05-04-2017, 06:21 PM
User Info
I have been reading many post shave routines and noticed that more times than not, if a face moisturizer is used, it is used after the witch hazel and aftershave. Why is this?

My issue is that I like the scent of my aftershaves and some last a long time. I have not tried the above yet, so I would like the opinions and facts of using witch hazel, face moisturizer, then an aftershave after the moisturizer has dried sufficiently.

My final question for this thread is, has anyone used Jack Black Face Moisture and price aside (I know it is considered overpriced), how do people feel about the performance of this product?

Thank you all,
Don

0 11
 05-04-2017, 07:32 PM
User Info
(05-04-2017, 06:21 PM)Dchalfy Wrote: I have been reading many post shave routines and noticed that more times than not, if a face moisturizer is used, it is used after the witch hazel and aftershave. Why is this?

My issue is that I like the scent of my aftershaves and some last a long time. I have not tried the above yet, so I would like the opinions and facts of using witch hazel, face moisturizer, then an aftershave after the moisturizer has dried sufficiently.

My final question for this thread is, has anyone used Jack Black Face Moisture and price aside (I know it is considered overpriced), how do people feel about the performance of this product?

Thank you all,
Don

The Thayers witch hazel is great for soothing any razor burn after the shave. I then use any of my rotation of moisturizer afterward. I heard that Jack Black was a really good product. I will have to try it some time. I'm currently using Earl Grey by Reef Point which is fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 149
 05-04-2017, 08:47 PM
User Info
My answer can't address your question about the Jack Black product. But, when it comes to the order of which you should apply more than one product after your final rinse has to do with consistency and thickness. You want your face to absorb the product so you can go from thin to thick.

It could go like witch hazel, alcohol aftershave, then finish with balm or butter. If you apply something thick that may take longer to absorb fully into your skin, then to apply something right after may not be absorbing into the skin. Witch hazel luckily is cheap, works well on razor burn and disinfects. You can apply anything after witch hazel in my opinion.

Do what works well for you and experiment a bit but my suggestion is do the alcohol aftershave before a balm like product. That will moisturize your skin so let it be the last product on your skin.

77 1,244
 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
For my post-shave recovery, I do this:

Several face rinsings, decreasing the water temperature, each time
Simple Facial Wash, with cool-to-cold water
Suave Skin Lotion (Moisturiser) 
Alum Block
Rinse off Alum, once it has dried
Proraso Pre-&Post-Shave Cream 
Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave Balm
Proraso Aftershave Tonic 

This leaves my face feeling great.

0 307
 05-08-2017, 12:38 AM
User Info
I am not personally keen to use too many post shave products.

I would rather stick to 2 to 3 things among those below, depending of how the weather looks like ...
- Thayer any kind
- After shave with a bit of alcohol (Myrsol like)
- Balm
- Aloe vera gel if the shave was to aggressive ( test new blade or new razor LOL)

Aloe Vera in gel is really a must

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

0 17
 05-08-2017, 04:54 AM
User Info
I agree with Zac. Going from thin to thick makes sense and works for me. For example, if I tried to put a Fine splash on after my balm, it rolls off and I feel like I'm doing too much. Whereas if the splash comes after a toner/ witch hazel, the product can work more for you than just a fragrance.

Regarding Jack Black products, I think they're all terrific. However, I don't use them in my shaving routine. I use the glycolic acid lotion in in between days to reduce ingrowns and reduce some chronic dark spots. While I like JB, I think many of the other niche, artisan or foreign products we have available are better for shaving.

$. 02

11 76
 05-08-2017, 08:40 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've never seen the need to use witch hazel, a balm or a moisturiser after shaving.  My routine for the last 50 years has been to rinse with warm water, dry and apply an alcohol-based aftershave; works like a charm and leaves my face feeling clean and invigorated.

5 842
 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
As said already, you go from thin to thick because it's logical.
If you want the scent from the aftershave as final step, apply some of it again as final step to your neck, back of head where I apply my fragrance as final step in my process.

I don't use After shave for much more than a short scent trail and to sooth my skin. For my scent of the day I use an EDT/EDP/EDC sprayed on neck, chest and my arms.

24 5,617
 05-08-2017, 02:37 PM
User Info
alcohol is a diuretic.  it should be used before the emollient (humectant).  if the order is inverted, the benefits will be canceled somewhat.  

try using a balm without scent.  

but at the end of the day, do whatever you like to do... 

and let us know! maybe some of us end up changing our routines... ;-)

0 411
 05-09-2017, 09:46 AM
User Info
(05-08-2017, 02:37 PM)carlospppena Wrote: alcohol is a diuretic.  it should be used before the emollient (humectant).  if the order is inverted, the benefits will be canceled somewhat.  

So if I understand you use an alcoholic aftershave after shaving, and than balm - and why not Thayers in between?

