was any improvement on the level 2 SB baseplate with a sharper blade (yesterday used a Voskhod and 40g titanium handle).  Results were slightly better, but took quite a bit of effort and still isn't as close as I like to be.  I'm thinking this level 2 SB is just too mild for my preferences.  I was able to find a level 2 OC which is on its way, but I have a suspicion I will need the level 3.  Please let me know if anyone has one they are willing to part ways with (preferably brass).

I have the level 2 OC & SB. I think the OC is a little more efficient than the SB. I would say it’s similar to timeless 95 OC or maybe a little more efficient. It’s also more efficient than my Wolfman 61 OC.

3 703
 10-25-2019, 07:41 AM
User Info
One of my favorite shaves is with a CG brass Level 3 OC with hammered magnum handle.  I have had shaves with other razors that can equal it(Muhle R41, the Futur, the ATT H1 and H2) but none that can beat it.

1 519
 10-27-2019, 06:41 AM
User Info
(10-24-2019, 07:21 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 06:58 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Thank you for the replies.  This morning I threw in a fresh Polsilver and tried a heavier handle to see if there was any improvement on the level 2 SB baseplate with a sharper blade (yesterday used a Voskhod and 40g titanium handle).  Results were slightly better, but took quite a bit of effort and still isn't as close as I like to be.  I'm thinking this level 2 SB is just too mild for my preferences.  I was able to find a level 2 OC which is on its way, but I have a suspicion I will need the level 3.  Please let me know if anyone has one they are willing to part ways with (preferably brass).

I have the level 2 OC & SB. I think the OC is a little more efficient than the SB. I would say it’s similar to timeless 95 OC or maybe a little more efficient. It’s also more efficient than my Wolfman 61 OC.

I agree, for me the Level 2 aggressiveness is on par with with the Timeless .95 baseplates. I’m not thrilled about the additional maintenance of any of my brass razors. Even with thorough drying and Renaissance wax I still get some water spotting. However, it may just be the water in my area.

3 68
 10-27-2019, 08:06 AM
User Info
(10-27-2019, 06:41 AM)TJ19 Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 07:21 PM)DayMan Wrote:

I agree, for me the Level 2 aggressiveness is on par with with the Timeless .95 baseplates. I’m not thrilled about the additional maintenance of any of my brass razors. Even with thorough drying and Renaissance wax I still get some water spotting. However, it may just be the water in my area.

I spent some time yesterday forcing a patina on 2 brass and bronze handles I just received. I love the look of antiqued metals, gives them character. But I understand the frustration if that’s not the look you’re going for.

11 419
 11-01-2019, 07:54 AM
User Info
First shave this morning with the level 2 OC.  Significantly easier shave for me than the level 2 SB.  OCs seem to work better for me in general, in fact the CG lvl 2 SB was the first SB I've bought in probably 5 years or so.  I would still classify it as more on the mild end of the spectrum, at least compared to what I prefer.  But I think after experimenting with some sharper blades this is one I can get a long with.

[Image: wTjvTuc.jpg]

[Image: wvVDZ1u.jpg]

11 419
 11-07-2019, 02:47 AM
User Info
(11-01-2019, 07:54 AM)molon_labe Wrote: First shave this morning with the level 2 OC.  Significantly easier shave for me than the level 2 SB.  OCs seem to work better for me in general, in fact the CG lvl 2 SB was the first SB I've bought in probably 5 years or so.  I would still classify it as more on the mild end of the spectrum, at least compared to what I prefer.  But I think after experimenting with some sharper blades this is one I can get a long with.

Those are gorgeous. I am skeptic of the maintenance of brass and copper razors, but I love the ridged top caps! Are those TiBam handles?

Curious if you are okay with the Level 2 OC or feel you still need to go with the Level 3.

1 23
 11-07-2019, 03:17 AM
User Info
(11-07-2019, 02:47 AM)Zhang Doe Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 07:54 AM)molon_labe Wrote: First shave this morning with the level 2 OC.  Significantly easier shave for me than the level 2 SB.  OCs seem to work better for me in general, in fact the CG lvl 2 SB was the first SB I've bought in probably 5 years or so.  I would still classify it as more on the mild end of the spectrum, at least compared to what I prefer.  But I think after experimenting with some sharper blades this is one I can get a long with.

Those are gorgeous. I am skeptic of the maintenance of brass and copper razors, but I love the ridged top caps! Are those TiBam handles?

Curious if you are okay with the Level 2 OC or feel you still need to go with the Level 3.

Thank you and yes they are TiBam New York handles made to 80mm. The one on the CG is brass and the one on the RR Jaws is bronze. Both have a forced patina on them. If you like brass/copper when it’s bright and shiny they can be a pain to maintain, but if you keep up with it it’s not so bad. A little soapy water will renew the finish. If you let it go too long, a few minutes soaking in vinegar will restore it to new condition. But IMO one of the appeals is how they age and take on character with more use.

Honestly I’ve only used the lvl 2 OC one additional time since this post. The Jaws gives me a much better shave with less effort, but I’m still on the hunt for a level 3 OC plate. I think level 2 would probably be in the wheelhouse for most people.

11 419
 11-10-2019, 06:00 AM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
I’ve been on a tear as of late using a Charcoal Goods SS in both L2 & L3 base plates for the past few shaves (on loan from a forum shave member). Shaves have been superb with good blade feel yet a relative smoothness with both plates. The L3 is basically an R41 like type shave (2011 version) only better with just a softer touch but still wickedly efficient. The craftsmanship is exquisitely good and quality that is second to none. Great shaver......

[Image: UPOe495.jpg]

1 291
 11-11-2019, 07:06 AM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
Well, time to put one on the future acquisitions list. I’ve already decided on a Timeless as I sampled the .95 SS in a pass around about 2 weeks ago. And now, this beaut has me wrapped up around it’s gorgeous handle. Just an excellent performer from start to finish. It feels good on the skin with the L2 and just a tad bit more blade feel with the L3 but, never intimidating or harsh. The L2 would be my daily if I had to just live with one but, the L3 can also be a daily just a softer touch would be required for my skin. On a couple of days growth, the L3 is a samurai of the highest order. Efficient with laser like cutting prowess. I will miss this set up once I get it packed up again and ship it back to it’s owner. Awesome razor......

[Image: YqezRgM.jpg]

1 291