05-07-2017, 09:57 PM
User Info
So, I have a quick question and would appreciate your input.
Thank you very much.

Recently aquired a few brushes for example two simpson's and one saville row.
My question is the following.
These brushes I aquired were all either slightly used or possibly even unused.
On the first use one shed 5 hairs, the other only 2, and the third shed 14 hairs.
So I'm wondering if that is a side effect of a brush sitting in a dry environment for a longer period of time 
without getting used. I guess I'm concerned  that maybe they will continue to shed. Just want to know more about the shedding aspect
And what I should expect, or even what I could do? If there is anything. I'm not concerned with 2 hairs but 14 and especially that particular brush The Duke by Simpson best badger I know for a fact is virtually unused. I'm starting to think that a brush sitting around does more harm then it being used regularly. Should I plan on discontinuing use of a brush shed that much on its first use since obtaining it. Any info would be appreciated.
Guess I'm still green when it comes to the different aspects of shaving brushes. I would like to understand more about shedding and what it means besides Just the brush is defective. Thank you for your help.

6 60
 05-08-2017, 05:23 AM
User Info
If you or the brushes have lived or currently live in a dry climate the hairs could be overly dry and brittle. I would try a couple shampoo and conditioner cycles. See if that helps. If the shedding persists you may have other issues. Are you letting the brushes soak in water prior to use? If so how long?

20 1,362
 05-08-2017, 08:07 PM
User Info
I'll go out on a limb and guess that the Saville Row is the brush that shed only two hairs....

160 1,040
 05-09-2017, 12:05 AM
User Info
I used the sr today and it shed one more. You are correct. So its shed on both shaves, the other one I can't even use which is a Simpson Best Badger The Duke. It shed 14 hairs on the first shave. I'm starting to think that brushes that sit for years may without being used develop some sort of problems. I can't chalk it all up to me just buying defective brushes there has to be more to it. I'm definitely not in a dry climate and I lather all my brushes in rotation. Anyway just strange and wondering what other people think. I just think when brushes don't get used its causing as much damage as a brush being improperly handled. I could be wrong but I'm starting to see a pattern imo. 

Thanks for the responses, its appreciated.

6 60
 05-09-2017, 04:40 AM
User Info
I've had a couple of shedders over the years. One was a Plisson 12 HMW that I bought brand new from Atkinsons in Vancouver, BC. I called and let them know it was shedding every shave after a few go rounds, and I was told to use the brush for 3 months. If the shedding continued the brush would be replaced. So I began gathering the shed hairs and at the end of the three months I took a photo and emailed same to Atkinsons. I sent the 12 back and they replaced the brush with another 12 HMW. 

What was interesting to me was that if I didn't know the brush had shed hairs for 3 months I couldn't have seen that by looking at it. I had posted about this on shaving forums and was told that brushes are comprised of thousands of hairs. Losing a hundred or two individual hairs is negligible as long as it isn't in clumps. I had another high end brush that began shedding virtually every shave, but I had bought it used and had no recourse. So I kept it in rotation and hoped for the best. After countless shaves one day the brush stopped shedding and, so far, has never shed another hair. I've since wondered if I'd have kept that first Plisson if it also would have eventually stopped shedding. Best of luck with your brushes.

7 236
 05-09-2017, 03:00 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
I had the same problem with Plisson HMW 12 bought brand new also from Atkinsons in Vancouver . The brush shed at list 5 hair per shave and never stop for 6 months , so I returned it and got replacement  brush from France who also start shedding . I contacted Plisson in France and explained my saga and fortunately they send me another replacement brush .The last one is just fine .
So I think that the shedding problem lay in the hand and skills of the person who is forming and attaching the knot . I highly recommend  to anyone to buy new brushes with warranty  from manufacturers and avoiding this shedding problem .

10 424
 05-09-2017, 03:09 PM
User Info
Typically I've experienced some shedding when brand new that stops after a few shaves. Anywhere from just a few to  10+ hairs. Used brushes should not be shedding once broken in. I have 2 Simpson colonel x2l's in best badger that are shedders. 1 is quite bad, constant shedding, def needs a knot replacement. When held up next to the other identical brush it is noticeably less dense. The other I haven't used due to a certain acquisition disorder that caused it to be left in the closet, but its said to shed a hair every shave or 2. Might be time for an elite razors  Manchurian knot replacement

28 777
 05-10-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
(05-08-2017, 05:23 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: If you or the brushes have lived or currently live in a dry climate the hairs could be overly dry and brittle.  I would try a couple shampoo and conditioner cycles.  See if that helps.  If the shedding persists you may have other issues.  Are you letting the brushes soak in water prior to use? If so how long?

I agree with Tappan-- a couple shampoo and conditioner cycles might solve the problems.  Sometimes not all the hair gets completely glued in; so shedding a few hairs at the outset is not necessarily a cause for concern.  But if they continue to shed after the shampoo/conditioning cycles and, at most, 4 or 5 more shaves, I'd reach out to the maker(s) who, I'm sure, will offer to replace the knots.  You might be on the hook for shipping, but for what these brushes cost, that's a drop in the bucket.

2 629
 05-10-2017, 03:25 PM
User Info
Very good points when i am going to do just that. I invested too much money not to work through the problem. I am thinking the shampoo/conditioning is a good start and then if the issue persists check into getting the knots replaced.

Thank you all very much for the detailed responses. Its highly appreciated and its great to know that there is still a place left where someone can get good old honest information.

I am going to work with them and I will update periodically on how this works out. I used the s&r brush yesterday and it shed two more hairs but I am going to reset and will update.

Thanks,
Marc

6 60
 05-10-2017, 03:30 PM
User Info
This maybe a dumb question but does anyone work with old brush knots to repair them or reuse the hair?

6 60
 05-10-2017, 06:19 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have some high end brushes that I have been using in rotation for 2-3 years, and occasionally they will shed several hairs. Continuing use hasn't changed the shedding. I stopped worrying about it and just keep using the brushes (and enjoying them). I really don't think some hair loss with the first 5-10 uses is a problem.

I did have a brush that lost hair in clumps. The manufacturer replaced this one for me.

43 1,705
 05-16-2017, 03:49 PM
User Info
I bought a Rooney Heritage Stubby 1 about two months ago. It has shed at least 2 hairs every time I have used it.
I contacted the vendor and told them about the shedding and asked for a replacement. They told me that all brushes shed at first and that I need to give it time or it may be the soap/cream that I'm using. (I'm using MDC)
So, I cleaned it with dishwashing detergent and a distilled vinegar soak. After cleaning the brush, I used it the next day. The brush shed 7 hairs.
I'm saving the hairs so I can take a photo of them to e-mail the vendor. I'm going to use the brush about another week or two. Then, I'm going to e-mail the photo and ask for a replacement again.

Update: I e-mailed the photo of the hair loss to the vendor. They finally agreed to replace the brush.

0 50
 05-16-2017, 04:50 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-16-2017, 03:49 PM)Wayjr Wrote: I contacted the vendor and told them about the shedding and asked for a replacement. They told me that all brushes shed at first and that I need to give it time or it may be the soap/cream that I'm using.

That vendor deserves no sympathy; more than that, he/she/it has no credibility.  
Do not accept that response.  
CHALLENGE!

1 1,102