0 17
 05-09-2017, 10:13 AM
User Info

0 411
 05-09-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 09:46 AM)Mohican Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 02:37 PM)carlospppena Wrote: alcohol is a diuretic.  it should be used before the emollient (humectant).  if the order is inverted, the benefits will be canceled somewhat.  

So if I understand you use an alcoholic aftershave after shaving, and than balm - and why not Thayers in between?

I have rose and cucumber thayers. I use it some times. But the truth is that i tend to gravitate toward the after shaves that have both: alcohol and hamamelis. Btw, that is the way i mix my own aftershave. Examples are all the asylum aftershaves which are in my front row right now.

But the naked trurh is that i am addicted to the alcohol burn. I wake up early for that!

0 411
 05-09-2017, 10:40 AM
User Info
Many aftershaves already have witch hazel in them, so why would you then need to add another witch hazel product?  Also it doesn't seem to make sense to me to use say a moisturizer and then a post-shave product.  It would seem to minimize many of the restorative ingredients of the aftershave.  Then again I really don't get these multi-stage post-shave procedures.  I either use a splash or a balm and then some moisturizer (for my whole face) but only because its cold here, it contains SPF, and I have dry skin.  Sometimes during the summer, I'll just use the aftershave.

83 1,482
 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 10:40 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Many aftershaves already have witch hazel in them, so why would you then need to add another witch hazel product?  Also it doesn't seem to make sense to me to use say a moisturizer and then a post-shave product.  It would seem to minimize many of the restorative ingredients of the aftershave.  Then again I really don't get these multi-stage post-shave procedures.  I either use a splash or a balm and then some moisturizer (for my whole face) but only because its cold here, it contains SPF, and I have dry skin.  Sometimes during the summer, I'll just use the aftershave.

Thanks a lot for your comments & advices - you have now in the US many good artisans producing AS with alcohol and witch hazel - unfortunately we can import them anymore due to restriction on shipping alcohol base products Sad

0 17
 05-09-2017, 11:42 AM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 11:05 AM)Mohican Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 10:40 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Many aftershaves already have witch hazel in them, so why would you then need to add another witch hazel product?  Also it doesn't seem to make sense to me to use say a moisturizer and then a post-shave product.  It would seem to minimize many of the restorative ingredients of the aftershave.  Then again I really don't get these multi-stage post-shave procedures.  I either use a splash or a balm and then some moisturizer (for my whole face) but only because its cold here, it contains SPF, and I have dry skin.  Sometimes during the summer, I'll just use the aftershave.

Thanks a lot for your comments & advices - you have now in the US many good artisans producing AS with alcohol and witch hazel - unfortunately we can import them anymore due to restriction on shipping alcohol base products Sad

Personally I don't like using alcohol-based aftershaves, but even products like Proraso and Speick have witch hazel in them.  Its not just exclusive to US artisans.

83 1,482
 05-20-2017, 07:31 AM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
(05-07-2017, 01:58 PM)Quando Wrote: For my post-shave recovery, I do this:

Several face rinsings, decreasing the water temperature, each time
Simple Facial Wash, with cool-to-cold water
Suave Skin Lotion (Moisturiser) 
Alum Block
Rinse off Alum, once it has dried
Proraso Pre-&Post-Shave Cream 
Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave Balm
Proraso Aftershave Tonic 

This leaves my face feeling great.

I, now, go thin-to-thick.  First tonic, then balm, next cream, and, finally, the Suave Lotion.  

I, also, reapply the tonic after the lotion, and, again, after I brush my teeth.

0 307
 05-21-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info

I have always used a face tonic on my entire face as part of the first step after the shave.
It cleans the skin and soothes the little irritation after the shave, though I seem to get very little post shave skin irritation the last couple of years, I still love using skin tonic after the splash of cold water just after the shave, then I apply after shave.

24 5,617
 05-21-2017, 07:57 PM
User Info
My post shave routine.

---------
WINTER
Splash of cold water

Thayers applied with cotton ball to entire face

After shave splash
After shave balm, a thicker one

Moisturiser cream
Wrinkle cream
Eye cream

Fragrance du jour (EDT or EDP)

DONE
---------

SUMMER
Splash of cold water

Thayers applied with cotton ball to entire face

After shave splash
After shave balm, a lighter one

Moisturiser gel
Wrinkle cream gel
Eye cream gel

Fragrance du jour (EDT or EDC)

DONE
---------

24 5,617
 Yesterday, 07:14 AM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 10:14 AM)carlospppena Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 09:46 AM)Mohican Wrote: But the naked trurh is that i am addicted to the alcohol burn. I wake up early for that!

Signs011  Completely agree... I love the burn. For my .002 in the thread. I use Myrsol emulsion as a pre-shave. After the shave I rinse hot/warm 1st, then cold 2nd. I usually skip the alum and go right for the floids blue just for the sting. If I feel the shave was too aggressive or I may have irritation I will follow the floids a few minutes later after it dries own its own or with some slight towel waving with some more myrsol or even some GFT Skin food.

3 69