05-05-2017, 04:15 PM
User Info
Hi guys, I've got a few years of wetshaving under my belt but until now I never bought a used brush on a BST.  Just snagged a beaut (for a song!) and now Im asking the obvious question:

How do you guys wash a used brush before using?

I'm thinking: lather it up with antibacterial soap, then shampoo and rinse.

What say ye...?

11 973
 05-05-2017, 04:41 PM
User Info
That's basically what I do, a good lathering with Dawn antibacterial, rinse, another lather with Dawn, and then soak in the soapy water. After about 20 minutes, I rinse the brush and let it soak in a 20% white vinegar solution for about a half hour. Then a good shampooing (rinse, lather repeat), and good to go.

23 632
 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM
User Info
I bought a tub of brush soap. I don't think it's necessary to get a special product though. It is good stuff.

I usually treat it like a brand new brush. I'm sensitive to smells so I probably do more defunking with new brushes than most guys do.

Several lathers and drying in between. First one could be dish soap or antibacterial soap but going overboard with dish soap can be tough for the hair in shaving brushes. Usually a soap I don't use much and is stronger scented. Prorasso or whatever is on hand.

I like to do a few lathers and rinses and allow my brushes to dry completely. With a used brush I'll generally do this at least two days in a row and then let it dry for two or three days. For some reason I am of the thought that thorough drying can do as much to kill any cooties as antibacterial soap could. 

I don't have conditioner in my bathroom because I keep my hair, what's left of it, very short with clippers. I do use the wife's conditioner occasionally on a new brush or new to me brush after an intense cleaning sometimes to be safe in case I went especially hard with any soap other than shaving soap. Dish soap has detergents in it and I don't want to leave the knot brittle prior to actually using it. 

My feeling/hope is that generally someone selling a nice shaving brush second hand who has been around for a while, I think has taken very good care of their gear and wouldn't be selling a brush in the first place that hasn't been treated appropriately while used. 

If I ever had a brush drop in the toilet I wouldn't offer it to anyone else for sale. Likewise if I was to have a catastrophic shaving accident and somehow get gobs of blood onto my brush I also would never offer it for sale afterwards. 

At the end of the day it's in contact with soap more than anything aside from water. Generally I'm looking for shedding more than cooties. 

Again though. I ensure that I allow my new brush to totally dry after being cleaned out before using it. 

A few rounds with shaving cream or soap prior to use is most likely sufficient I think.

9 1,407
 05-05-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
Dish soap or shampoo lathering and a thorough warm water rinse for me.  Haven't developed any adverse affects so far!

73 4,303
 05-05-2017, 08:31 PM
User Info
That's what I figured.  Thanks gents!

11 973
 05-05-2017, 10:20 PM
User Info
I would just clean it thoroughly with Dawn.

50 6,050
 05-06-2017, 06:26 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Antibacterial soap, then a shampoo. Rinse and then a soak in vinegar/water mix. I then just rinse with water.

75 1,310
 05-06-2017, 08:25 AM
User Info
If you think about (not to be gross); there should be no blood pathogens and if anything it may have mold or mildew (doubtful). A simple wash in Dawn (blue) should be sufficient.

0 596
 05-21-2017, 06:30 PM
User Info
Drying a brush may not be enough:  https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/209...-for-Weeks  

Hydrogen Peroxide seems to be useful for a variety of hard core nasty pathogens, but is a non starter for our purposes.  Don't they use H2O2 to make peroxide blondes?  Uh... no thanks.

Read of folks soaking a brush in one tablespoon of Borax in a cup of water for 10 minutes to disinfect with no ill effects.  Might be something we can use. Here's how it works:   https://www.thoughtco.com/how-does-borax-clean-607877

A Borax soak and a Dawn shampoo?

1 95